Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,842

1 members and 2,841 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,817 Times in 11,840 Posts

Re: Best pythons or boas??

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I love Australian pythons, and while a 40g tank may be too small for an adult carpet, it could house a Childrens or Spotted python nicely.
    Yes...my 12 year old Aussie is not over 4'...some things I've read say they can get 4-5', but that's gotta take a while...they start out pretty small & even a great eater like mine isn't growing that fast. A 40 gal tank is perfect for one of these. Not the fanciest bright colors but a win for ease of care & personality. Mine is a dark greenish "granite phase"& she has real nice iridescence too...when I've done "meet & greets" with her, she was very much admired, as well as docile being held by total strangers. An excellent choice IMO.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-10-2020 at 10:59 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (04-11-2020),vivi (04-10-2020)

Thanks
    Looks are definitely not everything for me, IMO all snakes look cool (show me an ugly snake) and I love high contrast colors as much as the next guy, but I would be more than happy with a "regular" looking morph or "dull" looking snake.
    Temperament is also not a huge thing (as long as they aren't venomous ) because I am willing to work with defensive snakes.
    It's more about the husbandry and if I can provide the needs and a happy life for the animal. If I can't provide those needs now or in the future I won't even consider getting said snake.
    I have nothing against BPs and think they are awesome snakes, however I would like something more active.
    Last edited by vivi; 04-10-2020 at 11:19 PM.
    vivi

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-10-2020),dakski (04-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    What's the price range on these suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by vivi View Post
    The dwarf boas Vin Russo breeds are drop dead GORGEOUS. Thank you for the suggestion, however a lot of them are out of stock and *probably* out of my price range.
    I can comment a bit on Vin's dwarf boa prices -- I've got a boa from him, and I see him at expos fairly frequently.

The boas you see commanding a high dollar on his Facebook page are typically his holdback-quality and rare locality stuff. He's typically got a lot of good dwarf boas in the US$200-400 range in the late summer and fall -- think hypo het leopard Sonorans, hypo het blood Central American crosses, a few Mexican and Central American localities, that sort of stuff. Visual leopard or blood boas are when you start breaking into the US$600-800+ range.

Vin's boas are worth the money, in my opinion. The boas he breeds are high quality -- the locality boas are pure, the morph-y boas are beautiful, and I haven't heard of anyone getting a boa from him that wasn't clean and healthy. The man knows and cares for his boas, and it shows.

Back to your original question: I wouldn't recommend housing a dwarf boa in a 40G tank. A 4'x2'x2' PVC or wooden enclosure would be far more appropriate for their size and activity level, with the benefit of easier temperature and humidity control. I say this as someone who has young boas in a 4'x2'x2' PVC enclosure and a 20L tank right now. I can't wait to move the boa in the 20L out and into a PVC enclosure -- I've insulated that tank and covered the top, and it's still a struggle to keep things where they need to be! If you're set on using the 40G, an Antaresia python or rosy boa would be best. Good luck!
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-10-2020),GoingPostal (04-11-2020),vivi (04-10-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    Back to your original question: I wouldn't recommend housing a dwarf boa in a 40G tank. A 4'x2'x2' PVC or wooden enclosure would be far more appropriate for their size and activity level, with the benefit of easier temperature and humidity control.
    Thanks for the input! Unfortunately I don't have the space for anything bigger than a 40G and its good to know that you wouldn't recommend keeping a dwarf boa in a 40G, maybe someday I will get one though. I would only want the best for any snake. My family doesn't want anything to do with my first snake so I have to keep it in my room, and I have a desk perfect for that. Antaresia are rad, and I will definitely look into them.
    vivi

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-10-2020),WrongPython (04-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,817 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vivi View Post
    Looks are definitely not everything for me, IMO all snakes look cool (show me an ugly snake) and I love high contrast colors as much as the next guy, but I would be more than happy with a "regular" looking morph or "dull" looking snake.
    Temperament is also not a huge thing (as long as they aren't venomous ) because I am willing to work with defensive snakes.
    It's more about the husbandry and if I can provide the needs and a happy life for the animal. If I can't provide those needs now or in the future I won't even consider getting said snake.
    I have nothing against BPs and think they are awesome snakes, however I would like something more active.
    I meet many ppl who really know nothing about snakes but are curious when I've done "meet & greets" with some of my snakes at the local Wildlife Expo: many people think that all pythons are HUGE, & are quite surprised to find out that "this is a real python" ("see those heat-sensing pits?"), LOL.

As far as activity, most snakes aren't exactly in "track & field" but it's nice to have snakes that don't stress out easily from a "change in scenery". The "Wildlife Expos" I've been participating in have lasted an average of 4+ hours with a crowd around me for most of that time. I take 3 or 4 snakes with me & switch off, giving them short breaks. None of my snakes have ever freaked out or "misbehaved"...but we're all really tired after it's over, lol. Sadly we won't be doing it this year, "thanks" to the pandemic.

I think all snakes look pretty cool too...they each fill different niches in nature, & their colors & appearance reflect that. Spotted pythons start out in nature eating tiny lizards, then gradually as they get larger they also get braver & able to take small rodents...so they actually PREFER f/t pinkie mice for first meals. They can be instinctively afraid of pinkie mice...that's actually why I got this python! Her owner was a jerk who was disgusted that she kept refusing to eat live pinkies, he was UN-willing to feed her f/t, & he was going to "stick her in the freezer"! After much conversation, I offered to take her off his hands (I pre-paid the air shipping, sent him the packing materials & told him exactly how to do it) & promised to buy her from him IF she was as he had described (ie. she was not sick, just fussy about eating), & as I reminded him, if he was just going to stick her in the freezer, what did he have to lose anyway? So she came to live with me (as a very small yearling), & within a few hours of her arrival by Fedex, I could tell by her behavior that she was looking for food, so against the advice I generally give ppl (NOT to feed right away) I fed her & she wolfed down 3 f/t pinkies like nothing! She'd have taken more but I said no. I've never had a bit of trouble getting her to eat & I couldn't resist rubbing it in, how she ate immediately. I paid him as promised.

You sound a bit like me, btw...I don't mind a challenge with "defensive" snakes & I've had my share, but this spotted python wasn't ever one of them. She's a cool snake. It's actually helpful to have snakes with different personalities...they manage to teach us more that way. You have the right attitude...putting the snake's needs first, and making sure you can provide for that snake. I think you'll be a good keeper.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-11-2020 at 12:32 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    A male Tarahumara would be ok in a 40 breeder. It would be cramped for a female. The other dwarf boas would outgrow it. Put a plexiglass cover on the top with a DHP to help bump up the ambient (the UV radiation passes through the plexi), and a UTH to create a basking spot, and it'll be fine.

A male Savu would also be fine in it set up similarly.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-11-2020),vivi (04-11-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Her owner was a jerk who was disgusted that she kept refusing to eat live pinkies, he was UN-willing to feed her f/t, & he was going to "stick her in the freezer"!
    I am so glad you got her away from the previous owner. I'm going to look into spotted pythons and other antaresia for sure.
    vivi

14. The Following User Says Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-11-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    A male Tarahumara would be ok in a 40 breeder. It would be cramped for a female. The other dwarf boas would outgrow it. Put a plexiglass cover on the top with a DHP to help bump up the ambient (the UV radiation passes through the plexi), and a UTH to create a basking spot, and it'll be fine.

A male Savu would also be fine in it set up similarly.

It sounds more like that would "work" more than "be ideal" for the snake, although I'm not sure.
    vivi

16. The Following User Says Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    Of all the BI's the Tarahumara would be fine in a 40-breeder because of their natural environment. They're from the hills of Mexico where it's cooler and dryer and they've adapted to live in that environment. So, they'd be more forgiving of the challenges of keeping any other tropical snake in one.

Same with the Savu, they're comfortable in a wider temperature and humidity range because they adapted to use the whole island of Sawu, which is only 60 square miles.

You'll notice that no one suggested a BRB male because while the tank is big enough for them, you'll never keep the humidity over 70% consistently, which is what BRB's need.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-11-2020),vivi (04-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thank you for the advice. Now I have something to research!
    vivi

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast