Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,313

0 members and 2,313 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New BP and tub temps.

A few weeks ago I was offered a bp by my husbands coworker. They are moving on April 25th and need it gone by then. I sat down and did research on owning, and caring for ball pythons. I read articles, watched videos and joined Facebook groups (which turned out to be a mistake). As I educated myself I found that the snake I was being offered was in a :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: hole of an environment. Living in a tank with another bp, 1 hide, a water bowl, screen top, a dome with a regular ass light bulb for heat. I knew I had to get him quicker than originally planned. I put a tub together and spent a couple of days working on the humidity and temps, Trying to stabilize everything before I put him in. I managed to get the humidity to stay between 53-57% but there’s issues with maintaining temps. I picked him up last night even though my temps are 100% where they should be, but anything his better than where he has been kept. I have a 60qt flat tub, that I have lined the outside with the aluminum tape to darken the tub. A 16w uth on a VE-100 thermostat. 2 digital acurite humidity and temp monitors, placed on both ends of the tub. Cool side reads 55% humidity and 77f temp. Hot side reads 53% humidity and 78f temp. The ambient temp in my room is 69-71f. This morning I added a small space heater around the tub, and it was bringing the hot side temps to 88f before I kicked it off. I threw a blanket over some of the warm side to see if it helped maintain temps. It didn’t, shortly afterwards it was falling back into the high 70’s. Will insulating the outside of the tub help maintain proper ambient temps? Like using great foam and thin insulation board. I’m struggling on how to do this without heating my whole living room or running a heater 24/7. Can a small heater be put on a timer/thermostat? I feel kinda :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r:ty for picking him up before I sorted all the issues, but he’s better here, even with my current temp issues. Thanks y’all.

Thanks
    It sounds like you don´t have a very reliable thermostat. Your temps are all over the place.

Thanks

Re: New BP and tub temps.

I have a VE-100 thermostat that is hooked to a UTH. I was under the impression that UTH did not affect ambient temps. My improper temps is what I’m seeking advice on. They aren’t all over the place. They are in the high 70 with out a space heater. With a space heater once I get the temps good I can’t maintain them properly. The thermostat on the uth should have anything to do with maintaining ambient temps.
    Last edited by Punkgirl; 04-04-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks
    Where is the thermostat probe located? And how much of the tub does the uth cover?
    Last edited by vivi; 04-04-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks

Between the heat mat and tub. How does the heat mat and thermostat affect the ambient temp issue I am having? It covers roughly a 1/3rd if it. Everything I’ve heard says a uth does not help ambient temps.
    Last edited by Punkgirl; 04-04-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks
    Because your cool side temps are fine. Your hot spot is not, and the uth provides the heat for the hot spot.

BPs thermoregulate, they pick what temp they like and the ambient temp (the temp IN BETWEEN or room temperature, just like if you were to sit on a heater or in front of a fan vs. just the room temperature if that makes sense.) is determined by the difference in temps from the hot spot and cool side.
    Last edited by vivi; 04-04-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks

My hotspot belly temps are fine. It is the ambient temperature inside the tub as a whole that is low on the hot side of the tub. I am new to this but I do understand there is a difference in belly heat and ambient temps inside the enclosure. Do you have a recommendation on how I can insulate the tub and maintain AMBIENT temps inside the tub?

Thanks
    What is your hot spot at?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Punkgirl View Post
    Hot side reads 53% humidity and 78f temp.
    There´s your problem. Your UTH is not set hot enough. It needs to be at 90-92f. Your hotspot is not ¨fine.¨

I must also note you SHOULD HAVE WAITED before getting this ball python because all you are doing is creating more stress for it. Always have your husbandry dialed in before getting a reptile. But your BP cannot thermoregulate since there is only a ONE DEGREE DIFFERENCE between the hotspot and cold side. Being able to thermoregulate is a NECESSITY.

I also would not recommend a 60qt tub as a permanent enclosure.
    Last edited by vivi; 04-04-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

OP, 77-78° are the ambient of cool and warm sides respectively? What does the bottom of the tub read directly over the hot spot?

Vivi, you’re offering a lot of advice/info as someone that does not and has not ever owned a snake. Curious how you’re qualifying or substantiating any of the claims you’re making. I speak as someone who has kept snakes for 25yrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-04-2020),vivi (04-04-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast