Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,450

2 members and 2,448 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Beautiful corn! Congrats!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Nick_MD (03-27-2020)

Thanks

Re: Sheila - Caramel Corn Snake

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's about what I figured. So depending on the width of her midsection (before being fed), I'd expect her to be eating 2 (mouse-) pinkies or 2 (mouse) fuzzies at a time-I'm not seeing her compared to the prey you have, but normal mouse pinks are pretty small & unlikely to be an adequate meal for her at this time. If that's all you have at this time, you can feed them off before sizing up. You want the prey to be roughly equal to (& not wider) than her un-fed mid-body. If you are feeding small pinks, you could feed 2 every 5-6 days, or (later) 3 once every 7 days. Just go by how she looks & digests...don't upsize too quickly but yeah, she's needing more food.
    Okay, glad I asked. The pinks in the bag of 50 I bought are mostly a slight bit larger than Sheila's midsection. They leave no noticeable bulge after she gets them down though. On the night she eats, she does tend to go re-investigating the spot she ate. I'm interpreting that as "I'm still hungry" behavior. If she was full, then I'd expect her to go hide for a couple days. I'll bump her up to 2 pinks on Sunday and see how she does.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post
    Okay, glad I asked. The pinks in the bag of 50 I bought are mostly a slight bit larger than Sheila's midsection. They leave no noticeable bulge after she gets them down though. On the night she eats, she does tend to go re-investigating the spot she ate. I'm interpreting that as "I'm still hungry" behavior. If she was full, then I'd expect her to go hide for a couple days. I'll bump her up to 2 pinks on Sunday and see how she does.
    One reason that snakes are so easy to over-feed (this is just a generic caution) is that they USUALLY act "still hungry" after they eat*, so you can't go by that...they stay in "feedmode" for hours to even more than a day, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea (ever!) to feed them more, separately from the original meal. So if & when you feed multiple prey items, you need to do them at the same time, back to back...otherwise, adding more later can mess up their digestion & cause them to regurgitate all they've eaten, so don't ever risk that. (not saying you would have, just a good time to give you a bit more info)

*It's not unlike humans who, after eating a huge meal, still go looking for dessert!

Pinkies digest very fast...as prey gets larger, it has more hair & larger bones & takes progressively longer to digest, but even if your snake looks pretty full with 2 pinks, it's most likely not going to cause a problem, as long as you don't handle the snake after feeding. (pretty sure you know that too?) But from what you say (you still didn't share how LONG she is???) I'd go ahead & try 2 pinks next feeding. The reason I ask about snake length is that in a snake's body all their
    organs are proportionally longer & narrow, so by seeing a snake or knowing their length, I can better suggest how much food she can comfortably hold; pinkies are roughly an inch long.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-25-2020 at 02:05 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    She is roughly 17 inches or 43 cm.

Thanks

She is roughly 17 inches or 43 cm.
    She should easily be able to consume 2 pinkies at a time, then after you do that a few times, go to one pinkie + one small fuzzie for a while, then after that you'll progress to 2 small fuzzies, etc. Can't tell you exactly how long at each level...up to you to be observant, but that's what I'd do. She'll start growing faster as she consumes the slightly older prey. You'll want to stop doubling when she's old enough (or rather BIG enough) to eat a hopper...that will be harder to digest. OK?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-25-2020 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    She should easily be able to consume 2 pinkies at a time, then after you do that a few times, go to one pinkie + one small fuzzie for a while, then after that you'll progress to 2 small fuzzies, etc. Can't tell you exactly how long at each level...up to you to be observant, but that's what I'd do. She'll start growing faster as she consumes the slightly older prey. You'll want to stop doubling when she's old enough (or rather BIG enough) to eat a hopper...that will be harder to digest. OK?
    Got it. Can I do all of that on a consistent 7 day basis?

Thanks

Teeny baby! Very cute.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

Thanks

Got it. Can I do all of that on a consistent 7 day basis?
    I don't know, it depends on your snake & how fast she digests, which also depends on temperatures in her cage & your house (but don't over-heat a corn snake to make them digest faster)...best I can do is say "maybe or probably". Like all snakes, corn snakes thermo-regulate but some snakes prefer to hang out on the cool side more than others.

I assume the rigid schedule is for your convenience (?) since snakes sure don't need fed at exact intervals...it doesn't happen in nature. It doesn't take very long to feed a snake either, & personally, I'm pretty flexible & feed when my snakes are acting hungry, & I think you'll know too. (Shed cycles tend to destroy the schedules too, lol.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-26-2020 at 01:19 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Nick_MD (03-27-2020)

Thanks
    Yes, the 7-day thing is totally for our convenience of a Sunday and so we remember after the novelty of a new pet has worn off. That said, it shouldn't be a problem as I'm making my son keep a chart updated with feeding, shedding, and cleaning schedules. So...we're flexible. As you said, it's a fairly quick process and there's only 1 snake at the moment.

Thus far with the winter ambient temps being ~73, she has seemed to prefer the hide above the UTH which I dialed down to a max of 85 after advice on these forums. I'm predicting she'll enjoy the cool side once the weather warms up and the ambient temps go up to ~79-80. She comes out to cruise and climb every night after the lights in the room are turned low. She goes back to her hide after an hour or so.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick_MD For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

Congratulations on the new corn!
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Nick_MD (03-27-2020)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast