Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,822

1 members and 2,821 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Burmese python as a pet?

I currently have one ball python (which is about 3 feet long), and a bearded dragon, and this might sound a bit crazy, but I want to start getting into larger snakes. I know burms are usually classified as "intermediate" or "advanced" due to their large size, However, if I have the proper size enclosure and equipment, would a Burmese python make a good pet? Ive held a a friends Burm that was around (or a bit larger than) 15 feet and It was amazing! I would rather get a Burmese python than a boa, due to their amazing, and normally pretty nice personalities. Also, if I was to get into larger snakes, where would I get an enclosure? The largest enclosures I see available are around 10 feet, and if a Burmese can grow up to somewhere around 15, I would definitely want a bigger enclosure than that.
    I probably won't get It anytime soon (because of the fact that I need a permit, have a lot of money invested and a good bit more). So if anyone could answer that would be great! Have a blessed day!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,817 Times in 11,840 Posts
    A few questions (not that I need answers to, just for you to consider):

Are you renting where you live? or do you own your own place? Consider where you'll be living, even if local laws allow them, pets like these aren't usually welcomed
    by landlords.

When your snake gets huge, will you have reliable & snake-competent friends or family around to help you with it...because for safety, you need one or more others
    around for handling big constrictors. We don't want to read about you in the paper, because that's what gets more laws passed against keeping them.

Will your budget support not just the price of the snake & the giant enclosure, but also the food, the heat (thermostat etc) and money set aside for exotic vet bills.

Not all snakes have the same personality...what will happen if yours evolves differently than you planned for? That's an awful lot of snake, & not what I'd recommend
    as a pet, especially your first one that's that large.

You ask about where to get enclosures: many ppl build their own, or you could get "handyman" help? I'm sure others here may have more suggestions too...a BCI was
    more than big enough for me.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

aurum (03-05-2020),dakski (03-05-2020),Linseylou (03-05-2020),Reinz (03-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Burmese python as a pet?

I took the following from your "About Me" section of this site.

About Linseylou

Interests:I am starting to get into the reptile keeping hobby! My collection is down below!!My Collection:I have one albino Ball python, as well as a German giant bearded dragon!
    I used to have 4 Fowler’s Toads, but I had to let them go (they were wild caught) due to a sickness one already had and spread to the others! I am planning on getting a crestie in the new future, as well as a Leachie and Blue Tongue skink!

Look, I am not trying to be a downer, and some people literally started with Burmese Pythons, but it's probably a terrible idea to get one.

First of all, unless I am mistaken, you are new to the hobby. That's great and it's great to passionate and want to grow in the hobby. I did the same thing! I also started with a BP and a Bearded Dragon when I got serious in the hobby as an adult.

Secondly, the rule of thumb is over 8FT (certainly with constrictors) you need 2+ people to safely handle, feed, etc.

An 8ft female BI that's fed appropriately can be 15-25 pounds or more. They have an aggressive food response, but are manageable. That's still probably 10-20X the size of your BP, eating bigger food, pooping bigger messes, needing bigger tanks (but that can be bought), etc.

A Burmese Python at 10-15 feet is probably 80-250 pounds depending on age, sex, feeding regiment, etc. That's at least a two person job.

As Bogertophis addressed the living situation, long term, that's one consideration. However, there are others. Aside from the sheer mass, waste produced, food and humidity and temp requirements (as she also alluded to), and as you did, cage size, there is the obvious risks. A Boa bite for example, smarts for a minute or two. A burm bite probably needs many stitches, etc. It could be a food response bite (not defensive/aggressive) or could just be having a bad day. It doesn't matter. You are at risk.

If you can accept all this, and don't keep other animals in the house that would be mistaken for food, it's your prerogative to make a 20-30 year commitment to an animal like that.

For what's it's worth, I love Burmese. I've held large ones and they can have a great demeanor. However, I NEVER WANT ONE.

I've been keeping reptiles for well over 20 years and have 13 in my collection, with my boas being the largest (although some are smaller now). I've handled many boas, including large ones, and they are impressive animals, come in many colors and patterns, and are fun and inquisitive when out, but I can handle them on my own safely.

Not sure what you heard about Boa's temperament, but they can be nippy as babies (like most snake species), but most are total puppy dogs when bigger (and many are as youngsters too). Behira, my female ghost BI, is incredibly chill (almost 4 and has been since day 1), as is Jeff my male BI (he's about 1 year now), and Feliz, my BC. I've held many boas are unless food is involved, they are generally amazing pets.

There are others on here who have kept Burmese only to get have to rehome them when they got bigger. The same with even dwarf retics. Many have rehired their 8-10 foot SD Retics as they can be a handful. That's a 30 pound snake versus a 200 pound snake. Yes, can be different temperament, but still.

My advice to you is to keep being passionate, enjoy the hobby, and grow in it and see where it leads. Size of an animal doesn't necessarily equate to enjoyment. I love my corn snakes, and my leopard geckos, my leachie and chewie, my BP, and my carpet python, and my Blue Tongue too. They are all great in their own ways.

Do your research. There are many larger (and smaller animals) that are fun to keep and are impressive in their own right.

Go to shows, reptile stores, talk to people who do presentations, animals rescues, etc. Get the facts. Do not rely on me, or anyone else on here alone. However, keep asking questions, learn as much as you can, and enjoy the heck out of this awesome hobby.

I would hate to see you get in over your head, or anyone else for that matter (including me), by getting a Burmese, having to rehome, or worse, and losing passion in the hobby. Too many people get passionate and burn out well before their animals reach their life expectancy because they get too many too fast and/or they are too young and life changes.

