Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,262

2 members and 3,260 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: New Snake

Thanks

New Snake

I got my first snake on 11/12 i left it alone for the first week except for getting rid of the mites the first 3 days and a daily water change. the snake i got was clean but my son held alot of other snakes so i think we got them from the others but who knows. i fed her a live mouse on 11/19 and she attacked it with a vengeance. she attacked it killed it then dropped it and struck at the side of his cage at us. we stopped watching and left the room. i took it that it wanted to be left alone. my wife and both kids and i was all watching it so i figured it was to much. i was able to pick up the snake for the mite cleaning and all was fine but now when i changed her water today she got really defencive and was acting like she was gonna strike but she didn't. should i hold off a few more days or go ahead with the first handling tomorrow? im sure ill get bit but i dont mind a first snake bite. but whats best for her?
    0.1 Normal BP -Persephone (goddess of the underworld)

Thanks

Re: New Snake

You could wait until she gets a few more feeds into her, but you should be fine for a very short handling session. I would start out with about 5 minutes or so to start with. Do worry if they get a bit defensive, to them you're a huge giant of a thing that might eat them. Just try and stay quiet and steady. Don't let them think that their behavior will impact your reactions. (ie. If they hiss, pick em up anyway) Best of luck.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I held her today for about 15 mins and then put her back and all was fine. the kids found out about it so i let my son hold her and she was OK with it till i went to get her back in her cage and i must have moved to quick and she lunged at me but didn't bite. i would still call it a success. thx for the help everyone.

Thanks

I was thinking of naming one of my girls that's on the way Persephone.... hurumph! Now I have to change goddesses.
    Ken

Thanks

someone here has Malachi and i have always wanted to name a pet that after seeing children of the corn. ill still use it for my male when i get it. my name is Mike and there is 5 Mikes on every street you drive down so it cant hurt to have more then one.

Thanks

The handling went well. everyday for about 15 minuets to 1/2 hour depending on her squeamishness. some days she loves it and it seems she don't want to go back home. today i woke up and she had a large turd and a lump of yellow something right next to it. what was that sold urine? i opened her cage to clean it out and she had a full shed on the other side and she is so shiny and her skin colors are so vivid and beautiful. i figured i would feed her a rat this time since the mouse seemed a little small for her. wow i'm still amazed at how quick she is. so i guess i have everything right if shes shedding and eating good and you can handle her. would that be a safe assumption?

Thanks

Wow, ate, defacted, passed a urate (that's their dry form of urine basically) and a complete shed!...sounds like things are going along well!

I'm the one with a male ball python named Malachi but by all means feel free to use it yourself. I didn't see that movie but just named him from an irish/celtic site I get all our snake's names from.

Just a thought but if the snake has just taken the one meal successfully from you, don't get in too big a rush to push the bigger prey or prey type switch too fast. Maybe get a few meals into her before you mess around with changing what works. Just a suggestion though, not gospel LOL.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~