Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,180

1 members and 3,179 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question For those with Exo Terra and herpstat question about heat setting!

So I just upgraded my Coral Glow to the 36" Exo Terra. I got it for free from my aunt who no longer needed it and she also had a new heat mat laying around as well (in his 24" Exo Terra I was using heat tape). For the hot side...My question is what do you guys typically set your heat mat to on the herpstat? I have the probe between the mat and the glass. If I set the Herptstat to about 95 the glass gets to about 80 and the snake on top of the substrate is about 77. Does it seem weird to have the herpstat set high like 100 to make the glass about 85 and substrate like 82? Just curious. Had the same issue/quesiton with the heat tape in the old tank.
    1.0 Coral Glow BP
    2.3.2 Crested Gecko
    0.1 Leachianus
    1.2 Golden Retriever
    1.0 Maine Coon

Thanks

Re: For those with Exo Terra and herpstat question about heat setting!

Quote Originally Posted by PCOOLEY13 View Post
    So I just upgraded my Coral Glow to the 36" Exo Terra. I got it for free from my aunt who no longer needed it and she also had a new heat mat laying around as well (in his 24" Exo Terra I was using heat tape). For the hot side...My question is what do you guys typically set your heat mat to on the herpstat? I have the probe between the mat and the glass. If I set the Herptstat to about 95 the glass gets to about 80 and the snake on top of the substrate is about 77. Does it seem weird to have the herpstat set high like 100 to make the glass about 85 and substrate like 82? Just curious. Had the same issue/quesiton with the heat tape in the old tank.
    Not at all. You want to make constant temp checks until the 'glass' is the temp you want it to be at. I think my BPs are somewhere around 88ish. I wouldn't worry to much about the substrate temps because your BP will bury enough where it's resting on the glass. And make sure you are using a temp gun to measure the temps which it sounds like you are if you're getting both a glass and substrate temp.
    Last edited by ckuhn003; 04-10-2020 at 09:56 PM.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-10-2020)

Thanks

Yeah I am using a temp gun. Currently the guy is in shed so I'm trying to not bother him so much. It just feels so weird to have the herpstat set to like 100 and getting a 80ish degree reading on the glass. What size CHE should I be using. I switched out his 60watt for a 100 watt but the herpstat is still showing 100% power.
    1.0 Coral Glow BP
    2.3.2 Crested Gecko
    0.1 Leachianus
    1.2 Golden Retriever
    1.0 Maine Coon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PCOOLEY13 View Post
    Yeah I am using a temp gun. Currently the guy is in shed so I'm trying to not bother him so much. It just feels so weird to have the herpstat set to like 100 and getting a 80ish degree reading on the glass. What size CHE should I be using. I switched out his 60watt for a 100 watt but the herpstat is still showing 100% power.
    I've never used a CHE and I'm curious why you need one if you have a heat mat?

Also, I just checked some of my old notes and I saw where my Herpstat was set around 100 to achieve a surface temp of 89.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

To keep the ambient temps on the cold side around 80
    1.0 Coral Glow BP
    2.3.2 Crested Gecko
    0.1 Leachianus
    1.2 Golden Retriever
    1.0 Maine Coon