Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,831

2 members and 2,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

I think I changed my snake's circadian rhythm

Ever since the whole COVID-19 lock down started, my sleep schedule has completely flipped around so I'm awake for most of the night and sleeping in (terrible, I know!). My BP's enclosure is in my room so the lights are on for most of the night and then the curtains are drawn and the room is dark for a large part of the day. Today I noticed something bizarre--my BP has started coming out during the day! When I woke up at noon I saw him cruising around his enclosure. After I turned on the light he promptly returned to his hide.

Before this, I never, ever saw him out during the day, only at night after 7pm or after the lights were out. I think my sleep schedule and the lights being on at night/curtains and darkness during the day has confused him and I feel really bad now

Not sure that this observation is any kind of conclusive evidence but I think this suggests light does affect a BP's circadian rhythm (or maybe there is some other variable here causing this behaviour which I haven't figured out yet). In any case, I think I'll be trying to go back to a slightly more normal sleep schedule for my Noodle, as it probably isn't good for him (or me either!).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I wouldn't beat yourself up too much, but yeah, I think your snake might be a little confused, lol. Funny you mention this...I'm used to staying up late myself, but have
    found myself staying up later than usual too...oops! I'll be changing that too, as I'll be gardening more in the mornings now in warmer weather.

It's actually easy for me to sleep in late, as my dogs don't wake me up...they wait for me to wake THEM up, & I have black-out panels on my bedroom windows because the house behind me has a security light that comes on at all hours when anything (like a dang cat!) walks thru their yard. I miss the house I had in
    the desert, with NO close neighbors...oh well.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-07-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (04-09-2020)

Thanks

Re: I think I changed my snake's circadian rhythm

Liker Bog said.. Wouldn't worry about it. Our room has natural light during the day and obviously darkness at night. I have always fed during the day as long as I have been in. It shouldn't mess with the feeding which would be the only concern I would have. I have found that if their conditions are correct they will eat pretty much anytime.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (04-09-2020)

Thanks

Thank you both for the input! I'm glad that a change of sleep schedule wouldn't do too much harm to my BP although it isn't ideal. He sticks his head out of his hide to wait for food in the middle of the afternoon too now, which he also used to only do at night!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I wouldn't beat yourself up too much, but yeah, I think your snake might be a little confused, lol. Funny you mention this...I'm used to staying up late myself, but have
    found myself staying up later than usual too...oops! I'll be changing that too, as I'll be gardening more in the mornings now in warmer weather.

It's actually easy for me to sleep in late, as my dogs don't wake me up...they wait for me to wake THEM up, & I have black-out panels on my bedroom windows because the house behind me has a security light that comes on at all hours when anything (like a dang cat!) walks thru their yard. I miss the house I had in
    the desert, with NO close neighbors...oh well.
    Lol night owl squad! Gardening sounds like a great way to take advantage of the better weather that's on the way while maintaining social distancing.

Wow, you're very lucky with your dogs! I've heard some people say their dogs wake them up early like clockwork every day... weekend or weekday.
    Last edited by Luvyna; 04-09-2020 at 08:23 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-09-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Thank you both for the input! I'm glad that a change of sleep schedule wouldn't do too much harm to my BP although it isn't ideal. He sticks his head out of his hide to wait for food in the middle of the afternoon too now, which he also used to only do at night!

Lol night owl squad! Gardening sounds like a great way to take advantage of the better weather that's on the way while maintaining social distancing.

Wow, you're very lucky with your dogs! I've heard some people say their dogs wake them up early like clockwork every day... weekend or weekday.
    I know, I'm very lucky to have dogs like these. My bro & sil have dogs that wake them at the crack of dawn, or even before, but maybe their dogs learned it from them? I mean, they're early birds too? Anyway, my dogs both came from shelters, as did all previous dogs & I also got lucky with how much they like each other with no quarrels ever, & I got them years apart too. The "god of doggy-matchmaking" was with me for sure...

Back to snakes, I think in the wild they're probably not so set in their ways either when hungry. Maybe that's a good thing you taught your snake? To be flexible!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-09-2020 at 12:00 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (04-14-2020)

Thanks
    By the way, many but not all of my snakes reside in one bedroom, & because I stay up late, I also leave that room dark until later morning, when I open the drapes.

Thanks

I know, I'm very lucky to have dogs like these. My bro & sil have dogs that wake them at the crack of dawn, or even before, but maybe their dogs learned it from them? I mean, they're early birds too? Anyway, my dogs both came from shelters, as did all previous dogs & I also got lucky with how much they like each other with no quarrels ever, & I got them years apart too. The "god of doggy-matchmaking" was with me for sure...

Back to snakes, I think in the wild they're probably not so set in their ways either when hungry. Maybe that's a good thing you taught your snake? To be flexible!
    By the way, many but not all of my snakes reside in one bedroom, & because I stay up late, I also leave that room dark until later morning, when I open the drapes.
    It's great to hear you got lucky with your dogs getting along and being okay with sleeping in! I've heard that dogs reflect their owners so I think that also shows you've done a good job of cultivating a harmonious environment in your home

Lol true about snakes! Seems they can adapt pretty well to different day/night patterns. My BP certainly seems to be eager to eat no matter what time of day. For my BP's last feeding I accidentally fell asleep at around 7pm while his rat was thawing (he usually eats between 7-9pm). Woke up at 1am, remembered the rat, and went to feed it to him—he was fast asleep in his hide and didn't even respond to the vibrations of me going up and down the stairs to the basement to get his food or when I put down his feeding plate in his enclosure (which usually gets him super excited!) I ended up lifting his hide and putting the rat right up to his face and he woke up and went for it right away

On another note, my sleep/wake schedule has really gone haywire since the whole COVID-19 lockdown started. Hope I can get back to some semblance of normalcy soon!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-14-2020)

Thanks

On another note, my sleep/wake schedule has really gone haywire since the whole COVID-19 lockdown started. Hope I can get back to some semblance of normalcy soon!
    It's not just you, & I share your hope for getting back to normal, though I think it's still going to take some time for this pandemic-crisis to get sorted out. Just dropping our guard now will lead to more virus spread & more victims...some health experts are now saying we may need to continue social distancing until 2022 (!) because right now we do not have everyone tested, nor do we have people trained to do contact-tracing to prevent spread...and while some companies are racing to develop a vaccine, few think it will be fully tested & ready for market any time this year -at least. We aren't used to feeling bossed around by "nature" but right now we're getting a very loud reminder. We all know that weather disasters happen- floods, tornadoes & even wildfires, but as bad as they are, they're not as widespread as this global pandemic. It's humbling to be side-lined by a tiny virus we can't even see with the naked eye, isn't it? I try to focus not on what I cannot do, but on what I can...pursing my interests, or even new ones. And I try to remind myself that "it could be worse". For example, I know someone who loves to travel & just bought a new camper...great timing, eh?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-14-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks

It's not just you, & I share your hope for getting back to normal, though I think it's still going to take some time for this pandemic-crisis to get sorted out. Just dropping our guard now will lead to more virus spread & more victims...some health experts are now saying we may need to continue social distancing until 2022 (!) because right now we do not have everyone tested, nor do we have people trained to do contact-tracing to prevent spread...and while some companies are racing to develop a vaccine, few think it will be fully tested & ready for market any time this year -at least. We aren't used to feeling bossed around by "nature" but right now we're getting a very loud reminder. We all know that weather disasters happen- floods, tornadoes & even wildfires, but as bad as they are, they're not as widespread as this global pandemic. It's humbling to be side-lined by a tiny virus we can't even see with the naked eye, isn't it? I try to focus not on what I cannot do, but on what I can...pursing my interests, or even new ones. And I try to remind myself that "it could be worse". For example, I know someone who loves to travel & just bought a new camper...great timing, eh?
    Very true! I certainly hope governments will not rush to reopen countries as I'm sure new cases will crop up once people start moving around again. I've also heard that social distancing may continue for 1-3 years from now and I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Guess we'd better start getting used to the social distancing way of life until things blow over. The world will be a different place by the time this pandemic ends. The thing I'm struggling with the most right now is maintaining a daily routine and setting a schedule for doing work when I'm at home all the time. With all the flexibility it's easy to slide into unhealthy habits!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-17-2020)

Thanks

Very true! I certainly hope governments will not rush to reopen countries as I'm sure new cases will crop up once people start moving around again. I've also heard that social distancing may continue for 1-3 years from now and I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Guess we'd better start getting used to the social distancing way of life until things blow over. The world will be a different place by the time this pandemic ends. The thing I'm struggling with the most right now is maintaining a daily routine and setting a schedule for doing work when I'm at home all the time. With all the flexibility it's easy to slide into unhealthy habits!
    Yup, I know exactly what you mean! I work better with deadlines (limited amounts of time) too.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (04-18-2020)