Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 610

0 members and 610 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Where are those tank stands at?

Hey guys!

I'm thinking about getting a larger tank for a snake (when I can eventually get one in all this craziness). The tank's not the problem. The stand is!

Anyone have any suggestions for places to tank out for decent tank/terrariums stands?

Seems everywhere I look and every way I google, I exclusively find aquarium stands. They all seem to be set up long and narrow. 'Narrow' is the problem here since they're all too thin for bigger reptile enclosures that have more non-vertical square footage.

I'd like to start browsing places online if possible, so that when I can go out shopping again, I can go get one right away.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    What dimensions are you thinking about? (length & width)

I'm a tank fan myself, & when I was in California, aquarium stores carried very well-made wood stands (some of which I still have) but I also
    think in terms of furniture. Maybe in thrift stores too. Another idea: 2 of my tanks are each on a pair of basic oak end tables, which when
    put together are the right size for the wider tanks. See? Sometimes you have to be a little creative. And sometimes you can also use a
    tank stand, but just put (fasten) a wider "table top" onto it...just make sure it's stable. (And by "table top" I mean you can have some ply-
    wood cut to size for you at most any hardware/lumber place.) And of course, you can always consult a "handyman" too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-09-2020 at 12:01 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Check the racks that Home Depo an Lowes sell. I have my T8s, 40L an 75 gallon tanks on them. Another thing to look at in your area is Welders. A little bit of drop (scrap) an $50 can get you a nice stand. Local high School that has welding always needs projects.

Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-09-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Been there, done that. Trying to find a suitable size stand is a pain, but one that does not cost you too much money is even more difficult to find.

That was the dilemma I faced with my BTS' tank, which was an aquarium about 275 gallons, 4 x 2. We ended up building our own using cinder blocks and plywood. Total cost was about $80? It is a popular DIY stand made of cinder blocks. It will hold the weight of a heavy tank, you can customize it by painting the color of the bricks or changing how many shelves you want or how it can look, no one noticed that I used cinder blocks, there are 2 sizes available and very affordable. A piece of plywood cut to the size of your liking, I don't remember which one I used, plus a can of spray paint of any color you like.

Cons are they are heavy, if you don't own a truck you may need to make several trips to the store, due to the heavy weight, it is best to use them on the 1st floor, you can't stack tanks and it may not appeal to you or your SO.

I also use a steel 4 x 2 racks from Wal-Mart. I hate it though because the foot is a steel bar that can scratch wooden floors when moved. They look ugly compared to my cinder block stand. I would still recommend racks for multiple tanks. I would have preferred the ones with bars instead of the solid wood planks.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 04-10-2020 at 01:06 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Ah yes, cinder blocks & shelves...you're making me remember my college days. That does work well & counts as exercise too, at least when you move them around.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-10-2020 at 01:18 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Where are those tank stands at?

Quote Originally Posted by VelkynKarma View Post
    Hey guys!

I'm thinking about getting a larger tank for a snake (when I can eventually get one in all this craziness). The tank's not the problem. The stand is!

Anyone have any suggestions for places to tank out for decent tank/terrariums stands?

Seems everywhere I look and every way I google, I exclusively find aquarium stands. They all seem to be set up long and narrow. 'Narrow' is the problem here since they're all too thin for bigger reptile enclosures that have more non-vertical square footage.

I'd like to start browsing places online if possible, so that when I can go out shopping again, I can go get one right away.

Anyone have any tips?
    I built a stand for a 50 gallon (or so) tank out of 2 by 4's and plywood, so it needn't cost you an arm an a leg if you're in any way handy.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Where are those tank stands at?

A Iron Tank stand or dresser with a piece of 3/4” thick Plywood painted works great. I bought one for $30 on FB Market Place, put the plywood on top to match the tank size and its been great for 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)