Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 542

0 members and 542 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,840 Times in 4,770 Posts

What Being a Veterinarian Really Takes

Not specifically herp-related but something to keep in mind when dealing with your vet.

Last edited by bcr229; 03-14-2020 at 05:27 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-14-2020),Reinz (03-14-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Woo, that's a powerful talk she gave...thanks for sharing it, so will I.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Reinz (03-14-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I had no idea.....
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Pet people are crazy protective and defensive when it comes to the medical care of their animals. You ever try to tell another dog owner that their dog is fat? The response usually range from laughing it off and ignoring the issue to getting upset and how dare you criticize their care.

When I arrive on time for the appointment and I sat in the waiting room 30 min after, I don't get upset. I assume they have an emergency or the vet is finishing up because the previous client was late or taking up his or her time. You know, if you expect to wait at your MD visit, why not at the vet.

When I get the bill, I would review it and pay it, even though at times I wished that the vet had discussed the cost of the treatment before I approved it. I blame myself for not asking for an estimate, and usually most vets provide estimates without request, so it is fine. I understand it is a business, they got overhead and payroll.

When I had a cat that was obstructed and couldn't pee (like what the vet in the video described), I was told it will cost over $800 to fix it with the high possibility of the problem returning, which it did at least 2 more times. And each time, I agreed without question, pulled out my credit card and I can almost see the vet sigh in relief so they don't have to discuss the 'other option.'

Unfortunately, from what staff had told me, or being a witness of it myself, too many pet owners are not like that. Somehow, these clients feel entitled that their time is more important than anyone else; they should not have to pay for treatment that requires effort, experience and time from the staff and the use of the expensive, leased machines; the vet is expected to be a magic worker after you neglected your pet to the point of grave illness; and that every vet should somehow be obligated to be charitable just because the owner prefer to spend $500 on the new iphone than to save for a rainy day.

When the owner can't afford the care, another option is to dump it in front of a rescue or shelter. They can't or won't pay the nominal euthanasia fee and watch their pet die, so let the rescue and shelter people suffer on their behalf. Kind people donate to rescues who may save this poor animal from death and adopt it out. Open admission shelter may not have the funds or space so regardless of the severity of the illness, it may get put down unless a rescue swoops in but they too are overwhelmed by dogs and cats dumped like this one. Many times there are not enough funds as the majority are small foster networks, so the volunteers or founder will end up going into debt paying to fix the animal that the owner should have gone to debt for.

While I have met at least 2 vets in my life that appear to have placed money before the animal's wellbeing, most vets are not like that. Money is a conversation that they don't want to have. Do your own research, find a vet you can trust and work with, and take care of your pet's physical and mental wellbeing. If you don't like your vet, it is okay to get a second or even third opinion. But what is not acceptable is to bully and harass them.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-15-2020),Bogertophis (03-15-2020),Turningstar (03-15-2020),vivi (04-14-2020)