Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,013

1 members and 3,012 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python Possible Issue? Need help please

So I have been noticing my snake’s skin has been going white on the top of her rib cage, or I guess back. First it started near her head and now it’s down her back all the way about 9 days later now. She has been eating fine, temps range 95-90 right underneath the hottest part of the tank under the light and at night low 70’s. She has two water bowls on each corner of the tank. Humidity is between 55%-70% at times but mostly between 52-63 Please let me know if there is any issues I need to fix ASAP. Pics of the snake and tank are below.

https://ibb.co/PCwmqz2

https://ibb.co/dWBGBgy

https://ibb.co/WGFGQZV

Last edited by swaggypython510; 04-06-2020 at 12:14 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    What is the warmest temps INSIDE the tank, where the snake can make contact? (that high temp. ideally should not be much above 90*...95* is too hot)
    How are you heating the tank? Is it thermostat-controlled?

And 70* is too low, even if it's just at night. You want the coolest temp. in the tank to be about 78-80*.
    Are there at least 2 suitable hides (one on the cool side & one on the warm side of the tank)?

From what I can see in the photo, that whitened area on your snake's back looks like your snake is rubbing on something rough in the cage...(a close-up of the scales
    would help). Snakes that are restless & wanting out can be caused by various things: too hot (wanting out), hunger (wanting to hunt), or wanting to breed. Snake
    keepers have to play "detective" to find out which of these possibilities may apply in your situation. If I had to guess, I'd say your snake is up on those vines at night
    & her back is rubbing against the screen (-?) top...welded wire tops can be very abrasive & you might need to fix that, if that's the case. I make my own screen tops,
    & for snakes that are inclined to push on their lids, I use 2 layers: the abrasive welded wire (aka "hardware cloth") is the outer layer, while the inner layer is soft nylon
    window screening, so that any rubbing doesn't do damage. If you aren't too handy, making a screen top (wood frame) is very easy & likely any "handyman" could do
    it for you for very little cost, or maybe you could modify your existing top?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-06-2020),Stewart_Reptiles (04-06-2020)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Possible Issue? Need help please

I put one thermostat in cool corner and another one direct under the main heat light (I have the end under). The screen is 4-5 inch above the vines so I don’t think it’s them but I will lower it down. I have had the snake for 5 months before this happend. The thermostat in the dark at night reads those lower temps so under the night light running which is a smaller one is maybe low 80’s high 70’s. I believe that the temperature changes and lowering the vibe will do it. Anyone else have anything to add?

Thanks
    Also would this help?
    Zoomed in photos of her.

https://ibb.co/CMFpNJF

https://ibb.co/R33JzVs

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swaggypython510 View Post
    I put one thermostat in cool corner and another one direct under the main heat light (I have the end under). The screen is 4-5 inch above the vines so I don’t think it’s them but I will lower it down. I have had the snake for 5 months before this happend. The thermostat in the dark at night reads those lower temps so under the night light running which is a smaller one is maybe low 80’s high 70’s. I believe that the temperature changes and lowering the vibe will do it. Anyone else have anything to add?
    I believe you're confusing thermoMETER with thermoSTAT. A thermoMETER only reads the temp while a thermoSTAT regulates the amount of heat the equipment produces. I don't see any thermoSTATS in the picture.

Unfortunately, those stick-on analog thermometers (the dial ones) are incredibly inaccurate as well, so don't rely on those, they can be off by as much as 15°.

Also, I see an incense burner by the enclosure. I hope you're not burning incense there. That smoke is incredibly bad for a snake.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-06-2020),Bogertophis (04-06-2020),GoingPostal (04-06-2020),hilabeans (04-06-2020),vivi (04-06-2020)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Get some digital thermometers like accurite brand sells with probes for the cage to get a quick idea of what temps are and a temp gun to accurately judge them all over the setup. Those sticky ones are straight trash for accuracy and dangerous if your snake gets stuck to them. A thermostat is needed on every heat source to control the output and keep your temperature steady. Cage should be high 77-80 ambient temp all throughout and 88-90 degree hotspot for digestion. That heat lamp and aspen bedding make me think your humidity levels are probably far too low as well.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-06-2020),vivi (04-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    When I saw the pics I thought there is no way humidity levels are maintained well in that setup... glass tank, screen top, heat lamps, aspen, plus she looks a little crispy but it could just be an optical illusion from her skin condition. I do see condensation near the top so maybe you live in a naturally humid environment? But chances are your unreliable gauges are not telling a true story.

Moral of the story:
    Thermostats!
    Better temp & humidity gauges
    Husbandry tweaks to substrate and environment
    No smoke of any kind near your snake

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-06-2020),vivi (04-06-2020)

Thanks

I don’t burn incense it’s used to push stuff around in the tank when I can find her.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swaggypython510 View Post
    I don’t burn incense it’s used to push stuff around in the tank when I can find her.
    Ok, just making sure. I mean, you could use your hands, or a snake hook if you're afraid of being tagged. In the pic it's covered in incense ash and filthy.

What about the THERMOSTAT situation????
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 04-06-2020 at 03:53 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-06-2020)

Thanks

What’s a better way to control the humidity? I ordered everything else recommended on chewy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast