Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,043

3 members and 3,040 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Thread: BP not feeding

Thanks

BP not feeding

My BP hasn't eaten for 1.5 months due to RI. But has already taken 2 shots from the vet and 3rd tom.

So I whacked a mice on the wall and force fed her. It took me around 40 minutes to feed her. I've read that some spill their guts or bleed them to make it easier for the BP to eat them, do you guys do this?

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Re: My ball python won t eat - My BP is stressed - hatchling 101

Quote Originally Posted by xeth View Post
    My BP hasn't eaten for 1.5 months due to RI. But has already taken 2 shots from the vet and 3rd tom.

So I whacked a mice on the wall and force fed her. It took me around 40 minutes to feed her. I've read that some spill their guts or bleed them to make it easier for the BP to eat them, do you guys do this?
    Feeding puts a huge workload on their bodies and they usually don't want to eat while ill. Force feeding is extremely stressful and likely did more harm than good, especially taking that long. Is she that underweight that she can't miss some meals? Balls are fully capable of eating mice as is, there's no need to open them up.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-13-2020),Gio (03-13-2020),jmcrook (03-13-2020),PitOnTheProwl (03-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    I missed the age of the snake.

As already stated, feeding is not likely to help the situation. I see you only have one post here, and unfortunately I can't determine if you are a newer keeper or not. If your snake hasn't lost, or isn't visibly losing weight, there is no need for concern. Force feeding was probably the worst thing you could have done while your snake is still taking meds.

The royal python is known for going off feed for extended periods, sometimes a year can go by. These animals are able to self regulate their food intake and do it with great success. It is one reason they are one of the longest lived snake species.

It is very likely your snake has ceased feeding due to the illness and the antibiotics being administered. Its system is healing and playing catchup. Unless the animal was at a compromised weight prior to the illness there is no reason to worry.

Postal touched on the subject, and I agree, that feeding stresses the system, and isn't recommended.

You should recheck all of the husbandry, and let the snake recuperate on its own time. Handling should only be attempted to check the body and for cage cleanup.

Leave the snake alone at this point. Stress will weaken the system and could kill it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-13-2020),jmcrook (03-13-2020)