Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,986

0 members and 2,986 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Complete my project

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeshrews1 View Post
    I'm being ridiculous? You guys are the ones asking me to explain my passion with a full report. I was 100% honest from the beginning. I had 3 females and two males. I'd like to have a 3 female to 1 male ratio and add a couple females but am having a hard time finalizing my last females. should I just try for a bunch of albino pieds or is there something I'm missing that I might not even know about? It seems like a very fair and innocent question. You guys turned it into an interview to see if I was even worthy of breeding 5 female ball pythons.
    Obviously you can do whatever you want to do. But the fact that you still can't answer my question tells me you'd rather just ignore it. So since I'm basically talking to a wall I will wish you well and move on.

We're a passionate community who's seen animals dumped at pet store doors, dropped in dumpsters, left to die, etc...etc... So when we see people who can't answer WHY they want to breed, yeah, that concerns us.
    I'm not saying you're not qualified or passionate, just asked why you want to breed. I didn't discourage it or try to tell you it's a bad idea. I just asked why....

Oh well, hopefully you get the help you want, but when you can't answer question #1 most won't take you seriously or bother to reply.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Absololol (07-03-2020)

Thanks

since you want to see if I'm worthy of your world

I have no close friends and a teenage daughter who just started dating
    I've wished I was dead for years
    I have wanted a hobby for years, but nothing interested me
    I had anxiety and depression so bad I couldnt leave my house for 6 months and almost lost my job, at one point I was in the hospital because I hadn't slept for 3 weeks more than 2 hours a night
    Before 3 years ago I was terrified of snakes. I bought my first female on a whim at a reptile show and fell in love
    I slowly became addicted to ball pythons and for me they were a miracle
    I used to go to bed at 9 at night and now I stay up till 11:00 looking at forums like this one learning as much as I can
    I could have tried breeding three years ago, but didn't want to rush into it. So I bought a few snakes slowly over time
    My girls will be ready next year so I am trying to prepare
    I was just telling my brother that I feel this hobby is an answer to prayer
    Since getting into the hobby I’ve had hope and been able to look forward to the future
    Last edited by Mikeshrews1; 03-05-2020 at 05:39 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikeshrews1 For This Useful Post:

rufretic (03-07-2020),Sonny1318 (03-07-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Obviously you can do whatever you want to do. But the fact that you still can't answer my question tells me you'd rather just ignore it. So since I'm basically talking to a wall I will wish you well and move on.

We're a passionate community who's seen animals dumped at pet store doors, dropped in dumpsters, left to die, etc...etc... So when we see people who can't answer WHY they want to breed, yeah, that concerns us.
    I'm not saying you're not qualified or passionate, just asked why you want to breed. I didn't discourage it or try to tell you it's a bad idea. I just asked why....

Oh well, hopefully you get the help you want, but when you can't answer question #1 most won't take you seriously or bother to reply.

This post made me understand your position a little better

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikeshrews1 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-07-2020),Sonny1318 (03-07-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

since you want to see if I'm worthy of your world

I have no close friends and a teenage daughter who just started dating
    I've wished I was dead for years
    I have wanted a hobby for years, but nothing interested me
    I had anxiety and depression so bad I couldnt leave my house for 6 months and almost lost my job, at one point I was in the hospital because I hadn't slept for 3 weeks more than 2 hours a night
    Before 3 years ago I was terrified of snakes. I bought my first female on a whim at a reptile show and fell in love
    I slowly became addicted to ball pythons and for me they were a miracle
    I used to go to bed at 9 at night and now I stay up till 11:00 looking at forums like this one learning as much as I can
    I could have tried breeding three years ago, but didn't want to rush into it. So I bought a few snakes slowly over time
    My girls will be ready next year so I am trying to prepare
    I was just telling my brother that I feel this hobby is an answer to prayer
    Since getting into the hobby I’ve had hope and been able to look forward to the future
    Ok, nobody asked you to qualify yourself, and I don't have a world, I just live here with everyone else.

Hearing your story and how positive an impact snakes have had on you and your quality of life is awesome. They have the same impact on me. They're my tranquility in an otherwise crazy world.

Since you spilled, I will too...
    I got into this hobby over 20 years ago, I love these animals. I unfortunately went down the wrong road years ago and fell into a deep dark drug and alcohol addiction. I rehomed my animals when I knew I couldn't take care of myself, let alone them, who relied solely on me to survive. That was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but in hindsight, one I'm proud of.

Fast forward to a little over 7 years ago...I decided I wanted to live and got clean and sober. Easily the hardest thing I've ever done, but if I hadn't I'd be dead by now.
    After some clean time I got back into the hobby and reignited my passion.

Unfortunately, that's not the happy ending. It turns out just getting sober doesn't kill the demons. The depression and anxiety came back ten fold, but this time I couldn't drown everything by self medicating. So I'm currently learning how to "live" again. I was diagnosed bipolar and I'm in the process of working with my doctors to find what works for me. I may also be agoraphobic, so I very rarely leave the house. I lost my job cause I couldn't leave the house to go to work. Unfortunately we're still trying new things, no improvement so far...

I guess I told you all that to show you I'm not on a pedestal worthy of my own world or worthy of you qualifying yourself to me. I'm just passionate about this hobby. You and I are probably a lot alike.

jmcrook mentioned in his reply that we're a passionate bunch and often don't sugar-coat. He's right. We're happy to help, I love helping people enjoy the hobby I love so much. But we've seen hundreds of "what should I breed with my snake?" threads and unfortunately most of those people come and go as the dad passes. Collections go up for sale, animals are abandoned,etc... So that's a topic we tend to maybe be a bit "protective" about.

Please don't mistake our passion for discouragement. We're not trying to discourage you, just hoping you're in this for the right reasons and the animals are your top concern.

Hopefully now that we've both spilled we can move forward and enjoy these amazing animals together.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-05-2020),rufretic (03-07-2020),Sonny1318 (03-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Ok, all the previous discussion aside.

There are a few things that may interst you depending on the timescale you are envisioning.

Personally, I love dreamsicles - adding lavender albino into your plans is feasable but, obviously, doesn't take account of your albino pieds.

Another long term goal could be clowns.

Or you could go down the co-dom route to add extra genes into the albino pied project - I'm thinking more of leopard, pastel and yellow belly rather than things like spider. Black pastel is also a gene I'd consider for the look alone.

But all these are built around what I like - your tastes may differ greatly. Best possible advice? Head to world of ball pythons and find the combo that totally blows your socks off - then work out what you need to add to get there.

Add you current genes into the search bar and see where others have taken thier albino pied projects.

del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

rufretic (03-07-2020),Sonny1318 (03-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Best of luck, hopefully something beautiful will come from this thread. Peace. I too have some serious health issues (terminally ill). Had kept snakes most my life, I have four now. And they bring me great happiness. I think Craig is a genuinely good guy, just trying to do and advise what’s best.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-07-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Best of luck, hopefully something beautiful will come from this thread. Peace. I too have some serious health issues (terminally ill). Had kept snakes most my life, I have four now. And they bring me great happiness. I think Craig is a genuinely good guy, just trying to do and advise what’s best.
    Thanks man. I try to be a good guy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

I have 2.1 albino pied and .2 albino het pied right now. I want to pick up two more females over the next couple of weeks. What two females would y’all pick up to add to this group?

I think it would be interesting if I could get your guys top two higher end females ($1000 ea) and top two lower end females

The two females I would add would be 2-3 co-dom gene and be het for either albino or pied, whichever you would like to make more of. It will add a ton of variety to your clutches and allow you to make some really nice multi gene recessive animals. Picking the co-dom genes is more of a personal preference but for albinos I like the darker genes like leopard, black pastel and black head. If you go the pied direction, I like the ones that will make a big difference in color like yb, od and enchi because I like low to medium white pied over high white. But in the end you have to make what you like so it's best to research what has been made and decide what you like the best. Good luck!

Thanks

Thanks guy. Sorry I went so serious

i was a bit hostile.
    i appreciate you guys and your commitment. Also thanks for the ideas.

Craiga: from your story you sound like a very strong person. Keep fighting the good fight, and thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12