Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,327

2 members and 3,325 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Wrinkles (but high humidity)

hello! First I wanna say thanks to everyone who responded on my last thread! You helped me a lot!

I came home a few days ago to my snake EXTREMELY wrinky. I freaked out a little, but soaked him and put his humidity higher.

Just today, he’s been showing wrinkles again. I’m very confused though, because his humidity has been between 55-80% this whole time. Are the wrinkles not from dehydration? Also when I came home to him very wrinkly like I said earlier, his humidity was between 40-75%

For anyone asking about shed, he shed not too long ago, maybe a month. He also hasn’t entered blue eye stage as well. Is he entering another shedding stage so soon? Is there something else wrong? Is it just dehydration?

If you are wondering about humidity conditions, my last thread (tiny folds in skin?) has a very detailed explanation of his humidity. Here’s some basics

20 gal cage

humidty is between 55-80%

warm side is 88-90 with a heating mat (if he wants belly heat, he mainly uses it after eating and when it’s especially cold outside)

cool side 70-80

please respond with any info! Everything helps!
    Last edited by mkspain; 02-29-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks

Re: Wrinkles (but high humidity)

I’m new at this myself but it’s got me curious. Can you post any pictures? There’s a lot of good people here who knows what they’re doing so help is on the way!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Damien79 View Post
    I’m new at this myself but it’s got me curious. Can you post any pictures? There’s a lot of good people here who knows what they’re doing so help is on the way!!
    Hm. I’m having trouble uploading my own photos, but here’s some on the internet that look very similar to him

https://images.app.goo.gl/x3mDqrCjajCe7zZF6

https://images.app.goo.gl/NXAfHvNMuxaMvJc79

i hope these help! Sorry I couldn’t get my own photos, but these two are basically the two things I’m seeing on him.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mkspain For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2020),Damien79 (03-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Hi .. I’m in the uk and the default treatment for a ‘wrinkly snake’ .. which can often suggest dehydration or part dehydration- especially one kept in decent humidity - is a 30 minute soak .

If it’s done properly I can almost guarantee that the snake will look instantly better / plumper .. a soak can often trigger a feeding response to one that’s been fasting .

It’s like us if you’re dehydrated you feel terrible and don’t function properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2020),Damien79 (03-01-2020),Sonny1318 (03-02-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mkspain View Post
    Hm. I’m having trouble uploading my own photos, but here’s some on the internet that look very similar to him

https://images.app.goo.gl/x3mDqrCjajCe7zZF6

https://images.app.goo.gl/NXAfHvNMuxaMvJc79

i hope these help! Sorry I couldn’t get my own photos, but these two are basically the two things I’m seeing on him.
    If your snake looks like this he really needs some HELP. You mentioned he shed OK (?) a month ago, & young snakes can shed once a month, but looking like this is serious dehydration for which a snake needs help. I have to wonder if your humidity gauge is accurate, & the other thing that will dry out a snake is excessive heat, so are you sure your temps are the correct range?

If his enclosure is on point, something else is wrong: I assume he's eating? How long after he eats is he defecating? As soon as you he gives you a FRESH stool sample, get it to a herp-qualified veterinarian to check for parasites...if my hunch is correct, he may have "worms" that can kill him if you wait too long. Parasites can cause your snake's dehydration & it's nothing to fool with...if adequate humidity & soaks aren't solving this, there is something wrong & he needs your help A.S.A.P.

Also, do you know what snake mites look like? Are you SURE he doesn't have any? Check the water bowl, check him closely. Mites kill by dehydration too-
    each one is so tiny, you'd think it wouldn't matter when they can only take a tiny bit of blood, but their numbers multiply exponentially & they kill snakes by
    dehydration...which causes shock, circulatory & organ failure etc. You need to get on this NOW, whether he has internal or external parasites, or both.

You might also get some UN-flavored Pedialyte & mix with his drinking water (50:50) and soak him in that also.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-01-2020 at 01:10 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mkspain View Post
    ...cool side 70-80....
    You want to keep your cool side a little higher...not below 75* and more like 80*.

How are you taking the temps.? (accuracy matters, same for humidity)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-01-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks
    Looks like a full body stuck shed. I had that once with a baby. I put it on a damp paper towel and humidity was probably 80-90% and it shed a couple days later. Raise the humidity Asap

10. The Following User Says Thank You to highqualityballz For This Useful Post:

Damien79 (03-02-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by highqualityballz View Post
    Looks like a full body stuck shed. I had that once with a baby. I put it on a damp paper towel and humidity was probably 80-90% and it shed a couple days later. Raise the humidity Asap
    I didn’t even know that was possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Damien79 View Post
    I didn’t even know that was possible.
    Now you know. It's way better to avoid it, & snakes with underlying health issues (like parasites inside or out) may present this way, so it bears serious scrutiny.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-02-2020 at 09:51 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Damien79 (03-03-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Now you know. It's way better to avoid it, & snakes with underlying health issues (like parasites inside or out) may present this way, so it bears serious scrutiny.
    I Learn something new everyday here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast