Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,486

1 members and 2,485 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lil meanie

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Lil meanie

Quote Originally Posted by Kerimac View Post
    I understand you were just trying to help, however, you said yourself that you didn't even try to read it. Please don't make nasty comments such as punctuation exists for a reason. I am well aware of punctuation, as I majored in English. If you had read the post at all, you would have seen that there was plenty of "punctuation", and that it was used correctly. I will heed your advice for future posts and try not no put so much info in one posting. Before giving advice on grammar though, you may want to at least read what you decide to critique. Your response only made you look unintelligent and brash to myself and others here. I will adjust future posts and make them more easily understood. When I posted the first time, I had a couple of people tell me that I didn't give near enough information and there were tons of questions.
    The "punctuation exists for a reason" was actually a reply to a different person. And I'd hardly call it nasty.

I'm sorry you, and apparently you speak for how others feel, found my comment unintelligent and brash.

I'll stick to helping other people who aren't so sensitive.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Any tips on sharing a pic? 😂
    This is a "sticky"
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Kerimac (04-03-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Turningstar View Post
    More people reading will get more replies. That's all I'm saying.

I know a lot of people just skip over threads like this, so I'm trying to help.

Grammar and punctuation exist for a reason.

I understand that, but I also noticed OP was very quiet after your post. I didn't want someone who came for advice to be afraid to ask for help. Not providing any help simply because she didn't separate her post into paragraphs is silly.

We are all stressed at this time. Let's just try to be nice and help each other.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk
    I literally WAS trying to help. Nothing I said was not nice.

Thanks

Here is his enclosure. I have since moved his smaller hide to the hot side and his medium one to the cool side. Should I move the water dish to the middle and add a plastic humidity box?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Deep Purple Passion BP

Thanks
    For future reference, it's best if hides are the same size, & just big enough for the snake to fit fairly snug...that makes them feel safer. You'll see the term "back pressure" also...same idea, so nothing can sneak up on them. Since your hides differ, you can make them closer in size by wadding up some paper & adding to the larger one, then remove the paper when your snake grows larger. (Even when snakes out-grow their hides, some of them are quite comical, squishing into the hide so it's carried on their backs like a turtle's shell. )

Since your snake is trying his best to settle in, it's actually best if you minimize the number of times you move his furniture around. If you have a good reason, fine...other-wise, it will keep for now. A humid hide is a great option, most snakes appear to love & use them to facilitate shedding, & moving the water bowl isn't a big deal either.

An added (humid-) hide will help clutter up the cage too...the empty space in front is attractive to look at for us humans, but does nothing for the snake's sense of security.Focus on his comfort primarily if you move or add things...it won't add to his "self confidence" right now (snakes learn their way around in the wild, that's why it freaks them out when re-homed). Later on, when he's settled in, it's no problem...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-03-2020 at 07:01 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-03-2020)

Thanks

Gotcha. Thank you. I think I will add a humidity box. I do wad up damp sphagnum moss to put in his hides. He goes in and shuts his door off with it. Lol. I was able to get him out and calmed down today for a long time! Getting him out has been the problem so I am going to definitely try covering him tomorrow with a cloth to get him out, as I don't have a snake hook.
    Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerimac For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2020)

Thanks

Gotcha. Thank you. I think I will add a humidity box. I do wad up damp sphagnum moss to put in his hides. He goes in and shuts his door off with it. Lol. I was able to get him out and calmed down today for a long time! Getting him out has been the problem so I am going to definitely try covering him tomorrow with a cloth to get him out, as I don't have a snake hook.
    You can make a snake hook too, you know. But if you go that route, remember to keep your hands calm & fairly flat underneath him...as the old saying goes, "snakes don't bite the ground they crawl on" (ie. so BE the "ground" ). Whichever way you feel most comfortable...he'll learn & get much better too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-04-2020 at 12:06 AM.

Thanks

Lil meanie coming around

Thank you for all the replies! I have been getting him out every day. He is still defensive but once I am able to get him out, he settles down after about 5 or 10 mins and is ready to explore. I keep him close to me and keep him out for quite a while in order to build trust. I'm hoping his anxiety of being removed from his enclosure eases up a bit after a while. From what I've read about how often they shed, it seems like he should be shedding at any time but I haven't seen hazy eyes or pink belly yet. Thank you again for all the helpful tips!
    Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerimac For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-05-2020)

Thanks

Re: Lil meanie coming around

Thank you for all the replies! I have been getting him out every day. He is still defensive but once I am able to get him out, he settles down after about 5 or 10 mins and is ready to explore. I keep him close to me and keep him out for quite a while in order to build trust. I'm hoping his anxiety of being removed from his enclosure eases up a bit after a while. From what I've read about how often they shed, it seems like he should be shedding at any time but I haven't seen hazy eyes or pink belly yet. Thank you again for all the helpful tips!
    Is he eating for you? It's very important to hold off on handling until AFTER he's eaten about 3 times for you at regular intervals...it's a good way to judge that he's really settled in & is ready to move forward. I'm just concerned that you're rushing this (handling)...it's something that nearly everyone struggles against, but for someone who is new to snake keeping or having any difficulty, it's really essential. There is nothing worse than having a snake that keeps refusing to eat, & handling can do that, even when your snake seems to be calming down. Fair warning...snakes are stoic.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-05-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks

Yes. He hasn't missed a meal. He has stayed right on track. Every 7 days, like clockwork. He has eaten 4 times now. He will have his 5th meal here on Tuesday. 💕👍
    Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kerimac For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-05-2020),dr del (04-05-2020)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast