Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,801

2 members and 2,799 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Corn snake laying one egg every couple of days.

I'm guessing she feels a lot better from getting those out.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    I'm guessing she feels a lot better from getting those out.
    Going to offer food Saturday and see if she will eat. Something small at first. I am sure she is exhausted. She looks a lot skinnier now. LOL. Her scales were separated before.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Going to offer food Saturday and see if she will eat. Something small at first. I am sure she is exhausted. She looks a lot skinnier now. LOL. Her scales were separated before.
    After my Florida rat snakes lay their clutches, they usually soak in their water bowls, sometimes for a couple days like a dead log floating in a pond, with only their noses above water. But then they let me know they're READY (!) for food. Does your corn snake have a bowl of water that's big enough to soak in? She needs re-hydration before food & soaking definitely helps them.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-09-2020 at 03:46 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    After my Florida rat snakes lay their clutches, they usually soak in the water bowls...sometimes for a couple days like a dead log floating in a pond... But then they let me know they're READY (!) for food. (does your corn snake have a bowl of water that's big enough to soak in?)
    Yes but she is not soaking. She is laying on cool side and just chilling in her hide. I checked to see if she was ok last night and she seamed ok. She looks empty so not to worried about her being egg bound. Will wait a couple of days I guess.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-09-2020)

Thanks
    As long as she has the option. You might also mist her & see if she drinks water off her coils...she might just feel too tired to go out for a drink.

Thanks

As long as she has the option. You might also mist her & see if she drinks water off her coils...she might just feel too tired to go out for a drink.
    Will check and see.

Thanks

Update on how the eggs are doing.

So lost 4 of them to small flys getting inside the container somehow. Found maggots. So pissed. I changed the container and cleaned the eggs some but was careful not to turn them. 3 more are still soft and will try to post photos of them. Might be unfertile. This is my first clutch of eggs ever. 1 is almost fully collapsed. I think is not viable. So started with 24 eggs. 2 were clearly duds from the start. 8 more not going to hatch out. So 14 left. Most of them looking great nice and white.

What an education I am getting by doing this. I did have it a little to moist inside the container also. Now is 97% humidity inside the container. Sitting steady at 80-82F. Over a month of waiting to go. My GF is on pins and needles about them. She takes every egg as serous as she would a baby. I think she looks at their temps several times a day to keep watch over them like a mother hen. I think breeding boas are easier than egg layers????? Cant wait to see if we get all albinos or some normal. Both parents are albino.

Wish us luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-14-2020)

Thanks
    Sky, I might be wrong about this but I think the flies are only (or mostly?) attracted to bad eggs to begin with...even if we can't smell them, flies can...it's their "job".

But yes, their maggots will mess up the rest, so this is why I take great pains with clutches of eggs laid to separate them as soon as I get my hands on them...so I can easily toss out the ones that go bad- that way the good eggs are safer.

It takes patience to separate eggs (that's an understatement!): the sooner you do this after they're laid, the easier it is because the eggs are softer & still moist...but it CAN be done even when dry. Always maintain them in the vertical orientation as laid...no turning. (I know you know that) If in a big clump, easier to subdivide them first if you can. Then I take just a drip of water from fingertip (or use an eyedropper) & place it where 2 eggs are stuck together to re-moisten them. You must not get the whole eggs wet or they can drown. Once that contact spot is moist, I gently roll the eggs (one in each hand) slightly towards, then slightly away, back & forth, & you'll see then eggs slowly loosen up, until they come apart. Plant them in the damp vermiculite & keep working on the others. Slow & easy...yes, I've done this with big & well-adhered clutches.

You may see a slightly thinner spot on the eggs where you've separated them, but as long as you don't pull them apart to where they open, they are still fine & can go the distance, & hatch just fine. Too much humidity can drown the eggs...it can condense & drip on them. Anyway, good luck! I hope at least some hatch for you, it's so much FUN to watch snakes hatch out!

BTW, did you candle them? Do you know about that? How to tell the good eggs?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-14-2020 at 12:55 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

christineho (06-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    Some other useful info is they take longer than a month to hatch. I use a day counter app and start checking daily for pips and babies around day 55.

Also genetically if both parents are amels there is no chance of getting normals from the clutch.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

Thanks

Sky, I might be wrong about this but I think the flies are only (or mostly?) attracted to bad eggs to begin with...even if we can't smell them, flies can...it's their "job".

But yes, their maggots will mess up the rest, so this is why I take great pains with clutches of eggs laid to separate them as soon as I get my hands on them...so I can easily toss out the ones that go bad- that way the good eggs are safer.

It takes patience to separate eggs (that's an understatement!): the sooner you do this after they're laid, the easier it is because the eggs are softer & still moist...but it CAN be done even when dry. Always maintain them in the vertical orientation as laid...no turning. (I know you know that) If in a big clump, easier to subdivide them first if you can. Then I take just a drip of water from fingertip (or use an eyedropper) & place it where 2 eggs are stuck together to re-moisten them. You must not get the whole eggs wet or they can drown. Once that contact spot is moist, I gently roll the eggs (one in each hand) slightly towards, then slightly away, back & forth, & you'll see then eggs slowly loosen up, until they come apart. Plant them in the damp vermiculite & keep working on the others. Slow & easy...yes, I've done this with big & well-adhered clutches.

You may see a slightly thinner spot on the eggs where you've separated them, but as long as you don't pull them apart to where they open, they are still fine & can go the distance, & hatch just fine. Too much humidity can drown the eggs...it can condense & drip on them. Anyway, good luck! I hope at least some hatch for you, it's so much FUN to watch snakes hatch out!

BTW, did you candle them? Do you know about that? How to tell the good eggs?
    Thank you for the advice. Only 2 were hard stuck together. The rest are separate. The 2 that are stuck look good. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    Some other useful info is they take longer than a month to hatch. I use a day counter app and start checking daily for pips and babies around day 55.

Also genetically if both parents are amels there is no chance of getting normals from the clutch.
    I know takes longer than a month. I check on them daily. I don't bother them unless I see an issue like I did last night. I think was keeping them to moist and so some did not get hard quick enough. So much learning to do...… Looking forward to some babies. Hoping that 10 or more will make it. Just doing everything I can to keep them alive. Wild ones drop and are left to whatever might come along in south Texas so hoping that I can do a little better than nature.

Any and all advice will be welcomed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast