Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

2 members and 3,284 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Active display reptile?

I'm looking for some type of reptile to put near my pc. I'm a gamer and spend most of my time in my TV room where our PC's and consoles are. I'd love to have something active to watch while hanging out as my two current snakes are hiders (Juvi Terrazo Corn and a Juvi BI). They both have big beautifully decorated enclosures but if you try to get my Boa off her hidden perch or my Corn out of her paper towel tube... So this is what I'm looking for specifically and I'd love some suggestions:

• Arboreal tank
    • Small species
    • Active during the day

I was thinking Crestie but I'm not sure about them as I've never had a gecko. My other thought was a GTP because they are always out on display and so beautiful but please give me some things to research while I'm trapped in quarantine lol.
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    Emerald Tree Boa. They're not always active, but they're always perched and visible. They're docile despite their mean look. Cooler than a GTP imo.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Alien (04-27-2020),PartySnake13 (04-27-2020),Team Slytherin (03-26-2020)

Thanks

Re: Active display reptile?

If you’re thinking small arboreal, an Amazon tree boa is one to think about!

Thanks

I'm quite partial to boas. I've got a female common and she is the sweetest thing. I previously had a BRB and she was also amazing. I had to rehome her because life stuff but I miss her all the time. She was never out though haha.

Are they similar care wise? I've looked into GTP a bit and know they have higher humidity requirements. Was already planning on getting a nice PVC setup anyway... Hm. I'll have to research.

- - - Updated - - -

Adding them to the list!! Ty!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Australian Spotted python! Mine often prefers to snooze on her driftwood under a (dimmed, black) warming light. While technically a day sleeper, it's hard to tell- any
    motion around her cage, she is ready to investigate. Easy to feed (prefers!) f/t small mice, & not nippy with handling, at least mine isn't (some others may disagree but
    that's my experience)...she's a nice small snake to watch, but also good to handle...only one accidental nip in 11 years & my fault. My adult is smaller than a large/older
    corn snake would be, so not a tiny pet, but about the size of an average adult corn...30 gal. tank can work fine & yes, arboreal. Mine rarely uses her hides on floor level-
    prefers branches/ladders/ & her humid hide (over UTH side). She uses cool hide only when in shed.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    ETB would be too large for the 'small species' requirement IMO A GTP might work. Both species generally just stay perched, so they look nice but they don't tend to move a lot during the day in my experience.
    Amazon Tree Boas are awesome, I keep several, but as far as a display - they are really only active at night and spend most of the day curled up on a perch (hidden if possible) or in a hide (photos of mine here: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...2-Wall-of-ATBs )
    A crestie would probably be a good choice, they are small, easy to care for and well, adorable. They will also hang out on the walls or on sticks/leaves and such instead of other active cute species such as leopard geckos that stay on the ground).

Good luck with whatever you choose!
    For the Horde!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    A male carpet python is another option as they don't get too big. Mine only hides when in shed, the rest of the time he's out and perching or hunting.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-26-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    A male carpet python is another option as they don't get too big. Mine only hides when in shed, the rest of the time he's out and perching or hunting.
    I looooove carpet pythons. They are so incredibly gorgeous. How big is your male and what size enclosure?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    ETB would be too large for the 'small species' requirement IMO A GTP might work. Both species generally just stay perched, so they look nice but they don't tend to move a lot during the day in my experience.
    Amazon Tree Boas are awesome, I keep several, but as far as a display - they are really only active at night and spend most of the day curled up on a perch (hidden if possible) or in a hide (photos of mine here: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...2-Wall-of-ATBs )
    A crestie would probably be a good choice, they are small, easy to care for and well, adorable. They will also hang out on the walls or on sticks/leaves and such instead of other active cute species such as leopard geckos that stay on the ground).

Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Thanks very much! Yours is gorgeous!! I wouldn't mind looking at something like that all day long haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I also recommend Trans Pecos* rat snakes for personality...nocturnal, yes, but like the spotted pythons, very nosy & adaptable. Very gentle pets, easy to feed (f/t mice) & adults about 4'. I'd recommend a 40 gal. glass tank (ultimately for adults), if that's not too big for you-? They love branches too, often sleep in their baskets (attached to branches). (*Bogertophis subocularis, get it?)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-26-2020 at 05:45 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I'd vote male carpet as well. An Irian Jaya or a Darwin will stay pretty small.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 03-26-2020 at 05:49 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-26-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast