Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 603

1 members and 602 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

MarkJeyFry (29)

» Stats

Members: 75,060
Threads: 248,513
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Jaseon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hissing

Thanks

Hissing

We cleaned Lilith’s enclosure last night. She hadn’t pooped in about 6 weeks. This morning, I noticed that her enclosure was extremely humid (99%). Sure enough, she had pooped and released a lot of water. As I removed her from her enclosure to clean up, she hissed. When I tried to take her out of her temporary enclosure to put her back, she hissed again. She has never hissed before! So, I left her in her temporary enclosure for now (locking Rubbermaid with holes drilled in). I think she may have been sleeping and is just grouchy, as we usually interact with her in the evenings, not mid-morning.

When do your ball pythons usually hiss? Do you leave them alone when they do?

Thanks
    Another thing. She hasn’t shed since December 6. She’s 3 years old, so an adult, but she might be getting ready to shed again soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,760 Times in 11,811 Posts
    I'm just guessing here...but since hissing is apparently something unusual for your snake, it might be that she had a hard time passing some urate 'stones' with her
    long overdue defecation...so it just might be that her cloaca is a bit sore. I'd hiss too, I'm pretty sure. Most snakes hiss when they're not expecting or wanting
    any interruption & interaction, which...let's be honest, doesn't happen in "nature"- they're solitary most of the time.

My most impressive hisser was a large BCI that I used to have: she was cuddly & liked to be out of her enclosure (she was sometimes quite a challenge to put back in!)
    but every now & then when I wanted to take her out, she'd hiss up a storm. That was her only way of saying "I don't feel like being disturbed", but usually it wasn't an
    option, I was trying to clean, so no, I didn't leave her alone. She was always in a coil, & despite her loud hissing, all I did was just gently pet her coils (not in her face!)
    until she calmed down, which she always did. It was almost like she "forgot she knew me" & had to be reminded that she was safe with me. Never once did she spin
    around to try to bite me when I pet her, & after a few minutes, I'd just lift her out & cuddle her as always. I actually never had one bite from her in all the years...

So no, I don't personally take a hiss as a "deal-breaker" but it's up to you & whatever kind of snake you're dealing with. I'm sure there ARE snakes that will bite after
    hissing, & only you know your pet, but BPs are generally placid snakes.

And that's another reason snakes hiss: they know before we can see any evidence that a shed cycle is coming, so maybe it's just that.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-07-2020 at 01:00 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Hissing

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmida View Post
    When do your ball pythons usually hiss? Do you leave them alone when they do?
    My ball pythons hiss at me all the time-it is their way of telling me that they are not happy with being disturbed. I don't blame them...and I pretty much ignore them as they are nearly defenseless. The only time I have to worry is if they hiss and coil backwards with their head pointing directly at my hand as I go to pick them up (small possibility of getting a defensive strike/bluff), or if they are guarding eggs--in which case I will use something as a shield blocking their face until I uncoil them.
    *.* TNTC

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    My BPs almost never hiss, but my Borneo STP does all the time. I just give a gentle pat and prove I'm not a threat. After a second or two I can pick them up no problem. As long as you're gentle you'll be fine.

I would just assume this to be an isolated incident and not sweat it. If the behavior keeps up it will be worth trying to troubleshoot and determine why she's hissing. But unless it keeps up I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies!

It sounds like there is some variation in hissing behaviour. We have had Lilith for nearly half a year now, and I’m still learning things. I didn’t get the sense that she would strike, but I had my 8-year-old son with me (he’s the real herpetophile - is that a word? - in our house, and I don’t trust him not to move unexpectedly and elicit a defensive strike. I’ll put her back in her nice, clean enclosure when I can do so alone. I’ll just chalk the hissing up to grumpiness at being disturbed when she didn’t want to be and keep my eyes open for a possible shed.

Thanks
    Found out what the issue was - she hadn't finished pooping! That certainly explains things. She seems much happier now.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Myrmida For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-21-2020),CALM Pythons (03-11-2020),Craiga 01453 (03-08-2020),GoingPostal (03-11-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmida View Post
    Found out what the issue was - she hadn't finished pooping! That certainly explains things. She seems much happier now.
    Ha! That explains it

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Interesting... in all my years and all my Royals... I’ve never EVER heard one hiss !!

They must be more reserved over here in the uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-10-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post

They must be more reserved over here in the uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast