Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,203

3 members and 3,200 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Homemade Hide

Thanks

Homemade Hide

I just wanted to share this with y’all. I was wanting to change the tank around for my 9 month old normal. I like switching things up for him every now and again. Today I took a 2 liter soda bottle, cut the neck out of it and cut a larger whole in the side. I put a cardboard tube in the neck and taped it up really good and left about 6” sticking out. After making sure there was no sharp edges I filled it sphagum moss and buried it in one corner of his tank. I checked on him tonight and he’s inside the bottle with his head in the tube lol. I’m gonna try to share a picture if I can it’s just at a difficult angle to see inside. It might not be something amazing for my to look at. I mean it just a big hump in the substrate with a hole leading to it lol but he seems to be liking it. Just thought I would share this , thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Tape should never ever be used inside of a reptile enclosure. It ends up sticking to your snake after a while, with disastrous results.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...LL-caresheets!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

cletus (04-01-2020),jmcrook (04-01-2020),vivi (04-01-2020)

Thanks

Re: Homemade Hide

It’s nowhere that he can get to it. I have it wrapped and covered to make it virtually impossible for him to get to it. Thanks for the advice and concern.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damien79 View Post
    It’s nowhere that he can get to it. I have it wrapped and covered to make it virtually impossible for him to get to it. Thanks for the advice and concern.
    FYI, that was good advice from bcr229- Humidity causes tape to loosen, then it can stick to the snake, & then when they get over or under their heat source, it becomes
    "hot-glued" to their scales. Don't say you weren't warned...this happened w/ one of my snakes many years ago, & obviously to others as well. Seemed impossible, but trust me, it's not.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-01-2020 at 12:48 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

cletus (04-01-2020),MissterDog (04-02-2020),vivi (04-01-2020)

Thanks
    The tape will inevitably fall off. Do your snake a favor and remove it BEFORE anything bad happens.
    Cool idea, though. Homemade hides can be awesome as long as you do them right.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (04-02-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Just to agree with the previous posters - tape ALWAYS comes loose in the environmental conditions inside a snake endclosure. And it always ends up stuck to the snake.

You can look at this 2 ways;

I had what I think is a good idea and people who have KEPT THEM FOR 20 YEARS PLUS are poo-pooing your innovation.

Or,

I had what I thought was a good idea and people with 20 years plus tried to help me avoid problems based on their experience.

Totally your call on what to do about it - and we will even help you when the manure hits the air circulation device.

But do a search for all the help threads first.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-01-2020),MissterDog (04-02-2020),vivi (04-01-2020)

Thanks

I never said anything negative about the advice. I was even thankful for it. I dont mind being corrected when I’m wrong especially if it’s helping with the welfare of my snake. Ive always been reall appreciative about the advice I get. Not sure where all this came from. I made the post and went to work and came back and things went in a totally different direction.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Damien79 View Post
    I never said anything negative about the advice. I was even thankful for it. I dont mind being corrected when I’m wrong especially if it’s helping with the welfare of my snake. Ive always been reall appreciative about the advice I get. Not sure where all this came from. I made the post and went to work and came back and things went in a totally different direction.
    So you took the advice and removed the tape?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-01-2020),jmcrook (04-01-2020),MissterDog (04-02-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Whoa,

And this is why I should learn to step away from the keyboard when I am feeling grumpy or stressed.

I'm sorry for any disrespect this showed.

Del

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Just to agree with the previous posters - tape ALWAYS comes loose in the environmental conditions inside a snake endclosure. And it always ends up stuck to the snake.

You can look at this 2 ways;

I had what I think is a good idea and people who have KEPT THEM FOR 20 YEARS PLUS are poo-pooing your innovation.

Or,

I had what I thought was a good idea and people with 20 years plus tried to help me avoid problems based on their experience.

Totally your call on what to do about it - and we will even help you when the manure hits the air circulation device.

But do a search for all the help threads first.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.