Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,844

1 members and 2,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

bioactive enclosure without isopods and springtails?

I have been looking a lot into getting a crested gecko recently, but I have a question regarding its enclosure. I've heard bioactive set-ups are great at keeping the terrarium clean, they can even start to make the own eco-system and just overall just looks really nice, but to make a bioactive enclosure, do I have to add springtails and isopods? I know they are a big part in keeping the terrarium clean, since after all, they are the main cleanup crew, but in all honesty, I really just can't stand to touch or hold any kid of bugs. Don't get me wrong, bugs are a big part in creation, and God made them Himself with a purpose, but I personally don't like touching them. I don't kill bugs when I see them, but its just that I don't want to have springtails jumping in the enclosure and isopods on my crestie when I go to get It out. So do I have to add springtails and isopods to make a bioactive set-up?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have 3 bioactive setups (Leachie, Garg and Chahoua) and never had to touch any isopod, neither do they jump, neither I have ever found one on any of my animals.

If you want to have a true bioactive setup than yes isopods are part of it otherwise it's only a naturalistic looking setup, they clean and their waste provide food for the plants.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-05-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

John1982 (03-05-2020)

Thanks

Re: bioactive enclosure without isopods and springtails?

Oh okay! Do you add springtails as well into your set-up? Also how often do you have to completely change out the soil and everything? Somewhere I read that It can last up to 10 years without a soil change, but that sounded like quite a long time! And when you do completely change It out, what do you do with all the springtails and isopods living in It? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just new to the whole reptile hobby thing!
    Last edited by Linseylou; 03-05-2020 at 01:41 AM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Linseylou View Post
    Oh okay! Do you add springtails as well into your set-up? Also how often do you have to completely change out the soil and everything? Somewhere I read that It can last up to 10 years without a soil change, but that sounded like quite a long time! And when you do completely change It out, what do you do with all the springtails and isopods living in It? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just new to the whole reptile hobby thing!
    While I have been keeping geckos for over a decade it's only recently that I switched to a bioactive setup (about a year ago) so as far as cleaning we will see, the main cleaning is the glass of the enclosures (food and poop smeared all over )

I do not have springtails I have dwarf white and orange isopods. Dwarf white isopods are perfect, too small for geckos to see, bigger isopods like orange ones can become a target depending on the gecko. In two of my enclosures the orange isopods colony is doing well in the other not so much as they turned into a food source.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I always wondered about if the gecko would eat the springtails lol. The bioactive set-up is starting to look really nice for my future gecko lol!