Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,960

1 members and 2,959 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Does she look good to go.

I’m 3 months into the breeding season now and this female has successfully locked 4 times, and went off food mid feb is she looking good to go? She’s loosing Weight each week she doesn’t eat she was 1850g and is now 1634g
    . Please let me no thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    THere is not way someone can tell you based on a picture where a female stands breeding wise unless you post a picture of an ovulation.

To know it's about physical examination and changed as well as behaviour changes.

As breeding season progresses female gain weight but depending on when you do your weigh in your reading may not reflect the situation accurately.

So did you see an ovulation?

Where does the female spend most of her time when at rest?

Did you notice any changes (behaviour or physical)?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Does she look good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    THere is not way someone can tell you based on a picture where a female stands breeding wise unless you post a picture of an ovulation.

To know it's about physical examination and changed as well as behaviour changes.

As breeding season progresses female gain weight but depending on when you do your weigh in your reading may not reflect the situation accurately.

So did you see an ovulation?

Where does the female spend most of her time when at rest?

Did you notice any changes (behaviour or physical)?
    I haven’t seen an ovulation (unless I missed it) but no sheds recently either, since start of feb shes being cool seeking and bowl wrapping she also has gone really bright on her kneck and head, when she’s around her bowl she looks lumpy u can kinda see it in the photo I’m not sure if that’s good or bad, but also she’s very active when she’s not around her bowl she’s always trying to get out. I try feeding her weekly but she’s never interested anymore. I usually weigh her once every week along with the males just to make sure everyone’s up the size and healthy.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

since start of feb shes being cool seeking and bowl wrapping she also has gone really bright on her neck and head,
    She is still building up and has not ovulated yet, which mean not yet gravid.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hick0 View Post
    I’m 3 months into the breeding season now and this female has successfully locked 4 times, and went off food mid feb is she looking good to go? She’s loosing Weight each week she doesn’t eat she was 1850g and is now 1634g
    . Please let me no thanks.

Did you get a clean weight of 1800+ or was this with a meal in her? I'd be slightly concerned the snake is dropping a hundred grams a week. Especially if she is gravid. Have you felt for follicles in the snake?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    Did you get a clean weight of 1800+ or was this with a meal in her? I'd be slightly concerned the snake is dropping a hundred grams a week. Especially if she is gravid. Have you felt for follicles in the snake?
    That’s what I’m concerned about too, she went off food 7ths feb and is just dropping weight now that’s why I’m posting this thread, I have palpated her but Iv not felt anything I’m not the best at doing it, I weight her at 1856g at the end of January that was 3 days after she fed too if that’s any help?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hick0 View Post
    That’s what I’m concerned about too, she went off food 7ths feb and is just dropping weight now that’s why I’m posting this thread, I have palpated her but Iv not felt anything I’m not the best at doing it, I weight her at 1856g at the end of January that was 3 days after she fed too if that’s any help?

Well a medium rat typically weighs anywhere from 90 - 135ish grams.. That might account for some of the weight. Only thing you can do at this point is leave her alone and just offer her food every 5-7 days. Look for ovulation and or a shed and mark the dates. Without ultrasound you are limited with your options.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

Hick0 (03-04-2020)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Also remember that breeding can take 4-8months to build. Just be patient, It sounds like she's still building her follicles, keep trying to offer food too, even if its a smaller meal than normal so she knows there is food available if she reproduces offspring.

I noticed that sometimes if food isn't being offered like normal they could re-absorb the follicles too (i think that happened to one of mine this season) Keep an eye on her weight to make sure she isn't losing too much too quickly.

Here's the chart I like to use

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Alexiel03; 03-04-2020 at 02:39 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexiel03 For This Useful Post:

Hick0 (03-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

To be honest,

If a female was losing weight during the breeding cycle I'd probably pull her from the rotation, before building and ovulation she should ideally be eating like a Scotsman at a deep-fried mars bar buffet.
    If she ovulates then there is little you can do but giving her an extra year without breeding is not a bad thing as she will probably lay more eggs with time as she grows.

del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.