Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,802

1 members and 2,801 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

COVID 19 and rodent feeders

I read the other thread about the unlikelihood of cold blooded animals like the snakes themselves getting or carrying Covid 19 from being exposed to infected humans. I also read the CDC saying not to be concerned about pets getting it.

However, my question is either regards to feeder rodents. Mice and rats have warm blooded body temperature, and I am not sure if they are categorized/included as "pets" by the CDC. Are feeder rodents a concern with regards to Covid 19?

If rodents can be infected, then can they then in turn infect humans if they EAT a rodent carrying it?

My main concern is, within my whole collection of snakes, there is one BP that only eats live mice. My only choice is to go pick up a live mouse once a week from the snake shop, whereas all the others eat frozen. I haven't done this for a few weeks and have tried to get him to switch to frozen but to no avail. If he doesn't eat frozen I am going to have to get him live again at the store (yes they are open in my country).

Consequently, may as well.ask of frozen rodents can also carry it?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    From my understanding other animals like cats, dogs, rodents, etc. can't get the disease, they could potentially carry it to another person if say, someone who was infected sneezed on it. Even then it would be a longshot. You're more likely to pick up the disease personally from another infected person in the shop.

This disease isn't one that reptiles can get at all.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Don't eat it raw an you'll be fine. Wash before an after handling the rodents an you'll be fine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: COVID 19 and rodent feeders

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Don't eat it raw an you'll be fine. Wash before an after handling the rodents an you'll be fine.
    BTW, I concur with bcr229's post: as far as I know, our pets are NOT vectors of COVID-19- the only issue would be the potential but
    unlikely transfer of coronavirus on their fur, so don't kiss them or lick their fur either, lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-01-2020 at 06:41 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)