Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,771

1 members and 2,770 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is my Corn getting fat??

Current picture of Sicle, He (pretty sure/not verified) has that line going down the middle of his back

Is that mean he's getting overweight? I've seen some charts say that's what it means.

He's getting an adult mouse once a week, should I stretch it out to every two weeks?

Thanks
    He is looking a little chubby. The line down the middle is a sign of obesity according to Snake Discovery. Stretching out to two weeks sounds like a good idea.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2020),Gocntry (03-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    I don't judge the line down their back as being overweight. I tend to look more at their sides /belly to see if they are more square or rounded.

Oh and if it is a recent weight gain / shape change, you might just have a female that is ovulating.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2020),Gocntry (03-26-2020)

Thanks

Re: Is my Corn getting fat??

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    I don't judge the line down their back as being overweight. I tend to look more at their sides /belly to see if they are more square or rounded.

Oh and if it is a recent weight gain / shape change, you might just have a female that is ovulating.
    This was one of my adoptions last year from the local animal rescue, I have no other corns either.

I don't believe the weight was sudden, he's been shedding and slowly growing over the last year.

I'll have to check the last couple times I weighed him and do a current weight to see how fast the weight has been

But if it turns out he's a she then what? If ovulation is occurring what can I expect next?

Thanks for any info.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    This was one of my adoptions last year from the local animal rescue, I have no other corns either.

I don't believe the weight was sudden, he's been shedding and slowly growing over the last year.

I'll have to check the last couple times I weighed him and do a current weight to see how fast the weight has been

But if it turns out he's a she then what? If ovulation is occurring what can I expect next?

Thanks for any info.
    If he is a she and is ovulating there isn't anything you need to do. Most of the time their back 2/3rds swells some. Majority of the time they just readsorb the eggs though sometimes they will lay a clutch of infertile ones.

I have several females right now that I'm not breeding and they are looking thicker than normal.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-27-2020),Gocntry (03-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I look at the vent area and overall body shape. In that photo, it's hard to tell.

However, if he/she is getting love handles at the vent, time to slow down feeding.

I feed my male Corn an adult mouse every two weeks and he maintains his weight well. If he drops, I add a mouse 2 weeks in a row and then go back to the normal schedule of every other week.

Figment, who is male corn, did get love handles, and when I moved him to the above schedule, went from 660G to about 620G and lost the love handles.

Solana, my female corn, is almost 300G now and eating adult mice, but since I don't want her to get where Figment was, I am feeding her every other week now a smallish adult mouse. She's still growing, but proportionately, that's a bigger meal for her than for Figment, obviously.

Either way, and sorry I rambled, going to every other week probably won't hurt anything.

Below are my threads for Figment and Solana if you want to see Figment too heavy and then back to a good weight. Solana is proportionally looking good, IMO.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...rn-Baby/page10

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ey-Corn/page25

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-27-2020),Gocntry (03-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

If "he" is an ovulating she then you might be able to feel the eggs as you run your fingers down her sides.

Bear in mind that most snakes in captivity are overfed and by the time it starts to visibly show extra weight with the line down the back or love handles at the vent/tail, fatty deposits have already built up around the organs.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (04-23-2020),Craiga 01453 (03-27-2020),dakski (03-27-2020),Gocntry (03-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Is my Corn getting fat??

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    Current picture of Sicle, He (pretty sure/not verified) has that line going down the middle of his back

Is that mean he's getting overweight? I've seen some charts say that's what it means.

He's getting an adult mouse once a week, should I stretch it out to every two weeks?

Slight tangent but such a beautiful , brightly coloured snake deserves to be shown on dark coloured substrate like Orchid bark ( maybe sold as Reptibark over there ) ...check out the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 03-27-2020 at 03:28 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (03-28-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Slight tangent but such a beautiful , brightly coloured snake deserves to be shown on dark coloured substrate like Orchid bark ( maybe sold as Reptibark over there ) ...check out the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Wow, that definitely pulls the color out! But how is that stuff for digging? Sicle Loves his deep aspen for tunneling, I give him enough where he can bury

himself totally under if he wants

Thanks

Thanks for all the info everybody,

I was going to get Sicle out and shoot a couple better pics, and see if I could feel any eggs.

But when I got home from work, Sicle was in his hot hide, and his color has faded (shed time), I did lift the hide and got that "don't even think about it"

look, so I left him alone. Friday was his feed day, so skipped his mouse for this week too. Once he finished his shedding, I'll get some better pics of his

body shape and a current weight also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast