Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

1 members and 2,874 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: My new boa.

Thanks

My new boa.

Hi to all that view this first off! I am new to this site and I got a lot of help with information off of this forum. So, I just got a new male baby boa constrictor and I am a little concerned. He is highly active and curious as he should be and I've done lots of research before I got him cause I really want to be a good owner to my new buddy. So, I'm concerned because at night I noticed he goes on the top rim of the enclosure and kinda just sits there. It wouldn't be a problem but he's fallen like 3 times and he keeps going back up. Plus, I know snakes (from what I've seen especially boas) try to escape and will keep pushing even if they hurt themselves in the process and I just don't want him to hurt himself or possibly fatally injure himself from a fall. The tank is 16 inches high and I know they are semi-arboreal and they are a lot of muscle and they are pretty hardy. I've cared for reptiles before and I don't want to over react it's just I really want him to be alright. If I could get some help it would be wonderful.

Thanks

Re: My new boa.

0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

Thanks

Hey, my ball keeps doing that too so I ordered a smaller enclosure for him. Not the same obviously as rtbs.
    2 Balls
    Urza, male, 9mo, pastel het axanthic
    Unknown, super pastave

Fish: guppies and pepper corydoras

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TajsReptiles View Post
    Hi to all that view this first off! I am new to this site and I got a lot of help with information off of this forum. So, I just got a new male baby boa constrictor and I am a little concerned. He is highly active and curious as he should be and I've done lots of research before I got him cause I really want to be a good owner to my new buddy. So, I'm concerned because at night I noticed he goes on the top rim of the enclosure and kinda just sits there. It wouldn't be a problem but he's fallen like 3 times and he keeps going back up. Plus, I know snakes (from what I've seen especially boas) try to escape and will keep pushing even if they hurt themselves in the process and I just don't want him to hurt himself or possibly fatally injure himself from a fall. The tank is 16 inches high and I know they are semi-arboreal and they are a lot of muscle and they are pretty hardy. I've cared for reptiles before and I don't want to over react it's just I really want him to be alright. If I could get some help it would be wonderful.
    For us to answer & be of help, a bit more info would be nice. What are you housing him in? Trying to picture the "top rim"...is this a glass tank? If you actually give him some branches (wedge them diagonally from 2 or more corners so the cross in the middle) he'll have something to actually hang onto so he won't fall, or at least be less likely to fall.

What are the temperatures in the enclosure? lowest, highest? If it's too warm, that may be a reason he wants out. Or else he's hungry...are you sure you're feeding him the right size? (again, we aren't seeing him or what size you're feeding him...hint hint)

You are correct that it's better if snakes do not keep falling. While now & then is usually no big deal, it's better to address possible reasons for this & prevent all you can.

And
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-24-2020 at 06:43 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

a year late welcome to you and your Boa and other snakes you have or might have!
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

mikety (02-13-2021)