Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,983

1 members and 2,982 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My Baby Albino BP from XYZ Reptiles...

So I got a male Albino ball from XYZ at the beginning of February this year. I did a lot of reading about them and felt pretty confident about my decision to get a baby from them as everything I saw was good reviews. I was a little Leary of the fact that I wasn’t going to be able to see pics of the little dude before I got him... but figured it would be fine since they were an established company.

Fast forward. He arrives via FedEx, 74g, 4 months old. Cool. But his skin is like... hanging off of him on his back end. His head squishies even looked big because his body was so thin. Oof. I got him in his quarantine bin, took a few photos and let him be. When I looked at him a few days later, it looked like his sides were... I don’t even know. Dimpled? And he had the “I’m too thin” wrinkles. It took me two weeks to get him to take food easily.

Fast forward again. It’s March 26th. He’s 145g. No longer wrinkly and ropey... but still has some of the “dimpling” on his sides. Smashes rat pups like a champ and has an actual Ball Python shape. I never bothered contacting XYZ because their policies seemed pretty clear that once the animal arrives to the customer it’s no longer their problem.

my question is, has anyone else had a similar experience with them? Also... what is with the weird dImpling look on his sides? I honestly could be overreacting about that because he’s my first light colored snake I’ve had from that small. Just curious about everyone’s opinions.

thanks.
    Serpens Reptiles EST 2019
    I spent the first 23 years of my life, living in fear of snakes. I want to help others see the beauty and power of these amazing animals, and give them the chance to see reptiles with wonder and love rather than fear and hate.

1.0 Normal (Hubble)
    1.0 Pied (Oberon)
    1.0 Albino (Jupiter)
    1.0 Vanilla Het Clown (Cassini)
    0.1 Het Albino (Minerva)
    0.1 Lesser Het OG 66% Het Clown (Saturn)
    0.1 Het Pied (Ophelia)
    0.1 Spider (Shatter)
    0.1 Mojave (Alya)
    0.1 Mystic Leopard (Pandora)
    1.0 Amelanistic Corn Snake (Salazar)
    1.0 Okeetee Corn Snake (Panic)
    0.1 Chocolate Albino Leopard Gecko (Perry)

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" J. Canfield

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I've never done business with them, but based on the reputation I've heard I wouldn't. Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Thanks

Re: My Baby Albino BP from XYZ Reptiles...

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I've never done business with them, but based on the reputation I've heard I wouldn't. Sorry I can't be more help than that.
    What have you heard if you don't mind me asking? When I had done research beforehand, I had seen only good reviews from people online both here and independently.
    I spent the first 23 years of my life, living in fear of snakes. I want to help others see the beauty and power of these amazing animals, and give them the chance to see reptiles with wonder and love rather than fear and hate.

1.0 Normal (Hubble)
    1.0 Pied (Oberon)
    1.0 Albino (Jupiter)
    0.1 Het Albino (Minerva)
    0.1 Het Pied (Ophelia)
    0.1 Spider (Shatter)
    0.1 Mojave (Alya)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GhostEchoes92 View Post
    What have you heard if you don't mind me asking? When I had done research beforehand, I had seen only good reviews from people online both here and independently.
    Primarily that their reptiles aren't always in great shape when they ship.
    I may be mistaken, so forgive me if I am, but do they breed or are they essentially a middle man. I think they just distribute animals but don't breed. But not 100%.

Thanks

Primarily that their reptiles aren't always in great shape when they ship.
    I may be mistaken, so forgive me if I am, but do they breed or are they essentially a middle man. I think they just distribute animals but don't breed. But not 100%.
    I was under the impression that they bred their own reptiles in house, however I could be wrong. I will admit that it made me uncomfortable that they just referred to the babies as "stock numbers" rather than individuals. I'm starting to regret my decision to buy him from there instead of a breeder from Morph Market... but again, I thought I did my research. I can say though, I 100% will NOT be doing that again. I wouldn't give my little guy up though - he's doing better now. He eats, sheds, poops. He's very timid... but i'm also not sure how much of that is poor vision because of the red albino eyes. I just really really hope that he doesn't have any lasting issues from his rough start. I had gotten him for my het Albino female once they're up to size, but if I see any serious issues ill put that out the door before it even starts.

1.0 Normal (Hubble)
    1.0 Pied (Oberon)
    1.0 Albino (Jupiter)
    0.1 Het Albino (Minerva)
    0.1 Het Pied (Ophelia)
    0.1 Spider (Shatter)
    0.1 Mojave (Alya)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GhostEchoes92 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2020),Craiga 01453 (03-26-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GhostEchoes92 View Post
    I was under the impression that they bred their own reptiles in house, however I could be wrong. I will admit that it made me uncomfortable that they just referred to the babies as "stock numbers" rather than individuals. I'm starting to regret my decision to buy him from there instead of a breeder from Morph Market... but again, I thought I did my research. I can say though, I 100% will NOT be doing that again. I wouldn't give my little guy up though - he's doing better now. He eats, sheds, poops. He's very timid... but i'm also not sure how much of that is poor vision because of the red albino eyes. I just really really hope that he doesn't have any lasting issues from his rough start. I had gotten him for my het Albino female once they're up to size, but if I see any serious issues ill put that out the door before it even starts.
    Yeah, I could definitely be mistaken....

It sounds like you've got everything on the right track though. I don't anticipate any long term issues at all, could just be a slow start that you turned around.

Many breeders use reference numbers, but will also share current pics and be able to answer most questions about that individual animal. It's just easier to assign numbers for their organizational records and what not.
    Generally speaking, if they can't or won't share current pics and weights as well as eating history I'd turn and walk the other way.

But anyway, it sounds like he found a good home

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2020)

Thanks

Yeah, I could definitely be mistaken....

It sounds like you've got everything on the right track though. I don't anticipate any long term issues at all, could just be a slow start that you turned around.

Many breeders use reference numbers, but will also share current pics and be able to answer most questions about that individual animal. It's just easier to assign numbers for their organizational records and what not.
    Generally speaking, if they can't or won't share current pics and weights as well as eating history I'd turn and walk the other way.

But anyway, it sounds like he found a good home
    Thank you

He's my little buddy. I've literally wanted an Albino from the time that I got into Ball Pythons years ago, and of course the one that I get is the one snake I've had issues with. Thanks for your input, it helped ease my mind some. I just wanna give him the best with what he's got now... Keep moving forward and not look back.

1.0 Normal (Hubble)
    1.0 Pied (Oberon)
    1.0 Albino (Jupiter)
    0.1 Het Albino (Minerva)
    0.1 Het Pied (Ophelia)
    0.1 Spider (Shatter)
    0.1 Mojave (Alya)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GhostEchoes92 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    It might help if we saw pics of "the weird dImpling look on his sides"?. It does sound like you're on the right track now...I hope so. Honestly, for me,
    the big red flag would be not SEEING a photo of the exact snake before buying. I also understand why sellers don't want animals returned to them,
    but to just flatly say, in essence, it's all yours once delivered is also less than stellar service that I'd shy away from in the future. It's very hard to go
    by online reviews, since some are probably faked by friends or even for paybacks...call me suspicious.
    But be happy he's eating for you, & as
    already noted, his slow start hopefully won't hold him back long-term. But I'd be inclined to get a stool check one of these days (by a qualified herp
    vet) just to be sure that nothing's going on there.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-26-2020 at 06:55 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It might help if we saw pics of "the weird dImpling look on his sides"?. It does sound like you're on the right track now...I hope so. Honestly, for me,
    the big red flag would be not SEEING a photo of the exact snake before buying. I also understand why sellers don't want animals returned to them,
    but to just flatly say, in essence, it's all yours once delivered is also less than stellar service that I'd shy away from in the future. It's very hard to go
    by online reviews, since some are probably faked by friends or even for paybacks...call me suspicious.
    But be happy he's eating for you, & as
    already noted, his slow start hopefully won't hold him back long-term. But I'd be inclined to get a stool check one of these days (by a qualified herp
    vet) just to be sure that nothing's going on there.
    I am figuring out the photo sharing bit right now and then I will add a photo, I have tons. I am downloading the Tapatalk app as we speak.

I was thinking about taking him in for a vet eval as well... we have a really great herp vet near us that takes care of our guys any time we've had any concerns. I just may have to do that once this whole COVID-19 thing blows over. Most places around us are only taking urgent or emergent appointments right now.

1.0 Normal (Hubble)
    1.0 Pied (Oberon)
    1.0 Albino (Jupiter)
    0.1 Het Albino (Minerva)
    0.1 Het Pied (Ophelia)
    0.1 Spider (Shatter)
    0.1 Mojave (Alya)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GhostEchoes92 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-30-2020)

Thanks

So this is the dimpling I mentioned. This was like two weeks after I got him before I got him eating really well.

Then this was him the day I got him...

And this is him now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.0 Normal (Hubble)
    1.0 Pied (Oberon)
    1.0 Albino (Jupiter)
    0.1 Het Albino (Minerva)
    0.1 Het Pied (Ophelia)
    0.1 Spider (Shatter)
    0.1 Mojave (Alya)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GhostEchoes92 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-30-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast