Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,906

1 members and 2,905 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

BP is sick with something, not sure what and need help!!!!

Hi all,
    I came home from college a week ago. My BP Apophis was acting a little off, we've had quite a few thunderstorms so I thought he was just stressed from all the rattling. I didn't start to notice signs as signs until a few days ago. I planned to take him to the vet but my Mom has all Covid-19 symptoms and is sick so we're quarantined to our house (no Vet). For the most part he appears fine, but he occasionally wheezes, has gunk on one of his nostrils, won't eat and is a tad more lethargic than usual. In addition to this, now he's got some weird coloring around his mouth and an open....sore? on his head. I'm terrified and don't know what to do, I don't think its rot and I'm thinking the scab thing is from him rubbing against something but I don't know for sure. My thought is he has a cold or an RI, but I don't know about the mouth stuff. I pulled down his bottom lip and didn't see any bubbles.... but I don't really know what I'm looking for. Advice and treatment and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nat

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If he needs medical care, online advice will not be sufficient. Have you called the vet? Some vets will agree to see a sick animal if you drop it off.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    As Cheesenugget already said, there is a limit to how much we can help online...& we're not even seeing him. He sounds like seeing a herp. vet would be a good idea-
    IF it's an RI- but it might not be: could be old shed skin blocking his nostril (snakes shed the outer linings of their nostrils but sometimes it can get stuck), or a bit of his
    substrate?...see if you can gently clean it out. While you should pay attention if your snake wheezes, as long as his mouth isn't bubbly or showing mucus, the wheeze
    might be from his blocked nostril.

As far as dropping him off to see a vet, you should also advise the vet that your mom is quarantined with COVID-19 symptoms, because I've read that even though our
    pets don't apparently come down with COVID-19, they can physically carry the virus on their body & you don't want to share that with the vet. I'm so sorry to hear about
    your mom, I hope she's not too ill & makes a good recovery.

You mentioned an open sore on your BP's head, & for that you can use one of several things safely: Povidone-Iodine (Betadine) as used for humans can be dabbed on
    with a Q-tip to kill germs; or if you have Neosporin (again, an antiseptic for human wounds) you can use a tiny dab of that (as long as it's not the pain relief version, as
    that is NOT safe for snakes) but don't use much or for very long, since the base ingredient is petroleum jelly & that can mess up a snake's scales and cause bad future
    sheds; the best choice (& which unfortunately you probably don't have on hand?) is Vetericyn...it's a topical water-based antiseptic made FOR snake use, & sold by Petco,
    Amazon etc. Maybe you could get a friend to pick some up for you, the sooner the better so your snake's wound doesn't get infected. If your snake has a scab, don't
    remove it or mess with it, you'll make it worse by slowing down the healing & possibly causing infection. If your snake's mouth is sore from whatever caused this scab,
    that might just be why he's not ready to eat now. He might also be going into shed cycle too...snakes can feel it before we can see any evidence, & usually when a snake
    has a wound, they shed more frequently in order to heal their body...so be patient & don't assume the worst.

Nat...hang in there...stay healthy, do your best & stay calm...OK?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: BP is sick with something, not sure what and need help!!!!

It sounds like a respiratory infection to me. Being stuck at home sucks, but usually vets still work on emergency cases, so if it really seems awful it might be worth to arrange something.

The most common treatment I've seen is this one shown here: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-from-Home-DIY. Amazon might be able to ship you both the F10 disinfectant and mister.

If NOT... do you have a couple of plastic bins? For this you need a small plastic bin for your snake, and another plastic bin about twice as big. Drill several air holes into both bins. You'll want a decent amount on the smaller one, and a few less on the larger. Place your snake in the small bin. Then boil up a pot of water water, and add half a tea spoon of vicks vaporub. After you add in vicks, leave the top covered until you place it in the large plastic bin.
    When you place in your pot of boiling vicks water, you can put it either on top of the smaller bin, or next to it depending on size. Use a hot pad, so you're not melting any plastic. Then remove the pot's lid, and close the lid of the larger bin. That'll let the vicks mist in there a bit. Check on the snake after five minutes, then put the lid back on, and take it out after another five minutes (total 10 minutes). If you can do this once a day for a several days, you'll see improvements.

Also, not knowing what kind of enclosure you have it in, but I'd pay attention to making sure the humidity and heat are high enough in the enclosure. I'm also not sure what you use for substrate, but it might be worth switching to paper towels for a little bit, just in case. It's easier and quicker to clean, and better at showing any usual "discharge".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andeal View Post
    It sounds like a respiratory infection to me. Being stuck at home sucks, but usually vets still work on emergency cases, so if it really seems awful it might be worth to arrange something.

The most common treatment I've seen is this one shown here: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-from-Home-DIY. Amazon might be able to ship you both the F10 disinfectant and mister.

If NOT... do you have a couple of plastic bins? For this you need a small plastic bin for your snake, and another plastic bin about twice as big. Drill several air holes into both bins. You'll want a decent amount on the smaller one, and a few less on the larger. Place your snake in the small bin. Then boil up a pot of water water, and add half a tea spoon of vicks vaporub. After you add in vicks, leave the top covered until you place it in the large plastic bin.
    When you place in your pot of boiling vicks water, you can put it either on top of the smaller bin, or next to it depending on size. Use a hot pad, so you're not melting any plastic. Then remove the pot's lid, and close the lid of the larger bin. That'll let the vicks mist in there a bit. Check on the snake after five minutes, then put the lid back on, and take it out after another five minutes (total 10 minutes). If you can do this once a day for a several days, you'll see improvements.

Also, not knowing what kind of enclosure you have it in, but I'd pay attention to making sure the humidity and heat are high enough in the enclosure. I'm also not sure what you use for substrate, but it might be worth switching to paper towels for a little bit, just in case. It's easier and quicker to clean, and better at showing any usual "discharge".
    It's dangerous to diagnose snakes online that you are not seeing & not qualified (I'm assuming) to diagnose in the first place.

Treating for something they don't have has been known to do more harm than good. There's a reason that doctors take an oath to "first, do no harm"!

What's more, I'm pretty sure that VICK's is TOXIC to snakes...so I disagree with your advice entirely.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-29-2020),Stewart_Reptiles (03-29-2020),vivi (04-02-2020)

Thanks
    Vick's is designed for use topically, OUTSIDE the HUMAN body; the ingredients do not belong IN the lungs & especially not for snakes. A few quick clips:

Vicks VapoRub is banned in America as it is declared not good for health it can create Asthma, TB etc. It is declared as Toxic by WHO. ... Vicks Vaporub is a common over the counter topical cream used to get relief from symptoms of common cold, cough and congestion.

"The ingredients in Vicks can be irritants, causing the body to produce more mucus to protect the airway," said Bruce K. ... Vicks has been reported to cause inflammation in the eyes, mental status changes, lung inflammation, liver damage, constriction of airways and allergic reactions.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/expert-answers/nasal-decongestant/faq-20058569
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-29-2020 at 01:19 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-29-2020),vivi (04-02-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andeal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It's dangerous to diagnose snakes online that you are not seeing & not qualified (I'm assuming) to diagnose in the first place.

Treating for something they don't have has been known to do more harm than good. There's a reason that doctors take an oath to "first, do no harm"!

What's more, I'm pretty sure that VICK's is TOXIC to snakes...so I disagree with your advice entirely.

I 100000000% agree!!!! It's completely irresponsible to "diagnose" an animal without seeing the animal.

OP, please disregard the information given above. Please do not use vaporub to treat your snake.

This is a perfect example of why it's so important to cross reference information before putting it into action. The internet is a fantastic resource, but as we see here, it's also full of bad information.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-29-2020),Stewart_Reptiles (03-29-2020),vivi (04-02-2020)

Thanks

I've tried and unfortunately I couldn't get through the first time. I will again but I would also like to see if he can be treated from home so I don't put others at risk period. Things at home are super messy right now anyways. I know that's not a reason to put off calling again but I'm worried if I do that it will be worse.

Thanks

I've seen the vicks trick, although I did not use vicks or vapor. I tried the same method with only water though, I figured better to try something than nothing. I will be cleaning his tank for sure and he will temporarily be going to paper towels again. Right now he has a....cypress? substrate. Thank you to everyone who has replied so far, Apophis and I greatly appreciate it. - Nat

Thanks

Hi, thank you so much, this is really helpful. I do have betadine because he's had scale rot a couple times (I'm great at this I know, he's my first snake and unfortunately I've made some mistakes). If I can figure out how to attach some pictures I will, I'lll also try the vet again. Maybe they can do an over the phone consultation, I'd like to have a house call but I don't think that's a good option rn. Again thank you so much, I'm hanging in as best I can - Nat

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyogre20 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-29-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast