Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,980

1 members and 2,979 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

I havent seen her come out of her hide in a week.

Like the title says, my Ball Python (Lucie) has spent the last nearly a week in her hide. Even during her normal active hours when we usually see her out and about, shes just been in her hide. My gf and I have had her for a little over a month. The breeder didnt tell us how old she was exactly, but she's young. I'd say probably not older then 3 months. She's been eating regularly (with the exception of the first week). The last time she ate was last Friday night/Saturday morning (March 20th). When I didnt see her for a couple days after that I had assumedit was because she just ate, but it's coming up on a week now.. I'm assuming shes about to shed, as she hasn't done that since we've had her, so I know shes due for one soon. I'm probably just being a little paranoid, but I wanted to be safe and ask if anyone had any opinions on the situation.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Well if you "must" lift her hide & reassure yourself, you'll probably just get a huffy response...she's likely going into, or already in, a shed cycle...and that can easily run
    2 weeks or so, from start to finish. Keeping snakes requires some patience. Make sure she has water & good humidity. She's on "snake time", not "human schedule".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-27-2020),GoingPostal (03-27-2020),Luvyna (03-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: I havent seen her come out of her hide in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakemh91 View Post
    Like the title says, my Ball Python (Lucie) has spent the last nearly a week in her hide. Even during her normal active hours when we usually see her out and about, shes just been in her hide. My gf and I have had her for a little over a month. The breeder didnt tell us how old she was exactly, but she's young. I'd say probably not older then 3 months. She's been eating regularly (with the exception of the first week). The last time she ate was last Friday night/Saturday morning (March 20th). When I didnt see her for a couple days after that I had assumedit was because she just ate, but it's coming up on a week now.. I'm assuming shes about to shed, as she hasn't done that since we've had her, so I know shes due for one soon. I'm probably just being a little paranoid, but I wanted to be safe and ask if anyone had any opinions on the situation.
    It is fine and normal. Possibly a shed coming, but an "active period" for a royal is not typical. A happy royal is a hidden royal. Ours is coming up on 9 years old and she's in her hide 97% of the time.

If you haven't read any media that discusses the natural biology of the species, I'd suggest you do. A great many folks don't understand the eating habits of the royal python, and their intentional isolation in regards to where they live.

New keepers are often hyper-vigilant which isn't a bad thing, however you can put yourself at ease by throughly researching the particular species you keep.

Let her be and she'll be fine. Not doing much is what they do best.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2020),Craiga 01453 (03-27-2020),GoingPostal (03-27-2020),jmcrook (03-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    When mine disappear into their hides for days it always means shed time.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Bodie (04-01-2020),Craiga 01453 (03-27-2020),Jakemh91 (03-26-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Just a thought; as you didn't mention what the hide is, it may be worth a quick lift to double check that your snake is able to exit and that it is not caught on something inside your hide. This may be irrelevant but not seeing what you have, it makes me feel better to mention it. Better to have a grumpy snake than one in desperate need...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tila For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-27-2020),Luvyna (03-26-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tila View Post
    Just a thought; as you didn't mention what the hide is, it may be worth a quick lift to double check that your snake is able to exit and that it is not caught on something inside your hide. This may be irrelevant but not seeing what you have, it makes me feel better to mention it. Better to have a grumpy snake than one in desperate need...
    Oh I already did that. Her hide is just an empty rock/cave looking thing. After 2-3 days of not seeing her out AT ALL (She usually comes out at night for a little bit) I lifted her hide to make sure she was okay. The hide has a lip the runs all the way along the bottom that she usually curls herself up onto. Usually when I pick up her hide shes stuck on that lip but she'll un curl herself and go onto my hand. She didn't do that this time and I had to pull her off. She did NOT want to leave the hide, bt I needed to check to make sure she was physically okay. She was.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jakemh91 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2020),Tila (03-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Yeah,

I agree it is probably a shed cycle - make sure your humidity is on point and share pictures of the new skin .
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-27-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Look out for activity and it’s colour returning / eyes clearing and then start spraying the viv daily .. it will shed anywhere in the following 7 to 10 days .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Take a picture of your hide. I had some that kind of sound like what you described. I got them because I thought he would be little more visible for my kids. I learned later that the hides I had were too open and the snake would not feel secure in them. I ended up getting the black plastic ones. I initially thought the rock hides would look better but I also realized the snake feeling secure is more important then the looks of the hide. Not saying your hides are bad but someone might see a husbandry issue that your not realizing. I also noticed the first time ours went into shed it started staying in the hide almost all the time.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-01-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Yeah,

I agree it is probably a shed cycle - make sure your humidity is on point and share pictures of the new skin .
    Turns out it was a shed, thankfully. Everything turned out fine. Unfortunately I'm not able to post pics for some reason.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jakemh91 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-01-2020),Zincubus (04-01-2020)