Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,816

0 members and 2,816 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help

Thanks

help

my bearded dragon has been doing odd breathing for a bit now and I'm super worried (she eats well and isnt lethargic at all)

heres a short video of her breathing - >

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I've seen dragons do that before, but sorry, not sure what it means, if anything. What has she been eating? Could anything be stuck in
    her throat (it seems like a "deep breath" to me), I'd try encouraging her to drink water (drips maybe?) or see if she'll eat a favorite item?

If she continues to do this, I'd call a vet & ask about it, maybe get her checked out. (She reminds me of someone trying to burp...?)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-11-2020 at 11:22 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: help

HI, i tend to seed her worms and pellets that have vitamins and give her fruit when able (recently she had strawberries) she seems to do it when she gets worked up (after a bath for example) and sometimes she even makes a noise when she does it and open her mouth. It just so weird cause she is healthy other than this ):

Thanks
    I've had a bearded dragon in the past: I took him in as an emergency rescue & he was near death*, but I pulled him thru. I seem to recall him doing the same thing,
    once in a while, but not often, & incidentally, that was some time after he made a full recovery with me. I hope someone with more beardie experience can enlighten
    us both as to why they do this. Maybe they really are trying to burp, lol...they might be gulping down air when they eat.

*I'm primarily a snake keeper, but I've had geckos & a few other lizards too. I took in that beardie because his owner was going to dump him outside (illegal!) if I
    didn't- he was starving & totally constipated because his owner fed him only crickets, & kept him on wood shavings, some of which he ate. Soaking him in luke-warm
    water in my bathtub (my idea), & dosing him orally w/ mineral oil (vet's idea) finally got him all cleaned out, then he ate like crazy & grew. (he was half-grown when I
    took him in) They're such personable creatures, but rather high maintenance (compared to snakes, anyway). He was so cuddly...is yours like that too? That's the only
    one I've known.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've had a bearded dragon in the past: I took him in as an emergency rescue & he was near death*, but I pulled him thru. I seem to recall him doing the same thing,
    once in a while, but not often, & incidentally, that was some time after he made a full recovery with me. I hope someone with more beardie experience can enlighten
    us both as to why they do this. Maybe they really are trying to burp, lol...they might be gulping down air when they eat.

*I'm primarily a snake keeper, but I've had geckos & a few other lizards too. I took in that beardie because his owner was going to dump him outside (illegal!) if I
    didn't- he was starving & totally constipated because his owner fed him only crickets, & kept him on wood shavings, some of which he ate. Soaking him in luke-warm
    water in my bathtub (my idea), & dosing him orally w/ mineral oil (vet's idea) finally got him all cleaned out, then he ate like crazy & grew. (he was half-grown when I
    took him in) They're such personable creatures, but rather high maintenance (compared to snakes, anyway). He was so cuddly...is yours like that too? That's the only
    one I've known.
    Hi, she actually is a bit sassy and always has been haha, she is around 6 years old, i did a week of washing her once a day and now im trying to keep up with once a week.

Thanks

I've seen dragons do that before, but sorry, not sure what it means, if anything. What has she been eating? Could anything be stuck in
    her throat (it seems like a "deep breath" to me), I'd try encouraging her to drink water (drips maybe?) or see if she'll eat a favorite item?

If she continues to do this, I'd call a vet & ask about it, maybe get her checked out. (She reminds me of someone trying to burp...?)
    (accidentally didnt quote you correctly)

HI, i tend to seed her worms and pellets that have vitamins and give her fruit when able (recently she had strawberries) she seems to do it when she gets worked up (after a bath for example) and sometimes she even makes a noise when she does it and open her mouth. It just so weird cause she is healthy other than this ):

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonebi View Post
    ... i did a week of washing her once a day and now im trying to keep up with once a week.
    Why all the "washing"? Maybe she's accidentally inhaled some water & that's why she's doing this?

I only soaked that beardie while he was constipated...it helped hydrate him & he did some massive dumps while IN the water on successive days, so it really helped. At the timeit also obviously made him feel a bit better. He was lucky that the wood shavings didn't perforate his gut, & all came out. (large crickets have those big un-digestible back legs-combined with wood shavings, he was in a world of hurt when I got him) I can see washing them off if they run thru their feces & actually need it, but just wondering?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-12-2020 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks

Why all the "washing"? Maybe she's accidentally inhaled some water & that's why she's doing this?

I only soaked that beardie while he was constipated...it helped hydrate him & he did some massive dumps while IN the water on successive days, so it really helped. At the timeit also obviously made him feel a bit better. He was lucky that the wood shavings didn't perforate his gut, & all came out. (large crickets have those big un-digestible back legs-combined with wood shavings, he was in a world of hurt when I got him) I can see washing them off if they run thru their feces & actually need it, but just wondering?
    she had gunk in her eye and my father contacted a vet and showed pictures and the vet said to let her soak in water for about five minutes a day for a week, it did work as her eyes no longer get stuck closed and don’t get the weird liquid like gunk in them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonebi View Post
    she had gunk in her eye and my father contacted a vet and showed pictures and the vet said to let her soak in water for about five minutes a day for a week, it did work as her eyes no longer get stuck closed and don’t get the weird liquid like gunk in them.
    Sounds like an eye infection & I'm surprised that soaking her in water actually helped that. (I'd have expected antibiotic eye drops, actually)

Thanks

Sounds like an eye infection & I'm surprised that soaking her in water actually helped that. (I'd have expected antibiotic eye drops, actually)
    yeah I’m not sure why the vet said that :/ I’m hoping this time I can convince my father to let me take her to the vet but he never thinks anything I say is correct ((:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast