Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,085

0 members and 2,085 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User HelicopterPilot's Avatar
    Thanks

Really Thinking about getting a Crestie

I have been looking for an alternate herp instead of a snake.

I have found the Crested Gecko. This is a herp my mom actually approves which is a HUGE breakthrough for me.

Here is what I have so far.

Temp-Mid 60s to 78 degrees. Very important from what I have read that the temperature does not go over 82 degrees.

Humidity- I haven't found a exact humidty ,but I have read that misting 1-4 times a day (depending on humidity of your area) works. Any numbers out there on humidity. I am guessing some where around 70%-80%.

Diet-T-Rex Crested Gecko diet works well from what I have read. Mix 1 part CRD and 2 parts water. Let it sit and it should gell up. Offer food 3-5 times a week

Handling- Be careful of tails falling off. Use a hand in front of hand motion. If they are going to leap give them a landing pad (you hand)

Cage-Tall aboreal cages work well. What are good dimensions for Baby/ Juvie and what are good dimensions for Adult

Ventilation-Lots of ventilation needed

So please point out anything I have missed.

I really hope to get some Cresties!
    Crested Gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus) 0.0.2

Both too young to sex yet. Names:Geico and Ratchet

Thanks

Re: Really Thinking about getting a Crestie

Looks good. They like things to climb on.. egg crates work great. I give mine a little dish of calcium powder to eat at will.. and I feed insects/baby food. They like bugs, even with CGD it's nice to offer once in awhile. I try to feed 6x a week.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

So 4-6 times is good for them?

I guess I will give them bugs every once awhile. I also read that they accept fresh fruit such as peaches, apricots , and other soft fruits.

I also have some questions as to how to handle a Crestie? Like how do you approach them and pick them up to handle them. Basically what can you do to avoid them from detaching their tail.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries

in case you haven't already make sure to check out this caresheet: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ewarticle&id=6.

as far as humidity, 60-70% is good.

you don't have to offer insects but mine really enjoy crickets and they are good protein so i do offer them along with cgd. any mashed fresh fruit is good except for anything citrus. citrus fruits have too much ascorbic acid which is not good for cresteds.

i feed on a schedule something like this:
    monday: cgd
    tuesday: leftover cgd still in cage from monday
    wednesday: crickets
    thursday: no food
    friday: cgd
    saturday: leftover cgd from friday
    sunday: crickets or no food

as long as the cgd doesn't get moldy you can leave it in the enclosure for 48 hours.

cresteds are pretty tough little guys but jumpy. i pick mine up either by scooping under them, chin first and nudging them into my hand, or by grabbing them kind of under the arm pits and lifting them up. just don't grab them by the tail and you'll be fine.
    - Emily

Thanks

Okay thanks! I came up with a feeding schedule like this
    Monday:CGD
    Tuesday: Whatever is leftover (BTW how much do you put in on Monday becuase if I put in a ton there obviously will be leftovers and vise versa)

Wednesday:Fruit Day!
    Thursday: No food
    Friday:cgd
    saturday:leftovers
    sunday:some fruit or maybe crickets.

Basically the same schedule ,but with fruit. Also how do you go about being away from you Cresties?

Also is the tail thing really as bad as I have heard. Do you have to grab the tail for it to come off?

BTW- I found a nice site that will ship a unsexed (too young) crestie to my house for 62 dollars. You get to pick exactly which you get aswell!

Oh and the 62 dollars includes shipping and taxes.($50-Gecko,$7-Shipping,$5-tax)

Do you need to have plants in the cage? I was thinking of using dowels to climb on ,but I was wondering if they need plantation.

Thanks for everything so far. I am very excited that I may finally get a herp!

Thanks

If your going to use CGD you might as well use it exclusively with crickets. There real no need for baby food or fruit. I used dowels for my guys and its fine. I also just wrapped a couple fake vines around the dowels and it works well. Have you looked around for local breeders or good petstores. A breeder is the best way to go if possible.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

baby food isn't good for crested geckos because it contains a lot of sugar but fresh fruit is great for them and many really like it. fruit in conjunction with cgd is a very good diet. your plan looks good, i would just say that if you don't do fruit on wednesday for whatever reason go ahead and give cgd that day. you will have to experiment a little to see how much your gecko will eat. a very young gecko won't eat much while an adult can eat a pretty good amount. start out with about 1/2 teaspoon per feeding and see how that goes. if it dries up too fast you can make more than that or add a bit of plain fat free yogurt in place of some of the water.

you don't have to have plants but you need enough for them to climb on and hide in. i use fake plants in most of my enclosures along with eggcrates, and bamboo perches. i also put a paper towel roll on the bottom of adult enclosures as they seem to really like to hide in those.

i'd be careful getting a gecko shipped to you if the cost is only $7. generally shipping costs more in the range of $30-60. make absolutely sure that you get overnight delivery. the gecko should be shipped in an insulated box with heat packs in it. ups or fed ex is the carrier that should be used. i would advise that you ask a lot of questions about the shipping method, and be VERY wary if they tell you that they ship via usps.
    - Emily

Thanks

The reason the shipping is 7 dollars is that the person is very near me ( We are both in Cali) and that they only need ground shipping. They also will only ship if the temps in both cities are 40-85 for saftey of Herps. Here is the website. http://www.reptiledepot.com/

Thanks

Man I can't edit. Anywho I checked and shipping is 30 bucks. 7 dollars was for item shipping, not animals.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

good deal. i have purchased supplies and things from reptile depot before but never animals, although someone recommended them to me once for red eyed tree frogs. did you pick one of the cresteds from their site?
    - Emily

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast