Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,385

0 members and 2,385 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Hybrid View

Thanks

new BP owner eating questions

Hello,

Just last month I got my first ever ball python. Unfortunately right after I got him, a close friend of mine passed away, directly followed by my getting kicked out of my school's dorms due to the coronavirus pandemic. I had to pack everything up and drive 6 hours from NYC to my parents' house- including my new snake. I have not yet been successful in getting him to eat, and I would love suggestions on how to reduce his stress and see if I can get him to eat anything.
    His set up is in a 10 gallon glass tank with a screen on top. He has an UTH on one side with a thermostat as well as a heat lamp as a secondary heat source. Currently the thermostat is set at 88, and the temperature on the warm side can be anywhere between 86-90. The cool side is currently at about 75 and usually stays there, although it can sometimes be 70 at night, and humidity is between 50-60%. I have two hides, one on each side, and a water bowl in the middle. I have handled him a few times, mostly when in the process of moving, but am trying to leave him alone as much as possible.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to encourage him to eat? He has not eaten since I got him, and I am not sure at what point I should be worried. He is pretty young, not sure exactly how old but younger than a year. I have been offering fuzzy mice which I know are not large enough, I think he should be eating "hopper" mice, but fuzzy mice were all that was left at the pet store. I saw the thread outlining an exact enclosure and method to get a young snake to eat, but again, I am unable to access much at the moment. If you have any advice on what I can do with limited resources please let me know. My mother is a cancer patient so I really can't just run down to the pet store to get something, especially if I shouldn't be particularly worried yet. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: new BP owner eating questions

Quote Originally Posted by creatur3feature View Post
    Hello,

Just last month I got my first ever ball python. Unfortunately right after I got him, a close friend of mine passed away, directly followed by my getting kicked out of my school's dorms due to the coronavirus pandemic. I had to pack everything up and drive 6 hours from NYC to my parents' house- including my new snake. I have not yet been successful in getting him to eat, and I would love suggestions on how to reduce his stress and see if I can get him to eat anything.
    His set up is in a 10 gallon glass tank with a screen on top. He has an UTH on one side with a thermostat as well as a heat lamp as a secondary heat source. Currently the thermostat is set at 88, and the temperature on the warm side can be anywhere between 86-90. The cool side is currently at about 75 and usually stays there, although it can sometimes be 70 at night, and humidity is between 50-60%. I have two hides, one on each side, and a water bowl in the middle. I have handled him a few times, mostly when in the process of moving, but am trying to leave him alone as much as possible.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to encourage him to eat? He has not eaten since I got him, and I am not sure at what point I should be worried. He is pretty young, not sure exactly how old but younger than a year. I have been offering fuzzy mice which I know are not large enough, I think he should be eating "hopper" mice, but fuzzy mice were all that was left at the pet store. I saw the thread outlining an exact enclosure and method to get a young snake to eat, but again, I am unable to access much at the moment. If you have any advice on what I can do with limited resources please let me know. My mother is a cancer patient so I really can't just run down to the pet store to get something, especially if I shouldn't be particularly worried yet. Thanks!
    Aside from the 75F and definitely 70F being too cold, the setup sounds decent temp and humidity wise. You might want change to a CHE and run all the time (I assume the lamp goes off at night) and move closer to the cool side and use the UTH for the warm side. 10G isn't too big that you cannot adjust with proper wattage.

However, how are you checking your temps? With a heat gun (IR)? If not, then you really don't know for sure especially ground temps.

Secondly, how old is he? How much does he weigh? What was he eating prior to you getting him? Are you offering live or Frozen Thawed (F/T)?

If you can answer these questions, it should help us better help you.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (03-25-2020),Zincubus (03-25-2020)

Thanks

Re: new BP owner eating questions

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Aside from the 75F and definitely 70F being too cold, the setup sounds decent temp and humidity wise. You might want change to a CHE and run all the time (I assume the lamp goes off at night) and move closer to the cool side and use the UTH for the warm side. 10G isn't too big that you cannot adjust with proper wattage.

However, how are you checking your temps? With a heat gun (IR)? If not, then you really don't know for sure especially ground temps.

Secondly, how old is he? How much does he weigh? What was he eating prior to you getting him? Are you offering live or Frozen Thawed (F/T)?

If you can answer these questions, it should help us better help you.
    Thank you for replying. If I get a CHE bulb, that will solve the problem for the cooler side? Do you have any suggestions for a reliable brand?
    I have been checking with thermometers I placed in the tank. Are there any types of heat gun I could order online for a reasonable price? I am unfortunately on a much more limited budget during this time than I anticipated being when I got my snake.
    I am not sure exactly how old he is, I can reach out to the breeder and ask. Not sure his weight either, I don't currently have access to a scale. If you think this is essential I would also be willing to order one. When I bought him the breeder said he was eating frozen/thawed so that is what I have been offering. I don't know where I would get live at the moment.
    I hope that this answers your questions.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

new BP owner eating questions

I’ve pmd you details of the hairdryer feeding method

Everything else has been said in the post above ..

Are the two heat sources regulated by a thermostat ?? They are essential .

As above digital temp guns to take random surface tennis are invaluable- especially at about 9 dollars off eBay or Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 03-25-2020 at 08:41 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-25-2020),Luvyna (03-25-2020)