Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,901

2 members and 2,899 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Eating Response - Normal or Adjustments Needed

Hey There...

I decided to look closer at my 3 year old BPs feeding records because it always seems like he’s refusing food or at least moreso this year then last. Besides maturation, I upgraded his enclosure to a larger AP T10 which I’ve included a picture to see if I should add more clutter.

Here’s some feeding stats:

1/2019 - 11/2019 (smaller enclosure) 16 feedings & 4 refusals

11/15/2029 - Present (AP T10): 3 feedings and 4 refusals *** one of the feedings I decided to give him a smaller weaned rat rather then a small rat ***

This could be just all typical BP normalcy but thought I would take a deeper look and ask the forum. I usually try a feeding about once a month.

He’s 636 grams today and was 543 last year at this time. He’s peaked (before poop) at 737 grams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (04-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Beautiful snake! Is the light on all the time, or just for the photo shoot?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Eating Response - Normal or Adjustments Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Beautiful snake! Is the light on all the time, or just for the photo shoot?
    Thank you! I've contemplated replacing him with another BOA because I hate the feeding issues but he's my 1st snake and he's so tame. I take him to my kids school all the time to teach the other kids about snakes.

It's on an 8 hour timer. The timer helps greatly with the Boa up top. The light goes off and his feeding response turns on
    Last edited by ckuhn003; 04-13-2020 at 03:45 PM.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

What are you feeding him normally (small or weaned rat) and how often are you offering?

How long has he been in the new enclosure?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    What are you feeding him normally (small or weaned rat) and how often are you offering?

How long has he been in the new enclosure?
    I normally feed him small frozen rats with the exception a couple weeks ago when I offered him a smaller weaned frozen rat which he took.

When he's slow eating like he is now, I tend to offer once a month. When he's showing a good feeding response, I tend to feed every one or two weeks If he refuses, I always wait a considerable amount of time before I retry as to not stress him out.

One other thing to note, he rarely ever strikes so it's usually a drop in front of his hide and come back the next day to see if he took it.

He's been in the new enclosure since November 2019.

1/2019 - 11/2019 (smaller enclosure) 16 feedings & 4 refusals

11/15/2029 - Present (AP T10): 3 feedings and 4 refusals *** one of the feedings I decided to give him a smaller weaned rat rather then a small rat ***

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

At his size and given his resistance to eating regularly, I would go smaller more often.

Try weaned rats every 2 weeks and see if that helps.

For a long time, Shayna, my female BP, was on medium rats and refused often and fasted all winter. She still fasts all winter, but eats almost every two weeks like clockwork on small rats when not in fast. She's grown about 12% in the past year to her highest weight yet (about 1,800G) eating that way.

It's counter intuitive, but smaller meals = fewer refusals.

He looks good and sounds like he's just being a BP. I also think it's normal for them to take some time, especially when not super young, to eat when moved to a new enclosure.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    ...I've contemplated replacing him with another BOA because I hate the feeding issues but he's my 1st snake and he's so tame. I take him to my kids school all the time to teach the other kids about snakes...
    That's the reason I re-homed the BPs I had many years ago...after having them for some years, I had way too much else going on then & felt I was not the right owner for them. They're attractive snakes, the right size to be good pets & docile...but feeding them was such a hassle, & remember, I had no forum back then to ask either.

But one thing, you mention taking your snake "all the time to teach the other kids about snakes" which is a noble cause but not if it causes your BP to go off-feed. I'm sure that "all the time" was an exaggeration, but it's still something you want to think twice about doing. There are plenty of mellow snakes that always feed great whether or not they do programs & meet strangers, but your BP might not be one of them. Stop doing that & see if it helps? BPs & most all snakes are so stoic it's very hard to read them & know if they're stressing. I know because I've been doing programs & "meet & greets" with my snakes for many years, & without my snakes fasting afterwards. But BPs are different.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-13-2020 at 08:10 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (04-13-2020)

Thanks

At his size and given his resistance to eating regularly, I would go smaller more often.

Try weaned rats every 2 weeks and see if that helps.

For a long time, Shayna, my female BP, was on medium rats and refused often and fasted all winter. She still fasts all winter, but eats almost every two weeks like clockwork on small rats when not in fast. She's grown about 12% in the past year to her highest weight yet (about 1,800G) eating that way.

It's counter intuitive, but smaller meals = fewer refusals.

He looks good and sounds like he's just being a BP. I also think it's normal for them to take some time, especially when not super young, to eat when moved to a new enclosure.
    I should have said, "It's counter intuitive, but smaller meals = fewer refusals AND more growth.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-14-2020)

Thanks

I should have said, "It's counter intuitive, but smaller meals = fewer refusals AND more growth.
    Dave, that's some good advice and I'll go ahead and give it a try. I just figured a wean rat was just too small and wouldn't provide much of anything to a 600 plus gram BP but I get where you are coming from. Maybe after a couple, it'll kick start his appetite.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    But one thing, you mention taking your snake "all the time to teach the other kids about snakes" which is a noble cause but not if it causes your BP to go off-feed. I'm sure that "all the time" was an exaggeration, but it's still something you want to think twice about doing. There are plenty of mellow snakes that always feed great whether or not they do programs & meet strangers, but your BP might not be one of them. Stop doing that & see if it helps? BPs & most all snakes are so stoic it's very hard to read them & know if they're stressing. I know because I've been doing programs & "meet & greets" with my snakes for many years, & without my snakes fasting afterwards. But BPs are different.
    All the time was more of an exaggeration on my part. It's more like a once a year thing but it was meant to prove the point that I've he's so 'trustworthy' that I tend to keep him around for that reason....and also he's my 1st snake. Appreciate the concern which is definitely a valid one.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-14-2020)