Not to mention significant others. I was lucky to get 3 boas!
    Last edited by dakski; 03-05-2020 at 09:43 AM.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-05-2020),Craiga 01453 (03-05-2020),Linseylou (03-05-2020),MissterDog (03-05-2020),Reinz (03-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    Where are you living that you need a permit for a Burmese python? Some localities and states where permits are required may never issue them, or the permits are only issued to facilities like zoos or rehab centers, creating a de-facto ban. So, depending on your location, your first step if you want a Burm may well be an out-of-state move.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-05-2020),Craiga 01453 (03-05-2020),Linseylou (03-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    Definitely, it becomes a challenge because like they said, you need 2 people once it reaches 10 ft or so.

Plus, what happens if it doesn't have the most favorable temperament? I will tell you, it makes simple tasks much more difficult, which is then compounded by the large size. There's 2+ people on this forum alone that have rehomed SD retics that can attest to this.

But only you know if your situation is right for such a commitment, so I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't do it.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Linseylou (03-05-2020)

Thanks

yeah, that definitely makes sense. I would always have another person there for safety reasons, but like you said, idk how it would turn out if I get a really mean one lol. I'll keep all that in mind, thanks for answering!
    Last edited by Linseylou; 03-05-2020 at 02:03 PM.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Burmese python as a pet?

Strictly answering your question, of course Im bias owning Burmese Pythons for the last 31 years, they are the Best Giant Python to start out with. Notice I said Giant, not Best Python.
    Like others have said, your looking at 11’ to 16’ depending on sex. I do not over feed and my 24 year old is around 15’6” I think..
    The largest enclosure I have is 8’Lx3’Dx2’H.
    I take all my Pythons out several times a week. The Balls for shorter periods of time as I only keep them out as long as they want. I can read them very well.
    Burms Require a lot more time whether you’re considering the cleaning aspect or spending time with them.
    Mine have always wanted to come out and sometimes do not want to go back in hahaha.. because I’m responsible for their well-being I do not just put them away when I feel like it, I’ve had to make sure my lifestyle fits around their needs. Its only fair since I signed up for it. 60% of Burm Hatchling are nippy as hell for as little as 2 weeks until a month or so. This is under the impression someone understands snakes. I’ve had a few people tell me they keep getting tagged by their baby Burm after several months and when I watch them they reach over the top of the snake or move quickly around it making it defensive. Burms are very smart. They watch your every move. Nothing like a ball python who will strike out strait no matter how your holding them, a Burm will turn around and snap you in the wrist quick. These are all things to consider. There are to many things to cover in this comment but I have a page on FB if you want to read what I have written in the Announcement Section there. Its a Hatchling to Adult 101. As a matter of fact, I believe I posted it on this forum also a couple years ago. I’ll look for the link on here and post it in this Thread if I can find it.
    Facebook: My Burmese Group.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/8705...484/?ref=share

Here is the Link on this FORUM.
    Burmese Pythons 101 : A look into keeping. The Basics.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 03-05-2020 at 04:14 PM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-05-2020),Bogertophis (03-05-2020),Craiga 01453 (03-05-2020),dakski (03-05-2020),GoingPostal (03-06-2020),Reinz (03-06-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    My two cents: if you have any doubts, don't do it. They are amazing animals, but not for everyone.

I'm a 230 pound adult male with close to 15 years experience keeping snakes and I will not bring a Burm into my home. I'm also 41 and won't want to be trying to handle a 12+ ft Burm into my 60s at least. Burns are a HUGE commitment.

So to me, unless you're 100% certain you can handle this animals needs for 20+ years, as well as have the required space and people in your life to help you, it's not worth it. There are plenty of other species that you can look into that get good size but are much more manageable.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-05-2020),dakski (03-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,817 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Linseylou View Post
    ...I would rather get a Burmese python than a boa, due to their amazing, and normally pretty nice personalities...
    I understand that you were impressed by the Burm that you met, but actually living with a giant snake takes lots more than just admiration. I also think you're misinformed about boas, as they normally have nice personalities too. I say this based upon (1) having worked with an injured Argentine for a time, (2) being an active member of snake forums for 11 years, and (3) having owned (rescued) an "ornery" mishandled & unwanted yearling BCI, calmed her down in only about 2 months to a reliably-cuddly boa that never bit me even once, & she was my pet for 12 years until she moved in with friends of mine who were more into large boas than I ever intended to be. She was, by that time, a good 7.5' long, & while she was always docile with me (she snuggled around me while I watched movies) I sometimes had quite the "rodeo" trying to get her back into her enclosure, and with only one pair of hands to do so, I felt that her size required more hands on deck. Don't forget that snakes grow their entire lives, & while their growth does slow down, it doesn't stop...and just like kids who grow up taller than their parents, some snakes grow larger than their genetics would have predicted. Just saying...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-05-2020 at 05:47 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-05-2020)

Thanks

You definitely got some great advice here.

I'll just add: don't sleep on some of the more manageable species that get larger than a ball python but nowhere near a giant snake.
    I know you said you would prefer a burm to a boa, but boas are AMAZING animals. I think you have to spend some time around them to appreciate how impressive they are. They are usually more inquisitive than a ball python which is pretty cool.

Python options to consider are carpets and bloods, both get big but not unmanageable by any means.

Just food for thought...
    I'm not your friend buddy!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djansen For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-05-2020),dakski (03-05-2020),GoingPostal (03-06-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast