Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,421

3 members and 3,418 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Complete my project

I have 2.1 albino pied and .2 albino het pied right now. I want to pick up two more females over the next couple of weeks. What two females would y’all pick up to add to this group?

I think it would be interesting if I could get your guys top two higher end females ($1000 ea) and top two lower end females

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Complete my project

What is the end-goal of your project?

If it was me and I already had a bunch of Albino Pieds: I would probably add Tri-Stripe to the combo.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks

Honestly, I don't have a direction. I wanted to produce some Albino Pied, and think I have that covered. I'm looking to add 2 more females, but every combo I see I easily fall in love with. I like them all and am alittle overwhelmed. I was just wondering if with the group I have now , what everyone thought they would add to stay relevant and marketable?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeshrews1 View Post
    Honestly, I don't have a direction. I wanted to produce some Albino Pied, and think I have that covered. I'm looking to add 2 more females, but every combo I see I easily fall in love with. I like them all and am alittle overwhelmed. I was just wondering if with the group I have now , what everyone thought they would add to stay relevant and marketable?
    With no direction, why do you want to breed?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    With no direction, why do you want to breed?

First off why do I need a direction? Because you say I do? Second I did have a direction: Albino Pied which I now have covered. Now I was looking for suggestions on what others might add. Insight is supposed to be what these types of forums are for. If I wanted condescending questions, I'd ask a facebook group. Suggestions, help, and insight are what drives the hobby forward. Your type of questions are what kill peoples budding passion. I guess you've never been talking with a friend and said "ya know I'm not sure what i'm going to pair up with her yet"

Edit:
    I know I'm being pissy here, but dude, I asked a simple question. This should have been a fun thread with people throwing out hypothetical "I'd add this" suggestions.
    Last edited by Mikeshrews1; 03-05-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Ball python breeding is an incredibly over saturated market as it is. What’s “in” or “relevant” right now might not be profitable in a year or two. No one’s trying to be a buzz kill. Just asking you realistic questions about your motivation behind breeding these animals.

The real answer to your question is this: breed animals that interest you and bring you joy and that you will be invested in caring for for 20-30yrs in the event that you are unable to sell/place/home them.

Your statements of no direction, interested in every combo you see, overwhelmed are things we see here all the time and are often red flags to be honest. Those of us on these forums that really care about keeping and providing for these animals are not going to sugar coat our answers for the palatability of those that are asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Absololol (07-03-2020),Craiga 01453 (03-05-2020),Sonny1318 (03-07-2020)

Thanks

I've been growing up the ones I have for 2.5 years (females). I thought I could ask a simple "hey what would you guys do?"

Red flags of what exactly?

I didin't say profitability, I said marketability. Not considering marketability is irresponsible breeding

So your telling me that if your talking with your friend and you tell them " yeah I've got these 3 nice females and two males and I want to add a couple more females, but there are so many combinations, I just can't decide, what do you think".......... your friend should call the aspca, because you have no direction and are overwhelmed with all the options

I'm sure all of you do homes visits before you sell hatchlings to anyone, to make sure everything is perfect

*On a side note: Are we all supposed to be working right now, but really just online talking snakes?
    Last edited by Mikeshrews1; 03-05-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Complete my project

Cool it dude.

Following the demands of a market when getting started vs following your passion is a good way to burn out quick. I’ve been keeping reptiles for a quarter of a century and have seen it happen all around me countless times.

We’re just asking you to consider why YOU want to do this. Given your hostility to our constructive questions/responses, how likely are you to follow suggestions as to new animals?

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 03-05-2020 at 04:42 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-07-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

First off why do I need a direction? Because you say I do? Second I did have a direction: Albino Pied which I now have covered. Now I was looking for suggestions on what others might add. Insight is supposed to be what these types of forums are for. If I wanted condescending questions, I'd ask a facebook group. Suggestions, help, and insight are what drives the hobby forward. Your type of questions are what kill peoples budding passion. I guess you've never been talking with a friend and said "ya know I'm not sure what i'm going to pair up with her yet"

Edit:
    I know I'm being pissy here, but dude, I asked a simple question. This should have been a fun thread with people throwing out hypothetical "I'd add this" suggestions.
    Wow, talk about turning a simple question into an issue.

Nope, you don't need a direction because I said so. But you SHOULD have a direction since these are living animals and not Pokemon collectables that you collect while it's fun then throw in a closet.

And now you're contradicting yourself, first saying you don't have a direction, now saying you do....

I'm sorry you find my question to be condescending, but a mature adult would have understood that it's actually a FANTASTIC question.

If you allow one little question to derail your "budding passion" that's on you.

I've been growing up the ones I have for 2.5 years (females). I thought I could ask a simple "hey what would you guys do?"

Red flags of what exactly?

I didin't say profitability, I said marketability. Not considering marketability is irresponsible breeding

So your telling me that if your talking with your friend and you tell them " yeah I've got these 3 nice females and two males and I want to add a couple more females, but there are so many combinations, I just can't decide, what do you think".......... your friend should call the aspca, because you have no direction and are overwhelmed with all the options

I'm sure all of you do homes visits before you sell hatchlings to anyone, to make sure everything is perfect

*On a side note: Are we all supposed to be working right now, but really just online talking snakes?
    Now you're just being ridiculous. Nobody said anything about calling ASPCA, nobody said anything about home visits.

And here's the best part....you still haven't answered my question, WHY do you want to breed. If you can't answer that question, you shouldn't be breeding.

And as jmcrook mentioned, the BP market is ridiculously over saturated. There are over 15,500 ball pythons for sale just on morohmarket right now, that's just one sales platform. As a breeder with no reputation it may be extremely difficult to sell your animals. Are you prepared to keep all 6 or 8 babies?
    Are you prepared to cull babies with birth defects? Are you qualified to determine if a defect is life threatening?

All things to think about....and then maybe you'll be able to answer a simple question....
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 03-05-2020 at 04:53 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Absololol (07-03-2020),jmcrook (03-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Wow, talk about turning a simple question into an issue.

Nope, you don't need a direction because I said so. But you SHOULD have a direction since these are living animals and not Pokemon collectables that you collect while it's fun then throw in a closet.

And now you're contradicting yourself, first saying you don't have a direction, now saying you do....

I'm sorry you find my question to be condescending, but a mature adult would have understood that it's actually a FANTASTIC question.

If you allow one little question to derail your "budding passion" that's on you.

Now you're just being ridiculous. Nobody said anything about calling ASPCA, nobody said anything about home visits.

And here's the best part....you still haven't answered my question, WHY do you want to breed. If you can't answer that question, you shouldn't be breeding.

And as jmcrook mentioned, the BP market is ridiculously over saturated. There are over 15,500 ball pythons for sale just on morohmarket right now, that's just one sales platform. As a breeder with no reputation it may be extremely difficult to sell your animals. Are you prepared to keep all 6 or 8 babies?
    Are you prepared to cull babies with birth defects? Are you qualified to determine if a defect is life threatening?

All things to think about....and then maybe you'll be able to answer a simple question....
    I'm being ridiculous? You guys are the ones asking me to explain my passion with a full report. I was 100% honest from the beginning. I had 3 females and two males. I'd like to have a 3 female to 1 male ratio and add a couple females but am having a hard time finalizing my last females. should I just try for a bunch of albino pieds or is there something I'm missing that I might not even know about? It seems like a very fair and innocent question. You guys turned it into an interview to see if I was even worthy of breeding 5 female ball pythons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast