Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 486

10 members and 476 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 68,260
Threads: 242,759
Posts: 2,519,159
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Billy1222
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    BPnet Veteran Skyrivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2018
    Posts
    2,661
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,124 Posts

    Carpet cage build.

    A carpet python has been on my wish list for a while. Still is but thought I would start a cage build. 2 ft x 2 ft x 4 ft tall cage.

    2 shelf space and 2 bars and heat panel mounted on top. Keep in mind everything will be sealed up once finished.



    Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 03-11-2020 at 11:54 AM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (03-11-2020),richardhind1972 (03-11-2020)

  3. #2
    BPnet Veteran jmcrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-2016
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanks
    5,234
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Images: 13

    Re: Carpet cage build.

    Far too little floor space for an animal between 5-9. Much better off turning that on its side.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (03-11-2020),Gio (03-11-2020),MissterDog (03-11-2020)

  5. #3
    BPnet Veteran Craiga 01453's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    9,988
    Thanks
    13,323
    Thanked 9,888 Times in 4,897 Posts

    Re: Carpet cage build.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Far too little floor space for an animal between 5-9. Much better off turning that on its side.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1000% agree. 2 x 2 is way too small of a floor space.
    ...life is beautiful...

    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python - Cornell
    0.1 Bredli Python - Fernie
    1.0 Vanilla het Pied BP - Tyson
    1.0 Pastel Fader BP - Dembe
    1.0 Western Hognose - Cosmo
    1.0 Borneo Short Tail Python - Juice
    1.0 Anery Kenyan Sando Boa - Willow
    2.2 Ferrets - Baloo, Johnny & June and Chloe
    0.2 Cats - Simba & Nala

    1.0 California Kingsnake - Django (R.I.P. sweet boy)

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

    Gio (03-11-2020),jmcrook (03-11-2020),MissterDog (03-11-2020)

  7. #4
    BPnet Veteran MissterDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-21-2017
    Posts
    1,503
    Thanks
    4,063
    Thanked 2,000 Times in 897 Posts
    Quick question, will this be a temporary cage for a hatchling or permanent housing for an adult? If it's an adult, I agree with the others that the floorspace is too small.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (03-11-2020),jmcrook (03-11-2020)

  9. #5
    BPnet Senior Member Gio's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-28-2012
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,028
    Thanks
    5,435
    Thanked 4,729 Times in 2,322 Posts

    Re: Carpet cage build.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Far too little floor space for an animal between 5-9. Much better off turning that on its side.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love the ceiling space, but you need a minimum of 3' and preferably 4' of width IMO. Carpets are SEMI arboreal, not fully. My coastal (7+ feet) is on the floor more than my retic ever was. The retic was the most arboreal snake I've ever owned. The carpet does use all of her cage and the perches are very valuable for the species, but don't skimp on the floor space and set a carpet up the same way you would a fully arboreal species like a green tree python or emerald tree boa.

    It appears you are rather handy. You could add to the bottom of that cage so there is an area on the bottom that extends out to 4 feet and keep the height.

    I would love a 4 foot tall cage for my carpet and boa, so I do like your thought process when it comes to ceiling space.

    I'd set a carpet up similar to the way I'd set up a smaller retic or boa constrictor. They are all semi arboreal, carpets being more-so than boas from what I've seen, but the other half of semi arboreal is terrestrial and you have to have that for the carpet group.

    Check out the middle cage here. Its 4' wide X 2' x'2. She's perched here, but she uses the floor a lot as well.


  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

    Caitlin (03-12-2020),Craiga 01453 (03-11-2020),jmcrook (03-11-2020)

  11. #6
    BPnet Veteran Skyrivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2018
    Posts
    2,661
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,124 Posts

    Re: Carpet cage build.

    I figure the best way to respond to everyone at once.

    This would be a cage for a young to juvenile carpet? I guess building a 4 ft x 2 Ft x 4 ft version once the snake was older. I also agree that this would be great for a boa eventually. Ruby my BCI would be great in this enclosure but even she is a little large for this cage. Perhaps once the carpet is grown I would put a tree python in this enclosure or a BRB. If I get another BRB it will be an adult female. I put Ruby in the enclosure for a few minuets and she explored it and seamed to enjoy the climbing space and the dark shelf on top. She just needs more floor space like an adult carpet. It was difficult to get her out of it. LOL. I plan on building a few "enrichment" enclosures for my more active and aboral species over the next few weeks and soon start construction on a huge retic enclosure for Rainbow and Aurora.

    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

    As for design.... do you think it is to tall? Would they run the risks of falling? Is the heat being mounted on top ok as long as ambient temps are good and having the hot spot on top?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Far too little floor space for an animal between 5-9. Much better off turning that on its side.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    1000% agree. 2 x 2 is way too small of a floor space.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Quick question, will this be a temporary cage for a hatchling or permanent housing for an adult? If it's an adult, I agree with the others that the floorspace is too small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I love the ceiling space, but you need a minimum of 3' and preferably 4' of width IMO. Carpets are SEMI arboreal, not fully. My coastal (7+ feet) is on the floor more than my retic ever was. The retic was the most arboreal snake I've ever owned. The carpet does use all of her cage and the perches are very valuable for the species, but don't skimp on the floor space and set a carpet up the same way you would a fully arboreal species like a green tree python or emerald tree boa.

    It appears you are rather handy. You could add to the bottom of that cage so there is an area on the bottom that extends out to 4 feet and keep the height.

    I would love a 4 foot tall cage for my carpet and boa, so I do like your thought process when it comes to ceiling space.

    I'd set a carpet up similar to the way I'd set up a smaller retic or boa constrictor. They are all semi arboreal, carpets being more-so than boas from what I've seen, but the other half of semi arboreal is terrestrial and you have to have that for the carpet group.

    Check out the middle cage here. Its 4' wide X 2' x'2. She's perched here, but she uses the floor a lot as well.


  12. #7
    BPnet Veteran jmcrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-2016
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanks
    5,234
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Images: 13

    Re: Carpet cage build.

    Floor space is far too small for every animal you just mentioned aside from maybe a GTP.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

    Caitlin (03-12-2020),Craiga 01453 (03-12-2020)

  14. #8
    BPnet Veteran Skyrivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2018
    Posts
    2,661
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,124 Posts

    Re: Carpet cage build.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Floor space is far too small for every animal you just mentioned aside from maybe a GTP.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Thank you. Heavy modifications are in order I guess.

  15. #9
    BPnet Senior Member Gio's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-28-2012
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,028
    Thanks
    5,435
    Thanked 4,729 Times in 2,322 Posts

    Re: Carpet cage build.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Thank you. Heavy modifications are in order I guess.
    But you are good at building. I'm thinking you'll have a fix without too many issues.

    Like I said earlier, 4 feet tall is fantastic for carpets and boas.

  16. #10
    BPnet Veteran Skyrivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2018
    Posts
    2,661
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,124 Posts

    Re: Carpet cage build.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    But you are good at building. I'm thinking you'll have a fix without too many issues.

    Like I said earlier, 4 feet tall is fantastic for carpets and boas.
    Just more floor space. I can build almost anything so yes I will not have an issue expanding it or using for other purpose.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1