Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,024

1 members and 3,023 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

waterfall pond for enclosure.

I am setting up a large grow tent for my tegu and will now have room for a small pond. I want to make a small pond with a rock waterfall in the corner. I have no experience with making ponds or waterfalls. What supplies do i need and how should i create the waterfall? I was thinking of stacking rocks or gluing them somehow? Any help would be great! What pumps do i need and what glue would work for the rocks. also, do i need a filter of some sort? My Tegu likes to potty in the water.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks
    All I can tell you is to plan it out extremely well. I also keep and breed dart frogs and I’ve seen a lot of water features end up being torn out after a few weeks. The biggest problem is people building things and then realizing they didn’t think of everything, or it was too hard to keep clean or any number of things that can end up going wrong. You definitely need filtration, both physical and biological, and probably way more than you think with your animal doing it’s business in the water. You also need to figure out if the tegu will rip everything out and flood the room.

I’m not trying to discourage you. Water features can be amazing. I’ve seen really good and laughably bad. Planning seams to be the biggest thing.

If you are building a big pond you may be able to get a kiddie pool and decorate around it, something like that. You can find pre formed plastic turtle ponds and do the same thing. that’s the route I think I would go with.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJohn For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-09-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-09-2020)

Thanks

Re: waterfall pond for enclosure.

Do you know anything about what filters and or pumps i will need? i am going to use a pre molded tub from lowes or somewhere.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    Do you know anything about what filters and or pumps i will need? i am going to use a pre molded tub from lowes or somewhere.
    I have retics that love large water features. Lots of work to keep clean but also keep humidity up. My retics prefer to pee and poop in there. I don't have a tegu or their care but humidity will be higher with a waterfall. Much higher. I use a fish tank water heater on a thermostat to heat the water also. Creates a nice warm spot but not to warm. I built the filter and heater canister out of 6 inch PVC pipe and capped both ends and ran pluming from the bottom to the top to cycle through. Frogs are a nice add and also make sure you clean it regularly to keep mold down. you have to clean everything!!!!!!!!!! No Clorox or anything else that might hurt him. I also allow the water to sit for a day to off gas before putting in the enclosures. Keep in mind that this will be lot more work. My water pump is one that sits outside the enclosure and is just above my filter and heater. I start with an air-conditioner filter cut to shape of the PVC pipe then make a more dense roll of it inside it. Not the screen kind. This seams to work well and not come apart on me. My pump can be flow regulated so not to much flow for my system. I built the system myself and not sure it will meet the approval of some here but it works and no large crud gets to my pump. I am sure you could buy an RO system for $$$$ but I spend less than $200 on the pump and filter and pluming parts. I placed rocks and then carbon fibered everything to seal it up and so I have no leaks in the 7 months it has been in place. The carbon fiber was easy to seal up shape to the rocks and pool. It also holds paint well. I added a layer of epoxy after painting so even that is sealed in and I put 3 layers of carbon fiber. I enjoy it and so does Rainbow. She has never had stuck shed or mold issues but I clean it weekly and more if she poops or pees in it. It holds around 50 gallons of water.

Thanks

thank you. i'm talking about a small 3 or 5 gallon tub that just has running water going into it. I need to find the right pump/filter for it.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    thank you. i'm talking about a small 3 or 5 gallon tub that just has running water going into it. I need to find the right pump/filter for it.
    A good large fish tank filter should work and have good pumping force to do so.

Thanks

think it would work to run the water to the filter with the pump and have the filter make the waterfall? how about a pump like this?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L54HB83...dDbGljaz10cnVl
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated

Thanks
    Search canister filters for aquariums.