Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,207

1 members and 3,206 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

New Humidity Problem...

So, a couple of months ago I had a problem with getting the humidity up to 50-60%...but now with spring and my heaters don’t have to be on for as long to maintain ambient temps, the air isn’t as dry so now I have the exact opposite problem! Where as during the winter, my racks were around 30-40ish%, now it’s hard to get them below 74%! I just put a fan in the room to circulate the air and hopefully that’ll help, but will I need to start using Aspen in the spring/summer and Reptichip during the fall/winter? Would it be easier to drill holes for the spring/summer months and switch to no-holed tubs in fall/winter?

There’s no condensation in the tubs at all and most of the substrate isn’t wet, but not bone-dry either; I don’t know how to explain it but it’s how I’ve been told Reptichip is suppose to feel.

This humidity thing is kicking my butt! 😓

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: New Humidity Problem...

If you want to run out of problems, what you can do is set a completely automatic system.
    You didn't mention if your snake is on a cage or a rack, but it can work on both of them. You can purchase an ultrasonic humidifier of 20mm on internet (It's super cheap), there are plenty of videos teaching how to do a DIY Fogger super easy with ultrasonic humidifiers and connected to a computer fan, which is cheap as well. Then you can connect that to a hygrostat, and in that way, you can control humidity.

And if you want to go further, you can make new holes but more like a type of vents way on each side, and attached to them some computer fans (80mm) connected to a hygrostat too. In that way, you will end by achieving how to increase and decrease your humidity as well. Of course, you have to set up the parameters, but it is automatic and cheap. But take in mind that is should be good quality and reliable hygrostat preferably.
    More than that can be to get a dehumidifier, it is going to be more expensive but will work better, of course, connected to a hygrostat and some hygrometers to be reliable.
    All of this is more directed to if you are using a cage but it can be achieved on a rack as well with some simple DIY stuff.

If you were seeking for more simple ways, you can make more holes or preferably vents to decrease humidity and put it near to a window (But is going to be harder for you to maintain therms because of the wind) and to increase it you can use a bigger water bowl, change your substrate to 'cypress mulch' very good substrate and very good keeping humidity, try to humidify it a little bit, not too much; if you want to decrease it try to use aspen. For the last one maybe you can use a light that produces heat to evaporate a little bit more, but it is a double-edged sword because it can produce more problems.

Regards.
    Last edited by HiddenQWERTY; 04-10-2020 at 02:37 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HiddenQWERTY For This Useful Post:

Hi I am Snek (04-10-2020),vivi (04-10-2020)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: New Humidity Problem...

I change water bowl sizes and amounts in the dish, that solves all.. not sure what size tubs you use, of course the smaller the enclosure the more limited you are in space and what you can use during the summer when you need higher humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Hi I am Snek (04-10-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenQWERTY View Post
    Then you can connect that to a hygrostat, and in that way, you can control humidity.
    Good advice, I´m curious where you can find hygrostats?
    vivi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vivi View Post
    Good advice, I´m curious where you can find hygrostats?
    Herpstats have that functionality.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thank you guys, I'm gonna have to rethink on some things. I already switched out the bowls and put a fan in the room to better circulate the air, so hopefully this'll work. I don't know much about hydrostats though, I'll have to look more into them.

I don't know why getting the humidity right is such a problem; from what I've read it's not that hard to get 50-60% in a rack...

Thanks

Post Re: New Humidity Problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Hi I am Snek View Post
    Thank you guys, I don't know much about hydrostats though, I'll have to look more into them.
    I hope you were able to fix your humidity problem and about the thermostats and hygrostats, here is a video that explains pretty well all that you need to know in order for you to choose which can be better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at9j...L&index=6&t=0s

Of course, if you want real quality I recommend you to get an Herpstat without a doubt (Which is not only a thermostat but a hygrostat too), but if you are seeking something cheaper you can try with INKBIRD, they have very good quality for the price.
    I leave you some links from both.

Herpstat:
    https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...dkn96rkqj9una6

INKBIRD:
    https://www.ink-bird.com/products-hu...er-ihc230.html

Those are the models that have the best quality, cost, benefit for their price.

If you are not into the DIY thing you can get a fogger but of course, it is going to cost more because of the brand.
    https://zoomed.com/repti-fogger-terrarium-humidifier/
    Last edited by HiddenQWERTY; 04-11-2020 at 04:29 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HiddenQWERTY For This Useful Post:

Hi I am Snek (04-11-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenQWERTY View Post
    I hope you were able to fix your humidity problem and about the thermostats and hygrostats, here is a video that explains pretty well all that you need to know in order for you to choose which can be better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at9j...L&index=6&t=0s

Of course, if you want real quality I recommend you to get an Herpstat without a doubt (Which is not only a thermostat but a hygrostat too), but if you are seeking something cheaper you can try with INKBIRD, they have very good quality for the price.
    I leave you some links from both.

Herpstat:
    https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...dkn96rkqj9una6

INKBIRD:
    https://www.ink-bird.com/products-hu...er-ihc230.html

Those are the models that have the best quality, cost, benefit for their price.

If you are not into the DIY thing you can get a fogger but of course, it is going to cost more because of the brand.
    https://zoomed.com/repti-fogger-terrarium-humidifier/

How'd I miss that Snake Discovery video...?

But thank you, I think I'll try to get that Herpstat with that Stimulus check whenever it's suppose to be delivered.

Thanks

I think it is important to remember that in nature, temperature, humidity, and light/dark cycles tend to vary with the season. I'm not suggesting that you ignore your humidity variation. I'm just suggesting that you not get too crazy focusing on one specific number. Here's a chart of season variations in humidity from Western Australia.