Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,958

1 members and 2,957 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Some Questions..

You said you have a thermometer, but are your heat sources run by a thermostat??

Sorry if you already answered and I didnt see it.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Turningstar For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-03-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Also, keep in mind that the cooler your room (or house) is where the snake is located, the harder it will be to adequately warm the snake's enclosure. To help that,
    you may be able to "insulate" the sides, back & bottom of the container he's living in. Easier to do if it's a glass tank, or a professional plastic one...do tell?

For posting pics: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures
    its a glass tank so I just put a towel over it to keep it warm since I turn on my ac and his tank is in my room, I check the temperature every few hours and it's all good.
    I'll post pictures after a while.

thanks you were very helpful!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turningstar View Post
    You said you have a thermometer, but are your heat sources run by a thermostat??

Sorry if you already answered and I didnt see it.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk
    no not by a thermostat I searched every store but to no avail. I ordered one through amazon so no worries!

and it's fine, your very polite!

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/ovhptcY

I don't I think I got the hang of posting pictures? anyways here's what it looks like.. not the best angle and I know it seems half-assed but I promise it looks better in person.

Thanks
    Try to stand back and post an overall picture of the tank from the front or from a further distance. How old/what size in the snake and what size is the enclosure? As others have already said you need a way to keep one side of the tank at 78-80 degrees and keep the other side at 88-90 degrees. Every heat source you have needs to have a thermostat on it. Make sure you understand the difference between a thermostat and thermometer. The ones you have hanging on each side of your tank are thermometers, they just give you an idea of what the temps are. Many of them are not real accurate. The thermostat is the important part of the setup because they keep you from cooking the snake. The easiest thing I found for my 20 gallon glass set up is 2 under the tank heaters and two thermostats. One side is set at 79 degrees and the other is set at 89 degrees. Once you get a thermostat you should trust them readout on them, that is why you need an IR temp gun. For example. The thermostat on my hot side has to stay set at and shows the temp at 94 degrees yet the glass surface is 89 degrees. The one on my cool side is set at and shows 79 degrees and the glass surface temp is exactly 79 degrees. Depending on what the ambient temps are in the room the snake is in you might need an additional heat source as well. The room mine is in requires a small CHE in the winter but nothing other than the UTH heat in the summer.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2020),Hunkysteph (04-04-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    Try to stand back and post an overall picture of the tank from the front or from a further distance. How old/what size in the snake and what size is the enclosure? As others have already said you need a way to keep one side of the tank at 78-80 degrees and keep the other side at 88-90 degrees. Every heat source you have needs to have a thermostat on it. Make sure you understand the difference between a thermostat and thermometer. The ones you have hanging on each side of your tank are thermometers, they just give you an idea of what the temps are. Many of them are not real accurate. The thermostat is the important part of the setup because they keep you from cooking the snake. The easiest thing I found for my 20 gallon glass set up is 2 under the tank heaters and two thermostats. One side is set at 79 degrees and the other is set at 89 degrees. Once you get a thermostat you should trust them readout on them, that is why you need an IR temp gun. For example. The thermostat on my hot side has to stay set at and shows the temp at 94 degrees yet the glass surface is 89 degrees. The one on my cool side is set at and shows 79 degrees and the glass surface temp is exactly 79 degrees. Depending on what the ambient temps are in the room the snake is in you might need an additional heat source as well. The room mine is in requires a small CHE in the winter but nothing other than the UTH heat in the summer.
    yes I know they are not exactly very accurate I put it against the heat mat above the glass to get an idea about the heat since if I put it against the glass it shows the degree against the glass and not the area surrounding it, but again thank you that was extremely helpful!
    I ordered a temp gun from amazon so it should get here soon, and my snake is 5 months old, the enclosure is bigger than him by a few inches but I will check his exact size in a while as well as post more pictures of the enclosure.
    he has a heat lamp that I turn on in the mornings and close at night.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunkysteph View Post
    yes I know they are not exactly very accurate I put it against the heat mat above the glass to get an idea about the heat since if I put it against the glass it shows the degree against the glass and not the area surrounding it, but again thank you that was extremely helpful!
    I ordered a temp gun from amazon so it should get here soon, and my snake is 5 months old, the enclosure is bigger than him by a few inches but I will check his exact size in a while as well as post more pictures of the enclosure.
    he has a heat lamp that I turn on in the mornings and close at night.
    I'm not exactly sure what you are describing here. How it should be set up is the heat mat should be on the outside of the tank on the floor of the tank. The probe for your thermostat should be sandwiched between the heat mat and the bottom of the tank, both are outside the tank not inside. Then you want to use your heat gun to get the inside surface of the glass to the desired temps. Then you can put your substrate on top of that. That way if your snake feels it needs to be a little warmer it will burrow down to the glass. For example if you turn the heat up enough that the top of the substrate is 90 degrees then the glass surface will be too hot.

Thanks
    The probe should be between the heat mat and glass. Putting the probe under the substrate is pointless, and can also give incorrect readings which leads to heat spikes which leads to burns and other issues. Also, speaking of substrate, what IS your substrate?... it looks like gravel or something...
    Sorry if this was already mentioned.
    vivi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunkysteph View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/ovhptcY

I don't I think I got the hang of posting pictures? anyways here's what it looks like.. not the best angle and I know it seems half-assed but I promise it looks better in person.

What type of substrate are you using in the tank?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you are describing here. How it should be set up is the heat mat should be on the outside of the tank on the floor of the tank. The probe for your thermostat should be sandwiched between the heat mat and the bottom of the tank, both are outside the tank not inside.
    you can still have your probe on the inside of the enclosure(which is what I do). That way you get a reading of what temperature your snake is getting. At the same time just set your controller a degree or two higher because it has to warm up past the glass and substrate. Just make sure you use the thermometer to read inside and you’re fine. Outing the probe between the heat mat and glass, or on the inside of the enclosure really doesn’t matter, because at the end of the day you can change the set temperature on the controller to get the desired temperature within the enclosure.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast