Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,851

1 members and 2,850 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Anyone else use Inkbird thermostat? Need help with this POS

I have to admit that I am almost at my wits end with the d@mn thing. Not only were the instructions written backwards and in Greek (figuratively, not literally) but the thing is barely functional. The sensor literally takes HOURS to sense an increase in temperature. Currently sitting directly under the CHE, where it has been for 7 FREAKING HOURS it still says that it's only 85 degrees. The Accurite sensor, sitting 1 inch from it, is registering at 90, and has been for 6 hours and 45 minutes. It has Slowly inched up from where it was originally showing 74 degrees (this was the reading after doing a full clean/substrate change today), and it has taken this long for it to get up to 85 degrees, when it is actually closer to 90-91 degrees in there. It's MADDENING. There is no reason for it to take so long to true up the temperature! And now I am worried that if there ever is a temp spike, it will take the thermostat 8 blessed hours to realize it and turn off the CHE.

Does anyone else use this brand and/or have this issue? I am on the verge of returning the stupid thing and just ordering some jumpstarts.

Thanks
    Sounds like you got a defective unit, I would return it. Before I switched to Herpstat 2, I used an Inkbird thermostat for my CHE and a Jumpstart thermostat for my UTH. I never had any problems with the Inkbird's temperature detection, it would sense changes at the same rate as any of my other thermometers and thermostats. I did eventually replace it with a second Jumpstart thermostat however because my Inkbird produced a subtle, high-pitched buzz that was driving me crazy as I keep my BP in my bedroom.

If you have the funds for it, I would recommend switching to a Herpstat or VE series thermostat. They are pricey, but 100% worth saving up for. Cheaper thermostats are known to fail within 1-2 years and have no safety features that can save your snake's life if there is an error or internal thermostat failure. Herpstats and VE thermostats are super sturdy, equipped with all the safety features you could ever need, and they last for decades.

Thanks

Re: Anyone else use Inkbird thermostat? Need help with this POS

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Sounds like you got a defective unit, I would return it. Before I switched to Herpstat 2, I used an Inkbird thermostat for my CHE and a Jumpstart thermostat for my UTH. I never had any problems with the Inkbird's temperature detection, it would sense changes at the same rate as any of my other thermometers and thermostats. I did eventually replace it with a second Jumpstart thermostat however because my Inkbird produced a subtle, high-pitched buzz that was driving me crazy as I keep my BP in my bedroom.

If you have the funds for it, I would recommend switching to a Herpstat or VE series thermostat. They are pricey, but 100% worth saving up for. Cheaper thermostats are known to fail within 1-2 years and have no safety features that can save your snake's life if there is an error or internal thermostat failure. Herpstats and VE thermostats are super sturdy, equipped with all the safety features you could ever need, and they last for decades.

Thankfully I had ordered a second temp sensor for it because I had intended to plug the heat mat into the same unit. But now what I'll do is replace the sensor I am using now to see if that solves the issue. If not then I will return it and get something else. I think I won't have a choice but to do the cheaper Jumpstart for now if I do have to replace the Inkbird. With everything going on with the corona virus and lockdowns my income is shakey at best right now. I'd rather spend a fraction on something that will work if only for a year or two rather than dedicate an extra hundred dollars or more to the thermostat and then find myself unable to feed my daughter next month. So scary that it's even come to that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MamaRhea View Post
    Thankfully I had ordered a second temp sensor for it because I had intended to plug the heat mat into the same unit. But now what I'll do is replace the sensor I am using now to see if that solves the issue. If not then I will return it and get something else. I think I won't have a choice but to do the cheaper Jumpstart for now if I do have to replace the Inkbird. With everything going on with the corona virus and lockdowns my income is shakey at best right now. I'd rather spend a fraction on something that will work if only for a year or two rather than dedicate an extra hundred dollars or more to the thermostat and then find myself unable to feed my daughter next month. So scary that it's even come to that.
    I have two extra of these: https://www.amazon.com/Century-Therm.../dp/B01I15S6OM

Let me know if you want one. I will send it to you for free.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    I have two extra of these: https://www.amazon.com/Century-Therm.../dp/B01I15S6OM

Let me know if you want one. I will send it to you for free.
    That is so incredibly sweet of you to offer! I'll definitely let you know if I need to take you up on that. I am still tinkering with and hoping to figure out what's wrong. It was working just fine before I did the substrate change, and I didn't even touch the thermostat during that process except to remove the sensor from the enclosure, and then put it back when I was done. Thankfully I have been home this entire week so I have been able to keep an eye on the temps rather than relying on the thermostat.