Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,869

4 members and 2,865 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

New Monitor (Argo)

Hey all
    I have been raising reptiles and everything from spiders to snakes to water dragons all that. I did a lot of research and decided to pursue my new hobby which is my savannah monitor. So far it has been a great experience and I'm full on board and loving it. The issue I'm having is getting him used to me. I am well aware that monitors are not "like dogs"but he is not in the mood at all to be picked up. Once I have him out of this tank he never hisses at me or tries to bite me but in his tank he will back away from being picked up and will hiss sometimes. I have definitely made progress so far when I first got him he would hiss and try to bite, now he never tries to bite and tolerates my hand by him at least just not on him. He is only 7 weeks old I just want to be sure I do this whole "taming" thing the right way. I decided to back off trying to pick him up all the time so I dont stress him and have started today just keeping myself busy in his tank talking to him but not trying to pick him up. Is this the right approach? Or should I go back to saying screw it and essentially chasing him around his cage till I grab him and pick him up? Is this just the normal baby monitor experience?

Habitat for him is spot on with temps and all that and he's eating well and all that so it's not a sick thing it's just a doesn't want me to pick him up thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Don't come from above with spread fingers when you pick him up, it resembles a bird of prey talons. Instead put your hand on the substrate and approach him from the side and them pick him up.
    I would say continue to handle him every day. Keep it short and sweet.
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

Thanks
    Google socializing monitor lizards NERD, what they do is amazing.

Thanks
    Hello and congrats on the new monitor! They are addicting creatures to care for once you really get into the weeds of it. lol

My advice would be do not force handle the lizard. Don't disturb it if it's hiding unless absolutely necessary (typically for medical purposes) and allow the animal to get used to your presence. A good way to do this is stick your hand or arm in the cage and don't move much. The lizard will eventually get curious and come over to smell you/check you out. Don't stress if it gets your smell and runs away, just keep going and eventually the fear will start to go away, once that happens curiosity takes over and it will readily come over to you. A way to sort of speed up this process is by tong feeding, savannahs are especially food motivated. Patience is key and if you do it right and gain the trust of the lizard, it will be a very fun pet to have.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to varanidguy For This Useful Post:

Ciaran_songs (06-11-2020)