Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,873

3 members and 2,870 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

International ban on BP trade

Came across this ridiculous article. Where the heck do they get this info?????
    Sure, there are plenty of dirtbags out there, but to paint the international snake hobby in such a bad light is just sad and ignorant.

https://www.thecitizen.co.tz/news/Wo...l8z/index.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-01-2020)

Thanks

Re: International ban on BP trade

The fact that some people say snakes are bad pets is just purely opinion. (And a bad one at that) Look at how many people are killed/injured by other animals such as horses or dogs. It's insane.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PToner For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-25-2020),MissterDog (03-25-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There always has been and always will be people using crisis not matter how small or big to push their own agenda, you are probably looking at an animal activist (PETA type), based on the twisted information given such as
    depleted millions of animals in Africa over the last several decades.
    knowing that in some part they are considered a nuisance and to add to that they are strictly regulated by the C.I.T.I.E.S (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species)

In the mind of some people it's "never let a tragedy go to waste"
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-25-2020 at 11:00 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

cincy (03-25-2020),cletus (03-25-2020),Craiga 01453 (03-25-2020),JobForARetic (09-22-2020),MissterDog (03-25-2020),vivi (04-01-2020)

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Pfft, that news outlet is primitive and dumb. A glance at their other articles shows inaccurate information retention as well. I’d brush it off.
    It’s when U.K. and U.S. articles start getting published that demand the end of the wild animal trade... well, that’s when you should show concern.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebonnet Herp For This Useful Post:

Spicey (04-01-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    "World Animal Protection." nuff said. These self proclaimed 'heroes' in the animal rights community makes all kinds of noise so they can gain more donations to support their 'cause.'

I don't keep wild caught specimens, but that is my personal choice. And to assume all ball pythons are kept in such horrid conditions, really? Let me ask my Banana - he is still enjoying a full belly of rat and sleeping comfortably in his hide, in a safe and clean enclosure.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-01-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet Herp View Post
    Pfft, that news outlet is primitive and dumb. A glance at their other articles shows inaccurate information retention as well. I’d brush it off.
    It’s when U.K. and U.S. articles start getting published that demand the end of the wild animal trade... well, that’s when you should show concern.
    Oh I'm not concerned. It was shared more as a "can you believe these morons?" than to be taken seriously.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

You may want to also consider that the most popular show out right now is "Tiger King" on Netflix, which is all about animal keepers and the exploitation of the animals. The word "Exotic" is so pervasive because of one of the persons profiled uses it as part of his moniker. Most people I have spoken with that have watched the show have the takeaway that the people are garbage and the fate of the animals needs more intervention. My concern is it may, as a side effect, bring more eyes and scrutiny on any animal industry that is not main stream like dogs, cats, and horses. All we need is someone with agenda, proficiency in technology and social media, plus deep pockets, to start that snowball rolling down hill. Remember, news doesn't have to be accurate, it only needs to grab attention enough for it to take on a life of its own. These are the times we live in.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-01-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    You may want to also consider that the most popular show out right now is "Tiger King" on Netflix, which is all about animal keepers and the exploitation of the animals. The word "Exotic" is so pervasive because of one of the persons profiled uses it as part of his moniker. Most people I have spoken with that have watched the show have the takeaway that the people are garbage and the fate of the animals needs more intervention. My concern is it may, as a side effect, bring more eyes and scrutiny on any animal industry that is not main stream like dogs, cats, and horses. All we need is someone with agenda, proficiency in technology and social media, plus deep pockets, to start that snowball rolling down hill. Remember, news doesn't have to be accurate, it only needs to grab attention enough for it to take on a life of its own. These are the times we live in.
    Ah, very good point.

I haven't watched the "Tiger King". I literally just cancelled Netflix last month (NOTHING good on there except "Shameless"). But I have heard some mixed reviews. Most of which are similar to what you've heard, crappy people exploiting animals.

Thanks

International ban on BP trade

The pet trade, regardless of whether it's an "exotic" pet or not, can be and sometimes is a nasty business; just like any other type of business, there will always be rotting apples in the bunch. It's identical to those who basically run vile and crowded puppy mills out of their own houses despite there being over 800 million dogs on the planet and at least 30% of those need homes. Bad apples all over.

People and alternative news sources alike love to rag on the herp community for.. Well, everything. But more specifically, they talk a lot about "big pet trade" and neglect to acknowledge that there are thousands of breeders worldwide that put a lot of time, and care into their husbandry and do really aim to satisfy both the customer and their reptiles alike. Not to mention that, obviously, a lot are captive bred and likely have been for a couple generations at minimum.

There are some things I would have gone my entire life without knowing had I not joined forums and handled snakes myself- these people have probably no experience with snakes, reptiles, and amphibians, yet have the audacity to diss an entire community of people who enjoy nothing more than to see their animals happy.

And then they watch shows like Tiger King, which just brings more attention to the people who are actually committing crimes against animals. Joe Exotic's park was completely full when they were cleared to open after quarantine and if that doesnt tell you how imbecilic people are then I'm not sure what would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by olivv; 09-20-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by olivv View Post

People and alternative news sources alike love to rag on the herp community for.. Well, everything. But more specifically, they talk a lot about "big pet trade" and neglect to acknowledge that there are thousands of breeders worldwide that put a lot of time, and care into their husbandry and do really aim to satisfy both the customer and their reptiles alike. Not to mention that, obviously, a lot are captive bred and likely have been for a couple generations at minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think sometimes this has a lot to do with the communities people have access to as well. For example, if you asked your every day person if they can name a forum website, I think MOST people would bring up Reddit, which is where I left to come here. If you jump in any of the pet keeping subs over there you'll find the most toxic, argumentative, know-it-all bullies on the internet. So if you're an animal rights person, and want to find a bad guy, that's your place to go. No one wants to look at the smaller .net BP forum that has taught me more in a couple of weeks than Reddit taught me in 8 years of being there.

Joe Exotic and the Tiger King documentary is a great example too. Netflix didn't make a documentary about a true conservation facility that's doing good work, because it wouldn't have picked up the viewership that that garbage fire of a show did.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

olivv (09-21-2020)