Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,391

3 members and 1,388 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

How hot is too hot??

Hi there, I wanted to ask for your thoughts and knowledge about how higher temperatures affects a bp.

I find that the most stated max temperature is 32.2 Celsius. I’ve heard of 33.3, 35, and 30, but I find 32.2 is most common, so I’ll stick with that temperature for this question.

I’ve heard that having too much heat can stress out a snake. Is this true? How many degrees above that max temperature would it take to cause stress, both short term and long term. And are there health issues in the future when exposed to too much heat for a prolonged period? If so, about how long does that period need to be and at what temperature?

I would also like to know if too much underbelly heat has different affects to say a heat lamp causing too high of temperatures. If so what would these varying side affects be?

Also, I would also like to know at what amount of degrees after raising the temperature past the max would start causing burns?

I’m very curious and like to learn as much as I can about bp husbandry. Both the requirements, and varying effects. I’ve tried to search this up but I’m left with “too hot of temperatures can cause burns” as my answer. So I’m looking for some knowledge about the in between.

Anything helps. Let me know what you think

Thanks

Re: How hot is too hot??

Quote Originally Posted by Faith.luu View Post
    Hi there, I wanted to ask for your thoughts and knowledge about how higher temperatures affects a bp.

I find that the most stated max temperature is 32.2 Celsius. I’ve heard of 33.3, 35, and 30, but I find 32.2 is most common, so I’ll stick with that temperature for this question.

I’ve heard that having too much heat can stress out a snake. Is this true? How many degrees above that max temperature would it take to cause stress, both short term and long term. And are there health issues in the future when exposed to too much heat for a prolonged period? If so, about how long does that period need to be and at what temperature?

I would also like to know if too much underbelly heat has different affects to say a heat lamp causing too high of temperatures. If so what would these varying side affects be?

Also, I would also like to know at what amount of degrees after raising the temperature past the max would start causing burns?

I’m very curious and like to learn as much as I can about bp husbandry. Both the requirements, and varying effects. I’ve tried to search this up but I’m left with “too hot of temperatures can cause burns” as my answer. So I’m looking for some knowledge about the in between.

Anything helps. Let me know what you think

You're not going to find the answers you're looking for.
    To the best of my knowledge, nobody has conducted experiments on the exact minimum amount of heat required to injure a ball python, and honestly I hope nobody ever does.

In general heat damage from heat pads & Rocks will usually result in burns as they come in direct contact with the snake, but don't raise ambient temperatures much.
    Heat damage from a heating element that dramatically raises ambient temps (bulbs, heat panels, ect) has the potential to "fry" the snakes brain, snakes that have suffered this abuse may corkscrew worse than a sensational youtube spider.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PartySnake13 For This Useful Post:

Faith.luu (04-14-2020),vivi (04-13-2020)

Thanks
    Ditto the above response, you aren't going to find an answer.

I hope no one has or ever will conduct an experiment on a BP to see "how hot is too hot". That would be cruel.

Just follow the general guidelines of BP heating. It doesn't matter "how hot is too hot" as long as your temps are dialed in and your thermostat probe is in the correct place.

Oh, and don't EVER use a heat rock.
    Last edited by vivi; 04-13-2020 at 10:33 AM.
    vivi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

Faith.luu (04-14-2020)