Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

1 members and 3,271 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lil meanie

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Lil meanie

Congratulations on your new BP. I think he just needs a little more time to settle in. He's eating well so that's a good sign. How are you measuring your temps? Two UTHs and an overhead heat bulb seems like a lot. I'd suggest investing in a temp gun to make sure you're getting the most accurate temperature readings. As far as the defensive striking I'd advise using a snake hook before removing the snake from it's enclosure. It's just a gentle reminder that there's no food coming and let's the snake know it's handling or cage maintenance time. You can also use a gloved hand to take the snake out and then take off the glove when the snake calms down. And even if he does tag you it won't hurt and the snake will eventually see that biting does no good. Hopefully in time you'll both gain more trust in each other and the defensive biting will stop.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 04-03-2020 at 03:43 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (04-05-2020)

Thanks

Thank you for your ideas! I am going to increase holding time as well. The cloth trick sounds fantastic because it's really hard to get him out of the aggressive attitude and able to get him out.

Thanks

I understand you were just trying to help, however, you said yourself that you didn't even try to read it. Please don't make nasty comments such as punctuation exists for a reason. I am well aware of punctuation, as I majored in English. If you had read the post at all, you would have seen that there was plenty of "punctuation", and that it was used correctly. I will heed your advice for future posts and try not no put so much info in one posting. Before giving advice on grammar though, you may want to at least read what you decide to critique. Your response only made you look unintelligent and brash to myself and others here. I will adjust future posts and make them more easily understood. When I posted the first time, I had a couple of people tell me that I didn't give near enough information and there were tons of questions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerimac For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kerimac View Post
    Thank you for your ideas! I am going to increase holding time as well. The cloth trick sounds fantastic because it's really hard to get him out of the aggressive attitude and able to get him out.
    Years ago I took in an unwanted yearling boa that bit everyone repeatedly, was re-homed multiple times before I took her in. I never got one bite from her in all the years she was mine...at first she wanted to bite, but got no chance & by the time I let her peek out from the towel (after about a month or so) she no longer tried to bite.

Trust...you have to earn their trust. We want to be able to trust our pets not to bite, but it's a 2-way street...we have to build & earn their trust also. They fear us visually, so when you cover them, they focus on your scent & touch, none of which hurts them or turns out to be scary...in fact, a soft warm lap is pretty nice. Then all you have to do is gradually let them adjust to seeing you.

And when you hold a snake, remember to keep them close to your body because they feel sheltered that way. Snakes instinctively are afraid when out in the open, since that's when predators pick THEM off. So be their "cave"...they just want to feel safe.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-03-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

You guys are great! I appreciate everyone's reply and willingness to help. To answer a couple of questions, I am using a temp gun and I have the uth side by side covering about 1/3 of the floor area (I have them stuck to the bottom with the tank on half inch risers for air flow). I do not have a humidity box but I can surely make one. I would have to move his water dish to the middle for it to fit. I will post a pic of his set up as it is right now if I can figure out how to attach one. Lol. Thank you again, everyone. 😁

Thanks

Love the post about trust. I am huge on establishing trust and very in tune to energy. I know how to share my calmness most of the time but this is a very new experience. I am definitely going to give this a try. I also love the quote. 🙏💕

Thanks

More people reading will get more replies. That's all I'm saying.

I know a lot of people just skip over threads like this, so I'm trying to help.

Grammar and punctuation exist for a reason.

I understand that, but I also noticed OP was very quiet after your post. I didn't want someone who came for advice to be afraid to ask for help. Not providing any help simply because she didn't separate her post into paragraphs is silly.

We are all stressed at this time. Let's just try to be nice and help each other.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turningstar For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-03-2020),JChild (04-10-2020),Kerimac (04-03-2020)

Thanks

^^^ Sorry my copy and paste didn't work correctly!

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Turningstar For This Useful Post:

Kerimac (04-03-2020)

Thanks

Any tips on sharing a pic? 😂

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    One more thing: once your snake learns to recognize you by your touch & scent, don't rush them when you pick them up...give them time to "remember they know you"-that way you aren't stressing them so much.

I had to do that with that boa...once in a while, her thoughts were "elsewhere" & she'd let out a huge hiss to say "I want to be left alone"; I slowly stroked her coils (not "in her face") until she got quiet, just a few minutes at most, then I could pick her up as if nothing ever happened. They are snakes first, who knows what their thoughts are? -but empathy is the cure.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-03-2020 at 04:37 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast