Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,864

0 members and 2,864 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Humidity Struggles

So I have a couple of bp's in a rack (from CSerpents) and heating-wise it's great, but I have a problem with getting humidity up. I use Repti-Chip, and it's doing it's best, but I can't get it up to the 50% range for long. It mostly stays between 43-47% within the tubs. When I mist I can get it to the 55-60% range but it doesn't last more than a couple of hours before the Repti-Chip dries out. And unfortunately, the room they're in is the most humid area in the house...but it's normally between 16-25%. Ambient temperature stays between 79-82 degrees F in the room though, and the rack maintains 90 degree hot side and 80-ish degree cool side. I even have the water bowls closer to the warm end, and even that is struggling. They’re wide bowls too, meant for dogs!

I don't want to cause any stress/potential molding issues with more than once daily mistings as that's what I might have to do, unless there's anyone with a similar issue that has any advice? I'm new to using racks, so it is a bit of a stress on me until I'm able to solve this. Or would it be a better investment to buy a humidifier for the room in general? If so, what do I set it at so it won’t get TOO humid for the tubs?

Thanks in advance! 😁

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Have you tried Reptile Prime? it holds humidity better than anything I've ever used. I also use Reptichip and it does fine for me, but the Reptile Prime holds the humidity better in my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Humidity Struggles

How much do you soak the reptichip initially? Could be a factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    If your worried about shedding issues you could always make a humid hide to set inside the enclosure, or just permanently leave a humid hide in the enclosure and let the snake decide if it wants a more humid atmosphere.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Have you added any holes to the c-serpent racks or are they as they arrived?

The reason I ask is they look as though they have the minimal ventilation on their we site which I would have hoped maintained humidity well.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Sorry for the late responses, I went to sleep shortly after asking

I didn't add any holes in the tubs, the rack is completely unaltered...

I haven't tried Reptile Prime yet, might need to give it a shot if it's better with humidity.

How much do I soak the Repti-Chip? I buy their big block and fill up the bag with water, wait 10 minutes, and then the block disolves into the tub I want it in. Like in their video on how to do 10 blocks in 10 minutes...but with just one of them lol (reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukcauco_YZA )

I never thought of the humid hide, what do you recommend on how I should do it in a rack? Any good guides to follow?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hi I am Snek View Post
    Sorry for the late responses, I went to sleep shortly after asking

I didn't add any holes in the tubs, the rack is completely unaltered...

I haven't tried Reptile Prime yet, might need to give it a shot if it's better with humidity.

How much do I soak the Repti-Chip? I buy their big block and fill up the bag with water, wait 10 minutes, and then the block disolves into the tub I want it in. Like in their video on how to do 10 blocks in 10 minutes...but with just one of them lol (reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukcauco_YZA )

I never thought of the humid hide, what do you recommend on how I should do it in a rack? Any good guides to follow?
    As far as soaking Reptichip. I only have a few enclosures so I'm not preparing whole blocks at a time. I just break as much as I need off the block and put it in a 5 gallon bucket and add water and mix it up. I add enough so it's moist without being "wet", if that makes any sense. It holds the moisture for days. You much have a very dry room if it's lasting for just a few hours. You could also try a larger water bowl. That def adds humidity.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-25-2020)

Thanks
    The water bowls I have in their tubs now are pretty big, they’re meant for dogs. It’s pretty frustrating, tbh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hi I am Snek View Post
    The water bowls I have in their tubs now are pretty big, they’re meant for dogs. It’s pretty frustrating, tbh.
    What is the humidity in the room?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    What is the humidity in the room?
    When I left for work today, it was 23% in the room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast