Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,299

5 members and 3,294 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Heat mat question

Hi just a query
    would it be ok to put a heat Mat on the wall of a tank (with a thermostat)for a Bp if the mat never got above 90 at its hottest point.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Heat mat question

The heat mat/hot spot is to aid digestion. Considering the food is in the snakes belly: Heating the side of a thick-bodied snake is not an efficient method.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 03-31-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    The heat mat/hot spot is to aid digestion. Considering the food is in the snakes belly: Heating the side of a thick-bodied snake is not an efficient method.
    Her tank has a hot hide juts struggling getting ambient temp up as bulbs have gone and carnt get out at the Moment with what’s going on and am worried about temps getting to low

Thanks

Heat mats are terrible at adjusting ambient temp. Check the wattage output: Even a huge 30 watt heat mat is around 1/5 the output of a 150 watt ceramic heat emitter.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 03-31-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Her tank has a hot hide juts struggling getting ambient temp up as bulbs have gone and carnt get out at the Moment with what’s going on and am worried about temps getting to low
    You're better off putting the second UTH underneath the enclosure, with its own thermostat set in the low 80's and a hide over top.

Another alternative is a deep heat projector (DHP). These are fairly new to the market and emit IR radiation. The waves penetrate plexiglass fairly well if the glass is clean and unscratched, regular glass not so much. Once the IR wave hits a solid object like cage décor or your snake, the energy turns into heat. I picked up a couple to use with my carpet python so he can have a warm-side perch as well as hide, and I'm very pleased with the DHP so far.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    You're better off putting the second UTH underneath the enclosure, with its own thermostat set in the low 80's and a hide over top.

Another alternative is a deep heat projector (DHP). These are fairly new to the market and emit IR radiation. The waves penetrate plexiglass fairly well if the glass is clean and unscratched, regular glass not so much. Once the IR wave hits a solid object like cage décor or your snake, the energy turns into heat. I picked up a couple to use with my carpet python so he can have a warm-side perch as well as hide, and I'm very pleased with the DHP so far.
    Thanks for the advice i will have a look at them and get something sorted ASAP. But in the mean time I was hoping I could do what I suggested The thing I am worried about it it burning the snake if I put it on the inside and any heat is better than none. Under I don’t think it will penitrate as it is inch melimine and I certainly don’t want to put it in the tank on the floory

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    The heat will penetrate the melamine eventually, it just takes longer to heat up. Once it does the floor temp over the UTH will be very stable due to the thermal mass.
    Last edited by bcr229; 03-31-2020 at 02:45 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Alba (03-31-2020)

Thanks

There is no harm putting the heat mat on the out-side with the temp set for 90F with a thermostat.

Short-term--If you have the option of raising the ambient temp. of the room: I'm sure that would help.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 03-31-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    *.* TNTC