Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,010

2 members and 3,008 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Some Questions..

Hello! I'm new here at and this is my first ever thread! I have a a few questions.. Three days ago I bought a beautiful ball python and still don't know BP body language so I need help, my ball python seems to be pretty active around 6 AM and bumps into the glass enclosure a lot, and I read that its (probably) a sign of stress and I'm worried, He also began hissing at me even though the first two days he didn't? but he still didn't get used to me so I get why. also I bought a 14W heating Matt, is it too hot? I searched online and never found an answer.. can anyone give me tips how to bond with him faster and how to handle him in a way he likes? (ik snakes DON'T like being handled but I read that some owners said that their snakes like to be stroked/handled a certain way.. so yeah that's that)

With that said, I'd like to be friends with you all and thanks for Taking your time to read!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    You need to both measure and control the temperature of any & all heating devices.

He might be over-heated & that's why he's restless & wants out...excess heat can injure (burn) or even kill a snake, so PLEASE take the temperatures IMMEDIATELY &
    adjust them so that the 'cool' end of the tank is about 80* & the warm end is not over 90*. This is IMPORTANT & readings must be accurate.

No way to tell you if 14W heat matt is enough or too much...depends on size of tank. There's also more than just heat to setting up a snake enclosure. Doe he have 2
    hides, one on the cool side, & one on the warm? (that's another essential, & that they are the right size & type) Humidity is another thing you need to pay attention to.

You've only had him for 3 days, so you should be letting him settle in, & NO handling until after he's eaten preferably 3 times at normal intervals, & only then begin to
    think about handling him. Right now he's afraid, & it's more important to allow him to feel safe enough to eat; a snake that is too stressed will not eat or do well for you,
    & like most creatures, stress lowers their immune system too, so they're more at risk of illness. Many new snakes will not eat right away...they may need a week or 2 to
    calm down enough to feel safe enough to eat. Be patient!

Tell us more about your set-up...pics help too, also age of snake, etc, so we can better help you sort this out.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-03-2020),EL-Ziggy (04-03-2020),GoingPostal (04-03-2020),Hunkysteph (04-03-2020),vivi (04-03-2020)

Thanks

Re: Some Questions..

Hi there! yes he has two hides in his enclosure and I spray water two times a day to keep the humidity right, though I have no idea how to send pictures in here. the enclosure is quite big so he can stretch properly and so he can have room to check out and explore his new home. I have a log of wood he likes to chill in, a water bowl and I put fake plants ontop of his hides, he is around 4-5 months old.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hunkysteph View Post
    Hi there! yes he has two hides in his enclosure and I spray water two times a day to keep the humidity right, though I have no idea how to send pictures in here. the enclosure is quite big so he can stretch properly and so he can have room to check out and explore his new home. I have a log of wood he likes to chill in, a water bowl and I put fake plants ontop of his hides, he is around 4-5 months old.
    What are your temperatures?
    How are you measuring temps?

**VERY IMPORTANT** ARE YOUR HEAT SOURCES REGULATED BY A THERMOSTAT???

Also, the large enclosure may be an issue, what exactly is "quite large"?

Let's get the basics down before we get into handling. You don't want to be handling the snake until he's eating consistently (at LEAST three weeks from now).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-03-2020)

Thanks

PLEASE make sure your heating devices are run by a thermostat. Your heat pad could easily get to 120° and cook your snake. Buy a point and shoot thermometer ( $10) and keep track of your temps. Hot spot 88, cool side about 78, ambient 80.

Do you have anything keeping your ambient temp up?

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turningstar For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-03-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-03-2020),Jakob_Ansel (04-04-2020),vivi (04-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Also, keep in mind that the cooler your room (or house) is where the snake is located, the harder it will be to adequately warm the snake's enclosure. To help that,
    you may be able to "insulate" the sides, back & bottom of the container he's living in. Easier to do if it's a glass tank, or a professional plastic one...do tell?

For posting pics: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-03-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Smile Re: Some Questions..

I would say to maybe put the foliage on the ground as well. It offers some coverage for your bp while they slither around, and adds stimulus for them. Just make sure that you have enough ground space to offer them to stretch out (ideally). As well, the ideal tank size is between one where the length of the tank is the same length as your bp, or your bp length is the total of the length and width of your enclosure. Ive read many different sources on proper tank size and what is right but I think this range would be a good way to distinguish the right size. However if you find yours is larger than that id definitely add some more clutter to make it feel smaller internally rather than having to buy a new tank, or close off a portion of it.

And as mentioned above temperature is very important. Be sure to use some type of temperature controller and a way to gauge the temperature inside the tank. I use a temperature controller for my heat mat. Note that most controllers have an influx of 2 degrees up and down the desired temperature. Make sure your heat mat doesn’t exceed past 33.3 Celsius when you read it inside the enclosure(I know a lot of people will say 32.2 but I’ve been reading a lot on it and I believe that 33.3 is also safe just don’t exceed that temperature(I also live in a colder area and need that to keep the ambient and cool side up)). I personally use a temperature gun to check and it’s absolutely fantastic. You can check the temperature absolutely anywhere in the enclosure and gets you a more accurate reading of what temperature your ball python would be feeling. Make sure to use it inside the enclosure, on top of your substrate so that you know what temperature your ball python is getting.

I got my bp 2 weeks ago and she was definitely a little defensive within the first few days. At this point she doesn’t seem to mind me very much anymore when I’m doing regular checks, changing water and stuff, so it just takes some time. I’ve also found covering the enclosure with a towel helps a lot. Definitely get her on a set feeding schedule before handling. Ive handled my ball python within these two weeks. I’ve found she ate one meal, but hasn’t eaten one since. So I’m definitely avoiding handling for a week and attempting to feed her again until she’s being consistent.

But on another note congratulations, and I hope what everyone has mentioned or said helps. Looking for advice is a great sign of a caring owner, and a great way to get some real insight. ����
    Last edited by Faith.luu; 04-03-2020 at 01:33 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Faith.luu For This Useful Post:

Hunkysteph (04-03-2020)

Thanks

Talking Re: Some Questions..

I searched online and never found an answer.. can anyone give me tips how to bond with him faster and how to handle him in a way he likes? (ik snakes DON'T like being handled but I read that some owners said that their snakes like to be stroked/handled a certain way.. so yeah that's that)

With that said, I'd like to be friends with you all and thanks for Taking your time to read!
    There are a lot of opinions about this and I’m just going to give mine because it worked for me, however this case might not for you. I would put her inside of a dark pillowcase and just get her used to handling and being stroked(do this for about 20-30 minutes after you feel your bp relaxing). Did this for a few times within 2 weeks. About the 5th time I did this I actually handled her and found she wouldn’t contract her muscles or push herself away for me when I would stroke or pet her. So I think using this pillowcase method works fantastic. Keeps us both calm; no bites, and less stress. What I’m also planning on doing in the future is to designate one day to handle her for about 2 hours and then just leave her alone until her next meal. I’ve read on many sources that say handling your bp one tome for a really long time can help them become tame really fast. I’ve yet to try it but I think this method would really work.

However, I’ve also read that once they are consistently eating at each meal time, then you can handle your bp at most 2 times a week and only 15 minute sessions. And slowly increase the time as the weeks go by but don’t exceed 30 min. If this works then definitely go for it. This method gives your bp a lot of time to adjust and reduces the amount of stress.

definitely avoid handling 24-72 hours after a meal(check to see when bump is minimized, or completely gone, then you know you’re safe to handle without regurgitation) and also avoid handling the day of feeding as well. Also when they are going to shed(typically when eye caps are blue and skin pigment becomes dull).

But I hope these methods listed above can help with taming and bonding with your snake. I know there are going to be alternative opinions, and I definitely am not opposing to those. This is just my opinion, and the research I’ve found on it.

Thanks

I use a thermometer that sticks on inside the enclosure and its pretty accurate, I put one on the cold side and one on the hot side, all is well don't worry :)!

Thanks

thanks that was very helpful! will do that, also you sound like you've had years of experience, suprising that you've had your ball python for a few weeks.
    hope you get along with it well <3
    Last edited by Hunkysteph; 04-03-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast