Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,453

1 members and 2,452 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

New Tub and feeding schedule

I recently finally got my first ball. I let him sit for about 5 days then attempted to feed him. He took his first meal (F/T) instantly, I was so proud of him. Let him sit for 48 hrs, handled him. No hiss, no balling up(originally was a hisser when I first held him at the shop and when I first got him home). No s-position, overall things are going great.

I noticed my tub was not holding humidity above 50%. Came to a conclusion it was because I drilled way too many holes. Didn't want to tape them up, so I bought a new tub. Set it up exactly like the original tub, used the same substrate he was in and hides. Reduced the holes by 50% and now my humidity is consistently between 55%/60%.

The first hour I put him in in the new tub, he was roaming around as if it was a completely new environment. I thought I could fool him by using the old substrate and hides due to him being use to the scent, but he wasn't fooled. Anyways, after a few hours, he seemed to have settled back in, he was back to hiding in his hides all the time.

My question is, should i stick to my original feeding schedule(due in a few days) or should I reset it and give him a week again before I attempt to feed. He seems settled back in, but I would like input from you guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    You don't mention how old the snake is, but you should be good to resume your schedule but if not, that's ok too. A week here or there isn't a big deal. One of my adult females likes to eat every 2-3 weeks and she does just fine and maintains a good body shape. Many of the feeding schedules and advice you see on the internet are based on breeders trying to get snakes up to weight so they can breed. That was not meant to be negative in any way, just saying that your BP can still thrive without eating every single week. If your snake is very young by all means feed every 7 days though...

Thanks

Re: New Tub and feeding schedule

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and fed him and he took it like a champ. Im not sure of his age. Im going to buy a scale this weekend for what its worth.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikehigh05 For This Useful Post:

cletus (03-28-2020)