Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

0 members and 3,104 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: New boa owner, and I've got some questions

Quote Originally Posted by Shyanna View Post
    I will look into that, thanks. I did my research for 3 months and thought I was prepared... I do have one more question though. I called my vet and my reptile vet will not be in till Wednesday morning. Is there anything I can do until then? I would take her to another vet but it's pretty cold out and it would be about a 3 hour drive to get her to someone, and that's if they even had and opening today.
    I would advise "wait & see" (if you see bubbles in mouth, etc) as I suspect you won't. It's not worth risking a long ride in car in bad weather att, it's just NOT.

If you ever do need to take her somewhere, it's best to bag her securely, then put that into an "ice chest" or styrofoam box with padding & a COVERED (!) bottle of hot waterto keep it warm inside with minimal air flow needed for cold air to get in....you might test this out sometime so if you ever have to do it, you'll do it correctly & safely, & you'd want to monitor the temps so it's not TOO hot either. (I used this technique during a 4-day long power outage in winter ice storm, all my snakes were comfy & safe, none got even remotely sick. I avoided opening the chests until I had to change the water, about every 8-9 hours, since my house was at 45*- & that was plenty of air for 3 snakes each in large ice chests. Any questions, just ask...)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-02-2020 at 02:49 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (03-02-2020)

Thanks

Re: New boa owner, and I've got some questions

Well the weather warmed up quite nicely yesterday and I got her in to see someone; although it wasn't my normal vet. She seemed concerned about her weight. I've only had her about a week and she has fed once, so weight I'm sure, will come with time. She was worried about an RI and gave me oral Baytril. I waited until this morning to give her the first dose, but I wish I had come back and read this first.

The more I read the more I think I'm overreacting to all this. Also, what one of you said about comparing her to my ball python kind of shook me out of my stupor. I'm acting like she is a ball python, and clearly, she isn't. I think the fact that she is just super tiny also has me scared. Hell my BP was bigger than her when I got her.

I don't know if I should continue the oral Baytril at this point. I don't want to give her medicine if she truly doesn't need it and that other vet was just agreeing with me and moving on. Also don't know if I should keep my appointment with my normal vet tomorrow? I don't want to stress her out and make her sick. Would love everyone's opinion, but I feel like I should leave well enough alone.

I'm a lot less worried now though, so thank you all for that. After reading everyone's posts, I'm pretty sure she's fine and she unfortunately got and overprotective, overly worried owner.

On a different note, what are your opinions on radiant heat panels?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12