Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,958

0 members and 2,958 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Help! My snake became psycho

I have had a BP for 2 years now. Always had aspen bedding with a couple of hides. Finally saved up to get a really nice bioactive setup with borrows and climbing, anything it could want. It has always came out and explored at night, been a picky eater, but easily handled. I have had the bioactive for a month now and she hang out in one of her burrow and as soon as th lights go out she comes half way out of her burrow and if I get anywhere near her she becomes super defensive. Where before she had to almost be tricked into eating now I dont even get the rat in good before she hits it. The confusing part is she really seems to enjoy the new setup. The humidity and temps are all where they should be now and at night if I sit and wait long enough, she utilizes all of her enclosure. Is this normal behvior for bioactive or did she turn into a psycho?

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Help! My snake became psycho

She sounds hungry. Instead of defensive strikes--those may be feeding strikes aimed at the closest heat/movement. I would try increasing the size of the prey item and/or feeding two smaller (which combined add up to more weight) and see if that calms her down.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Damien79 (04-01-2020)

Thanks
    She may now feel really comfortable and safe in the new set up. Now she's decided to make up for all that time being a picky eater.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattEvans For This Useful Post:

Damien79 (04-01-2020),dr del (03-31-2020),Sonny1318 (03-31-2020)

Thanks

Re: Help! My snake became psycho

It makes sense and I thought about that. It is just weird that I just fed her Friday night and it was about a 7 inch bodied rat, which she usually get a 5 to 6 incher. But it is worth a shot to give another. Thanks for the input.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I would keep her on one per week. Also females can go through feed/fast cycles just like males, your has decided it's time to eat.

Usually hook training isn't required for ball pythons but sometimes a snoot boop with an empty paper towel roll is needed for them to realize that it's not dinner time.

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    If she was a picky eater before, sounds like she's trying to make up for lost meals. The last strike my bp went on ended with him going absolutely nuts over food, and even striking at me (which he'd never done before and he was 12 or 13 at the time). After several months of regular eating, he went back to normal. I do not advise feeding more if the snake is already getting the proper sized food at the proper interval. In the wild, feasting is advantageous since they may encounter famines. But in captivity, where we feed them regularly, I see no benefit to pumping them full of extra food unless you also plan on feeding seasonally so they're not getting an influx of extra calories and nutrition year round and get fat.

I have heard anecdotes that snakes put in bioactive can have healthier appetites and better behavior, so it's possible the new set up has impacted her. I would consider this a good sign, and just wait her out for her appetite to stabilize.
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 03-31-2020 at 07:16 PM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-31-2020),Damien79 (04-01-2020)