Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 471

2 members and 469 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: New blood on the 1st.

The first day I put the substrate in there it was moist but I let it dry out some. I do try to keep some moisture in there and she has access to water. She hides most of the time and I have spend a few minuets a day handling her some but I leave her alone for the most part. She is doing well with handling but gets stressed if I hold her to long right now so keeping it short. 2 to 3 minuets at a time. She is awesome and calm for a blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I was under the impression that bloods needed to be kept in dry substrate. Isn't that the case?

Btw nice looking snake. I would get one too but they are just too chunky for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteV View Post
    I don't keep mine on dry substrate. I don't keep them wet either. I use a mixture of coco fiber and cyprus, and am also trying out coco chip now. The coco chip does dry out on top, but holds humidity, and stays moist underneath the top layer. All the research I did before getting into them tells me that all are kept basically the same way. Richard Crowley's book(which is a must have short-tail/blood keepers imo), and The Blood Cell to name a couple sources. In the book, he talks about the existence of naturally occurring hybrids between the Sumatran Shortail and the Sumatran Blood pythons because their territories overlap. A Blood python(brongersmai) can come from Sumatra, which might be why the OP was told his was Sumatran. This is not my opinion, nor am I any kind of expert, but this info comes from people that have spent decades keeping, researching , and breeding them.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

PeteV (04-27-2020),richardhind1972 (04-27-2020)

Thanks
    Very nice wee blood congats
    There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Thanks
    That is not a sumatran. It is either a borneo or a blood, sumatrans are much darker in color.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123