Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,293

2 members and 1,291 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    When was she born? She seems small, but not dangerously skinny from what I can tell in the pics. If you can see a lot of spine sticking up, then you're nearing the danger zone. She doesn't appear to be there yet, just based on the pics.

You have a baseline weight now, so I'd say if she starts losing weight drastically, then start to worry. I think once you get your husbandry dialed in and she has time to settle (no handling until 3 meals down), she will be on-track weight-wise.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-27-2020)

Thanks

Re: New snake. Have been reading all the FAQ, and posts. Still no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    When was she born? She seems small, but not dangerously skinny from what I can tell in the pics. If you can see a lot of spine sticking up, then you're nearing the danger zone. She doesn't appear to be there yet, just based on the pics.

You have a baseline weight now, so I'd say if she starts losing weight drastically, then start to worry. I think once you get your husbandry dialed in and she has time to settle (no handling until 3 meals down), she will be on-track weight-wise.
    Again, i don't know when she was born. I don't want to say it. But i got her at a big box store. Just to cute to leave there.

I'll keep a close eye on her weight and spine. Thanks again.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ZakuMedik For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (03-27-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZakuMedik View Post
    I have three hides. Two identical and one different. I only added a third because the tank is so big for her, and i read that adding another hide can make her feel more safe.

One more question. Does she look too skinny? when should i start to really worry?
    She looks a hair thin, but not near the danger zone yet. I'm sure she'll get eating for you soon. Young BPs fill out pretty quickly when eating consistently. Also keep in mind they add length before filling out.

Like hila said, as long as there's no significant weight loss I wouldn't worry yet.

That being said, it's important you keep taking the steps you're taking and applying what you're learning. Getting husbandry dialed in is priority one, getting her eating is right behind that. Once your husbandry is fixed you'll have better success feeding too.
    Keep up the good work!!
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 03-27-2020 at 04:37 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (03-27-2020),vivi (04-04-2020),ZakuMedik (03-27-2020)

Thanks

Again, i don't know when she was born. I don't want to say it. But i got her at a big box store. Just to cute to leave there.

I'll keep a close eye on her weight and spine. Thanks again.
    LOL, no worries. She's yours now and you'll do what's best for her. I purposely refuse to look when I go to Pet_ because it's too much for my little heart to take. We're only human, right?!

Stick around here, search the forum and ask anytime you have questions. You've found the world's greatest resource for ball python care, so take free advantage.

Do we have a name yet??

Lizards:

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-27-2020),ZakuMedik (03-27-2020)

Thanks

LOL, no worries. She's yours now and you'll do what's best for her. I purposely refuse to look when I go to Pet_ because it's too much for my little heart to take. We're only human, right?!

Stick around here, search the forum and ask anytime you have questions. You've found the world's greatest resource for ball python care, so take free advantage.

Do we have a name yet??

I think Cassiopeia.
    But i wont settle on it until she feeds.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZakuMedik For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-27-2020),dr del (03-27-2020),hilabeans (03-27-2020)

Thanks

Update

So, its been a week.
    Got the thermostats. Got a infrared heat gun.
    Temps have been 80-88
    Have not handled. Just left her alone all week. Her activity is pretty normal to evening and morning she will come out and explore. Once or twice she has been out mid day, looking around or creepin on me.

Tonight i waited to feed until night. She had been out of her hide for over an hour in the same spot. I offered F/T fuzzy again. Not too big. Soaked in chicken broth. She smelled it, turned away. After a few minutes went into a hide.

I guess now i look for live and see if she takes? I feel like I'm at a loss here.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Update

So, its been a week.
    Got the thermostats. Got a infrared heat gun.
    Temps have been 80-88
    Have not handled. Just left her alone all week. Her activity is pretty normal to evening and morning she will come out and explore. Once or twice she has been out mid day, looking around or creepin on me.

Tonight i waited to feed until night. She had been out of her hide for over an hour in the same spot. I offered F/T fuzzy again. Not too big. Soaked in chicken broth. She smelled it, turned away. After a few minutes went into a hide.

I guess now i look for live and see if she takes? I feel like I'm at a loss here.
    All sounds good except the chicken broth and the fuzzy.

You need to offer appropriately sized prey. She may not be striking because she doesn't even recognize a fuzzy as prey since they eat bigger than that out of the egg.

And there's no need for chicken broth. Rodents are their natural diet, not chicken. So hiding the scent of rodent with chicken is counter productive.

Lastly, since they're ambush predators it's best to feed when they're IN their hides.

So in conclusion, get some small adult mice. Don't scent them. Feed at night while the snake is in her hide.

Oh, one other thing. Make sure the prey is hot enough. You can use your temp gun til you get the hang of it. Aim F r about 100° focusing on the head.
    Since fuzzies are so small they cool down real quick too.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (04-04-2020),hilabeans (04-04-2020),vivi (04-04-2020),ZakuMedik (04-04-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do this to a T and I mean a T https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-hatchling-101 and do not waste time, cluttering a cage does not always work and obviously it is not for you, and if you keep offering inadequate prey size this will not work either.

If you do not act fact this will be a viscious circle and your BP will reach the point of no return especially at 72 grams which is the wet of a BP out of the egg (on the large size)
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 04-04-2020 at 10:44 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-04-2020),hilabeans (04-04-2020),ZakuMedik (04-04-2020)

Thanks
    I started my BP off on Deb's method above and it was flawless. From firsthand experience it works, and you are in triage mode so follow it absolutely to the letter.

Lizards:

Tarantulas:

Inverts:

Dog & Cats:

Goats:

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-04-2020),Stewart_Reptiles (04-04-2020),ZakuMedik (04-04-2020)

Thanks

I started my BP off on Deb's method above and it was flawless. From firsthand experience it works, and you are in triage mode so follow it absolutely to the letter.

So my concern is, now once a week i am changing her environment. Again, i am more then happy to buy and do anything that will work. And i just want to make sure, that this isnt going to stress her out more.

Container - https://www.amazon.com/STERILITE-175...%2C218&sr=8-14

Hide - https://www.amazon.com/Idyllize-Piec...%2C211&sr=8-15

I'll use a bowl from my dishes for water, and i have aspen and coconut. UTH w/ thermostats. Anything I'm missing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast