Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 504

0 members and 504 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Corn snake laying one egg every couple of days.

First time breeding. Pairing was albino X albino. Mom is 9 years old. Her temps are spot on as well as her humidity. This is her first clutch. She is laying them in random spots and I think she is trying to hold on to the eggs. She dropped the first one on Wednesday. Then a second one Friday. She looks like she has a few more in her but is roaming her enclosure. It is like she wants to be somewhere else to lay them? Is she just doing something new to her and has no clue what to do? She is very defensive right now but to be expected. I took her out and searched all her substrate and no new ones as of yet. I am going to leave her alone for a week or so to see if she lays more. If not might make a vet visit. Poor girl looks miserable.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Have you given her an egg-laying box? (think of it like a humid hide...nice damp moss will make an egg-laying corn snake very happy...that, & privacy!) I've never had
    a rat snake laying one egg per day...that's not right at all, & might enhance her chance of being egg-bound, so get to it! (some snakes not given proper nest box will lay
    in the water bowl!)

BTW, when you know a snake is due to lay eggs, you want to furnish the egg-box well in advance, so the snake is familiar with it, for best results. Another thing that would probably work if you have it on hand (instead of a humid hide box) would be a cork bark tunnel filled w/ damp sphagnum moss...many snakes lay their eggs in & under rotting tree logs.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-06-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

67temp (04-06-2020),AbsoluteApril (04-06-2020),dr del (04-06-2020),jmcrook (04-06-2020),Stewart_Reptiles (04-06-2020)

Thanks

Re: Corn snake laying one egg every couple of days.

Thanks for the advice. I will do this today when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Have you given her an egg-laying box? (think of it like a humid hide...nice damp moss will make an egg-laying corn snake very happy...that, & privacy!) I've never had
    a rat snake laying one egg per day...that's not right at all, & might enhance her chance of being egg-bound, so get to it! (some snakes not given proper nest box will lay
    in the water bowl!)

BTW, when you know a snake is due to lay eggs, you want to furnish the egg-box well in advance, so the snake is familiar with it, for best results. Another thing that would probably work if you have it on hand (instead of a humid hide box) would be a cork bark tunnel filled w/ damp sphagnum moss...many snakes lay their eggs in & under rotting tree logs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2020)

Thanks
    Your corn snake will thank you, I promise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    I agree with bogertophis, the lay box is good to have. When mine are about to lay they all go through the same motions following the prelay shed.....shed, rest a week (usually in the lay box), two days of being really active, another day back in the lay box, do a couple hours of active again, then laying. After the prelay shed they get a very small water bowl.

What are the condition of the eggs that have been laid? ie slugs, windows, little star shapes on them, bright white marshmallow looking ones. What has already come out is a good indication of what is left inside and what issues she may be having.

Also when she is done laying get her a small meal like a fuzzy before she goes blue again which is typically 24-48 hrs.

I would keep a close eye on her. You don't want to lose her due to egg binding.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-06-2020),Bogertophis (04-06-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    I agree with bogertophis, the lay box is good to have. When mine are about to lay they all go through the same motions following the prelay shed.....shed, rest a week (usually in the lay box), two days of being really active, another day back in the lay box, do a couple hours of active again, then laying. After the prelay shed they get a very small water bowl.

What are the condition of the eggs that have been laid? ie slugs, windows, little star shapes on them, bright white marshmallow looking ones. What has already come out is a good indication of what is left inside and what issues she may be having.

Also when she is done laying get her a small meal like a fuzzy before she goes blue again which is typically 24-48 hrs.

I would keep a close eye on her. You don't want to lose her due to egg binding.
    They look good but some dimples. Hope the dimples are ok. This is my first time attempting to breed anything.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 04-06-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    The bottom one is hard to tell but looks like it was a good egg. The top one looks like it was good but is now severely dehydrated.

I had one girl this year lay 15 good ones then the last one was a slug and she had trouble getting it out. I gave her 36hrs to do it on her own before I intervened.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    The bottom one is hard to tell but looks like it was a good egg. The top one looks like it was good but is now severely dehydrated.

I had one girl this year lay 15 good ones then the last one was a slug and she had trouble getting it out. I gave her 36hrs to do it on her own before I intervened.
    At what point should I start looking at intervening?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    They look good but some dimples. Hope the dimples are ok. This is my first time attempting to breed anything.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
    They'll probably re-hydrate ok IF planted soon; you don't want them to dry out like that. BTW, when I incubate eggs, I use damp vermiculite, with the eggs planted about 2/3 of the way into the vermiculite, & the container covered with a few pin-holes for air.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-06-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    They'll probably re-hydrate ok IF planted soon; you don't want them to dry out like that. BTW, when I incubate eggs, I use damp vermiculite, with the eggs planted about 2/3 of the way into the vermiculite, & the container covered with a few pin-holes for air.
    They both are in the incubator with vermiculite now. I am hoping they do rehydrate. I am just worried about mama more than anything but having some hatchlings would be wonderful also. Will take any and all advice on both.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2020)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast