Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 502

1 members and 501 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

20g long or 40g long tank for adult gargoyle gecko???

Hi, would a 20g long work for a gargoyle gecko? I'm looking into getting a young gecko first and was curious if anyone has successfully uses long tanks as adults. Also wondering if a 40g would be better for the extra height.

Thanks

Re: 20g long or 40g long tank for adult gargoyle gecko???

you really want a taller enclosure. a company makes adapters to turn fish tanks into exoterra like enclosures.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SilentHill For This Useful Post:

Kamryn (03-27-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Either would work but need to be turned sideway and fitted to that effect there are kits out there to do so.

I like a minimum of 18x18x24 for gangs they will use the space and it will give you enough room to have some nice climbing structures and plants.

And I will second exoterra or zoomed terrariums they will make your life a lot easier.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Kamryn (03-27-2020)

Thanks
    I've been looking at exos and it seems that would hold humidity better. When I had ball pythons, my first one was in a 20g tank. I noticed his enclosure would dry out fairly quick. I assume regular tanks wouldn't be the best idea in terms on height and humidity. Based on pictures, would a 20g on it's side even be as tall as the 18x18x24? I know 20gs are about 24" long so would that be an equivalent height on it's side? Been trying to get an idea on the size of exos in person since I haven't actually seen one yet. May even go for a larger exo eventually as well.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kamryn View Post
    I've been looking at exos and it seems that would hold humidity better. When I had ball pythons, my first one was in a 20g tank. I noticed his enclosure would dry out fairly quick. I assume regular tanks wouldn't be the best idea in terms on height and humidity. Based on pictures, would a 20g on it's side even be as tall as the 18x18x24? I know 20gs are about 24" long so would that be an equivalent height on it's side? Been trying to get an idea on the size of exos in person since I haven't actually seen one yet. May even go for a larger exo eventually as well.
    Fish tank dimensions can be found here it will depend on the manufacturer as well http://aquariumdimensions.com/

Now there are big advantages on having an exo-terra, zoo-med, or zilla terrarium and it is a screen top allowing you to have a dome with a light for daytime viewing or a grow light if you chose to go bioactive, and of course the front opening, if you get a conversion kit https://www.neherpetoculture.com/vertkits you will get the front opening but obviously will not have a top screen.

This is what you are looking at with moderately furnished cages (climbing structures and plants), those are 18x18x24 with a 18x18x36 in the middle.

Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-27-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Kamryn (03-27-2020)

Thanks
    Those look really nice and lots of space. I also didn't know about the 18x18x36. Is that also a exo?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kamryn View Post
    Those look really nice and lots of space. I also didn't know about the 18x18x36. Is that also a exo?
    The 18x18x36 is a zoo-med skyscraper, all bought at shows as pet stores prices are usually 50% higher.

Keep in mind smaller individual should be kept in smaller cages such as keeper critter, those are cages for larger animals and adults.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Kamryn (03-28-2020)